Update on my recently disfellowshipped niece

by keyser soze 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    keyser soze
    Can l ask what is her Mother's take on this ?
    At this point, I think she just wants her daughter to be healthy and happy. And she knows from personal experience how cruel the disfellowshipping process is.
    She'll never leave the organization, but that has more to do with her dependency on her family and friends than it does her belief that it's "the truth". And the fact that she's ok with her daughter associating with me and my fiancé is very telling.

I'm so relieved to hear that your niece has you and your fiancé in her life! Hopefully, her mom will give her room to breathe. A suicide attempt is a horrific trauma to the entire family. I do hope that mom and dad are both getting some professional help for this.

One strong word of caution from family experience here-- please advise your niece's mom to dispense any necessary medications for your niece for the indefinite future. It will take quite a while for your niece to stabilize, and she should not have unmonitored access to medications.

Diane

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Sorry to hear this. There is an instruction in the elders book to contact the branch rather than disfellowship in cases where the person is suicidal. Too late now but maybe useful for others to know.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I think she was disfellowshipped first and then became suicidal due to the disfellowshipping.

I wonder what the branch thinks of that scenario.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Keyser, I am so excited that you are providing support for her and that she is feeling better. I'm glad she is getting good treatment.

Could you subtly point out to your sister that further involvement in the organization wluld likely be bad fof her mental health?

Some JWs seem to believe that suicide attempts after disfellowshipping are because of shame at having done something so bad that they needed to be disfellowshipped instead of the horrible practice of disfellowshipping itself.

• jhine
    jhine

Thanks , Keyser , for those replies , and yes thank goodness that you and your fiance are there for her .

Jan

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I really do believe wt has to be held more to account for its procedures and policies.
  • Lieu
    Lieu

This is why baptizing those under 18 yrs of age should not be allowed. Why make fun of Catholics for baptizing babies when you in essence are doing the same thing?

A teenager going through the hormone imbalance stage of life has no business getting baptized. They aren't even through the 'I need my peers to like and accept me' phase of life.

I'm glad to hear your niece is doing better. May her progress continue.

• jhine
    jhine

Lieu , the other thing is being baptised into most other denominations doesn't mean that they own you !

Jan

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I think she was disfellowshipped first and then became suicidal due to the disfellowshipping.

Yes, that's correct. There was really no hint before that she might be suicidal.

Could you subtly point out to your sister that further involvement in the organization wluld likely be bad fof her mental health?

Unfortunately, her response to all of this, rather than objectively examine the effects such a high-control religion has on young people, is to pull her two younger children out of school and have them homeschooled.

This is why baptizing those under 18 yrs of age should not be allowed 

Indeed. My niece was only 11 when she was baptized. The prospect that someone so young is somehow in position to make a lifetime commitment is beyond ridiculous.

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

Hey Keyser you are awesome for taking her in.

I love that and look to your example on that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit