Progress on the NWT Study Bible

by slimboyfat 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The Society has been working on the NWT Study Bible since the revised NWT was released in 2013. So far they done the NT up to Philemon. That makes about 17% of the entire Bible including the Hebrew/Aramaic scriptures. At that rate the Study Edition of the whole NWT will be completed sometime around the year 2077.

• PetrW
    PetrW

I remember some article in WT or some other literature (sometime between 1990 and about 2005 when I read it) that mentioned the case of some medieval applicant for admission to some Catholic order. He couldn't get in somehow, so he memorized(!!!) the entire(!!!) Bible. The article came out - as I recall - negatively, in the sense that the person in question had made an unaddressed effort but had chosen the wrong church...or something like that.

The main point of why I recall this is that something similar is now - a few decades later - being attempted in the WT as well. They think that by accurately translating, they will achieve something better. In part, yes, but I think they are just repeating what they were giving decades ago as an argument against unnecessary bigotry.

The text of the Bible more accurately: megapixels or printing ink and paper - the "letter" becomes an idol.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" They think that by accurately translating, " They have zero interest in accurately translating and properly rendering Scripture, to do so would expose many of their doctrines etc, as VERY dodgy !

Slimboy, I wonder if they perhaps are losing some people tasked with this work ? This happened to a guy who used to Post here 20 or so years ago, when he worked on Translating the French edition of the NWT. Was his name Nicolai or similar ? he often commented on Leo's Threads, and had a very good knowledge of Hebrew and Greek.

The present team have to go back to the best MSS, have to look at how other Versions render Scriptures, and ask why, dangerous territory for a JW !

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Their ’Study’ Bible is suspiciously missing commentary on things that are inconvenient. For example, JW dogma places Jesus’ presence before the great tribulation, but Matthew 24:21, 29 clearly places it after the great tribulation. Their ‘solution’? Completely ignore reference to those verses in their study notes. 🤦‍♂️
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Their ‘solution’? Completely ignore reference to those verses in their study notes." Yes they do that most "studiously" LOL.

I also have noticed in the existing Study Bible that the footnotes they do give often ignore the latest , or even quite old Scholarship, on the verses in question, where the learned comments of a number of Scholars are at variance with J.W Dogma. Of course they do, but that means the publication is of little use to someone wishing to understand what the Bible Writers really said, and worthless to the serious student digging as deep as possible.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Phizzy

To prove your point look no farther that the 2013 revision of Lev.5:1.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yup, and that one is not even subtle ! they have added words changing the whole point of the verse, obviously because Translating it honestly plainly shows the G.B. and Org. are guilty of this VERY Sin ! and should be fully accountable !

Here is an honest rendering from the NIV : " “‘If anyone sins because they do not speak up when they hear a public charge to testify regarding something they have seen or learned about, they will be held responsible."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t understand how the meaning of Leviticus 5.1 has been changed. I have a possible idea but I’m not sure I understand the point being made here. Can you explain the meaning of the new rendering compared with the old one and what phrase changes it?

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Please read Barbara Anderson's essay; "Flawed Decrees Conceal Criminals"

Please Google Commentary on Lev.5: 1, open Bible Hub, where you get the court room setting.

Please Read the Sept. 1987 article "A Time to Speak When?". [If I remember right someone put the whole article on my post pertaining to Jesse Somlett}.

The church teaches that the man doing the "public cursing" is a sinner that the "witness" is required to report to elders for investigation.The NIV and RNWT says that when a "call to testify" is put forth by the Jewish court than anyone in the community who has knowledge of the crime under investigation is required to come forth with testimony in order to keep the community crime free.

Paragraph 6 of the 1987 Sept.1 Wt. article says that the man doing the public cursing is a crime victim and that the "public cursing" is not profanity. The first two sentences of par 7 there is a deception and a switch regarding the "witness", where in par. 6 the witness is a witness to a crime. In par 7 the "witness" is turned into a Gestapo informant.

This article was written in 1987!!! In 1975 the Matt.24:34 imploded. The years of 1980-83 were years of the church being without a rudder. In 1984 the church introduced the "obedience to the Organization mantra". That was a package deal, a conspiracy to create the the transition of a "faithful slave" into a "wicked slave" Matt.24: 48-51. Necessitated by the inability to replace the fertile mind of Fred Franz to continue the Matt. 24:34 narrative past the "master delaying" in 1975. The package deal of the 1984 conspiracy comprised; unquestioned obedience to GB, a new enemy the "apostate" was slowly weaved into the narrative, the sanction of "shunning" was introduced. As prior to 1984 the "apostate" and "shunning did not exist in church teaching. To understand the switching the "witness" from being a witness in a court room setting par6, into being a "Gestapo informant" in par 7. Is to understand that the article "A Time to Speak When?" was a highly crafted deception fabricated for the purpose of creating a "hunting license" to ferret out "apostates" meant to "divide and conquer" opposition to Church authority. In short create the situation of today Matt. 24: 48-51.!

As Phizzy said the the deception "was not even subtle"!

The problem is the revision of Lev 5:1 in the 2013 RNWT fully reveals the deception for the purpose of creating a means for the church to ferret out apostates.The church has cloaked the "new light" of the revision of Lev.5:1 in silence. To teach the "new light" of the 2013 revision is to reveal that the church uses deception to fabricate apostate policy designed as a "snare" to hold peoples minds into captivity to church authority Matt.24: 48-51.

The real problem is the standing the deception of the "Gestapo informant policy" next to the church's blood policy, is to understand that the church uses deception for the purpose of putting humans into mental captivity to solve the 1975 fiasco, brings up the question; what moral, ethical legal requirement does the church have to reveal to families that are required to forfeit human life as a church membership, which is enforced by "SHUNNING"!

To understand the 2013 RNWT revision of Lev.5:1 is to understand the church is guilty of MURDER!

If indeed you do read Barbara Anderson's essay "Flawed Decrees Conceal Criminals" and the commentary on Bible Hub the light will be turned on in your brain the 1984 conspiracy that brought about the "apostate" and "shunning" the taking minds into Babylon-ish captivity.

• Blotty
    Blotty

I wonder what Benjamin Kedar kopfsteins opinion on this would be.
    an observation I have of the previous comment is the NWT never uses uses Lev 5:1 as a cross reference to any of the commented on scriptures which is interesting because they are 2 entirely different contexts
    (this may be an error on my part, I did a very quick search and may have missed something)

From what I can see it hasn't been altered at all in meaning rather in NWT style has changed the wording slightly - but all translations do this, e.g Romans 12:11 - which is another not translated literally at all, and infact is one where I would argue the meaning is distorted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit