Update on my recently disfellowshipped niece

by keyser soze 20 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I had posted about a month ago that my niece, who just turned 15, was getting disfellowshipped. I learned this past weekend that she tried to commit suicide. Between being df'd, and her dad not being around, it became too much for her. She spent a couple days in an institution after getting out of the hospital.

The good news is that she's doing a lot better. She spent the weekend with me and my fiancé. She's in counseling now. She also confided in us that she doesn't want to be a JW when gets out of school. Once she turns 18 and moves out of her mom's house, she's done with it all.

At least there's something positive to take from it.

• jhine
    jhine

Thank goodness that she has the sense and courage to walk away as soon as she can . It is disgraceful that a girll of 15 has been driven to such a desperate act .

Can l ask what is her Mother's take on this ?

Jan

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Why is the dad not around?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Sorry to hear about your niece but the fact that she's making plans for the future shows that she wants to live.

Keep encouraging her in her plans.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

So sorry to hear this but thank goodness she has you. Hope nothing gets in the way of your lifeline of help and communication with her.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Remind her:

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

JWs will blame all of her depression and problems on "leaving Jehovah" or "losing Jehovah's Blessing". But if you niece continues to plan ahead for her future, she'll prove them all wrong.

Good luck! (The harder one works, the "luckier" they become.)

Doc

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Why is the dad not around?

It's a complicated situation with her dad. The mom had full custody, and took the kids halfway across the country, so that he couldn't see them. He moved out of state after that. He also suffers from depression, which he's never treated and has difficulty holding down a job. But him and the ex have been speaking, and he's coming back in a couple months.

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry to hear this keyser. Having you two to give support will help greatly. My father kicked from minor sister out, no legal means for anyone else to keep her in school nor any financial support from her parents. The elders were no help and made the problem worse. She wasn't even df'd. Things were much better with our help, now a mother of 3 grown children and not a jw for 30 years.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Thank goodness that she has the sense and courage to walk away as soon as she can

I can't tell you how proud of her I am that she can see through the bs at such a young age. It took me until I was in my 20's. Too bad it took being treated so cruelly by an organization she believed to be so loving.

Keep encouraging her in her plans.

I intend to, even though I know I need to tread carefully. She's also grown close to my fiancé. We're both trying to show her that she has the world at her feet, and doesn't have to be shackled by the JW religion.

The irony of it is, that because of her being disfellowhipped, we're the only ones who will have any association with her, and are the only ones, other than her mother, influencing her.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Can l ask what is her Mother's take on this ?

At this point, I think she just wants her daughter to be healthy and happy. And she knows from personal experience how cruel the disfellowshipping process is.

She'll never leave the organization, but that has more to do with her dependency on her family and friends than it does her belief that it's "the truth". And the fact that she's ok with her daughter associating with me and my fiancé is very telling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit