Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper Case Closed

by Panda 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

Big Tex is a party pooper

Actually the paperback has new info by Peter Bowers about paper, fascinating (starts pg.174) .And there's other new stuff added. I re-read some last night and I still believe Sickert would've been convicted even today, even w/ out the mtDNA evidence.

This is the first of Cornwell's books I've read, but I plan to read more now that I know she's so into the forensics.

Yeru: I think I saw that show too. Where the heck have you been?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    Anyhow, he had a ton of surgeries as a kid to "Correct" it, and it's the general thought that they didn't correct anything, but actually pretty much mutilated it. Possibly making it impossible to "do the deed".

So, could explain a lot about his anger w/ women.

I should think he'd be more angry at DOCTORS. I know I would!

Nina

• Panda
    Panda

I would've thought that too. But it was his aunt and mother who took him for the surgery. And especially that nurse leaving him in pain all alone every night... Then of course a woman birthed him and his monstrousity. Can you imagine your urethra coming out the side of you penis? and the surgery's he had (3 by the time he was 5) would only make it worse, and probably chopped a bit more off each time. Good grief that poor kid. I wouldn't want my kid in an19th century hospital for reconstructive surgery...

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Plus she goes into the sociology of the time which was still that the sins of the parents were responsible for deformities in the children. Therefore it was his mother's fault, and the fact that she was illigetimate, and her gradmother was a dancehall whore, that caused his deformity--or so she spins her case. Like I said, it's really compelling. I have read other Ripper stuff, they all make it sound compelling of course, but I have to say--her findings while sometimes a bit circumstantial, just make you sit back at the end and say--it's got to be him!

For me the most damning thing was his artwork, his weird correspondences with everyone, his own facination with Jack the Ripper, his secret studios that no one knew about, etc. etc. He was just a weird dude.

• Panda
    Panda

Oh and the childrens poem his sister wrote inher book that they said when they played. Jack something *** anyway Ripper also had a meaning to him (Sickert). He drowned his sick wifes dog, put her upstairs so he couldn't hear her if she needed help, she died and he made a mockery of her funeral. He really hated women who he considered the dregs (as his one grandmother had been.)

Oh and how about those ugly models he used to paint... never a pretty one. And I never realised all of those other murders --- now that creeped me out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit