For those brought up in the borg, How would of your life been different ?

by run dont walk 19 Replies latest jw friends

• shotgun
    shotgun

1. My mother would have left my abusive father and taken our family to a different province where we could have grown up without the constant threat of violence and daily verbal abuse......the elders convinced her to stay on two seperate occasions.....he was a fine MS though full of holy spirit at the hall and regular in meeting attendance.

2. I would have a family....today even though we are a large family we are distant and rarely talk, every one got out of the house at an early age and rarely went back to visit.

That's enough wining by me for today.......................

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

It is really impossible to hypothesize who I would be - but I wouldn't be me, that's certain.

I don't know how my mom would have dealt with her depression. She might have become more functional. That would have changed my childhood dramatically. Or, she might have fallen into the violent alcoholic pit of her family background, which would have changed my childhood dramatically too...

My dad might have been willing to be successful materially, rather than making $5.50/hour plus piecework in 1984 and not being able to afford a new car between 1964 and 1995 (due to an inheritance). Or, his folks who helped us out of hard times might have cut him off...

I might have gone to college. The rate from my HS was low, but I was in the group that went... so that could have happened. Or I could have ended up working in agriculture like both my grandfathers and both my parents.

I really like who I am and accept that I am a whole, indivisible and irreducible, so the bottom line is this:

What are your dreams? Go achieve them! You ain't dead yet!

• Dawn
    Dawn

I don't know if my family life would have been any better - our problems stemmed from an alcoholic father and that situation was just compounded by the JW situation. But - at least we could have celebrated the holidays with our other non-jw relatives - I would have had more family.

And I would have definately been more involved in high school sports, drama, etc - and would have went to college right out of high school.

But then - I wouldn't have had the desire to check into this site and meet all you nice people!

• Enishi
    Enishi

I would have tried to have made more friends in high school, and would have planned better when it came to college.

I would have spent much more time writing, as well as more time studying.

I would have taken up martial arts and yoga, without having to fear that I was breaking a bunch of illogical rules.

Also, I would have had a more flexible schedule due to not having to worry about making five useless meetings a week.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Well I would have had the experience of dating in high school, going to the prom, pep fests, etc etc..

I would have gone to the senior party EVERYONE went to after graduation...

I sure wouldn't have married the a## er I mean jerk I married..

I would have gone to college and probably have been either a lawyer or a lobbyist.

~~Sassy~~

• morty
    morty

Like sns, I know I would have dated in high school....the prom would have been a highlite...

Would have had great teenager birthdays.....16 is the one I dreamed about

would have been able to talk openly about sex with mom and dad....

would have been able to have sleep over as kids..and stay up all night watching scary movies.....( and sleep in on sunday morning)

would have played all kinds of sports......I love hockey..........

would have been on the debating team in high school.............

would have gone to parties has a teenager and call for a ride home if I had to much to drink or felt I was any kind of trouble......

would have,could have, should have is all but a big dream to me........sad,but oh so true.....

morty

• freedom96
    freedom96

I would have been more active in sports, and would have likely been on the football team. I would have gone to the dances, and had more friends. Dating would have been a fun option, and I would have slept in many weekend mornings instead of having to go to the meeting or out in service.

Holidays would have been fun too.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I would have accepted the full scholarships I was offered. But that's OK, I'm putting myself through grad school now, only $15000 to go.

I would have had children. But that's OK, I have my three spoiled Abyssinian cats and one spoiled Tortie.

I wouldn't be posting on exJW boards, but that's OK, I've met some wonderful people because of it.

• waiting
    waiting

Skimmed this thread because this quote stopped me:

Of all the questions that plague the souls of men,

The saddest is what might have been... czar

True words. As PurpleV posted above me.........life goes on & we can have some control over our lives. We can define ourselves within limits.

"It's okay."

And Blondie did quite well........congratulations cutie!

• waiting
    waiting

lol - actually read a couple.

As some people think who are abused.........if that hadn't happened, life would have been so much better in all ways. Naaaaaaaaaa, they just wouldn't have been abused & the ramifications of those actions.

But as for the childhood life itself? Well, you could have still had crappy parents, school, stupidity, lost chances, no looks, non-friends, etc......just not adding abuse to it.

I was raised with Catholic mother & atheist father. Sunday morning meant I was in church or I KNEW I'd burn in hell if I died before I could get to confession on Monday morning. I became a jw to escape THEM.

Our family celebrated holidays - and they weren't all great. Never had a birthday party. Dated cute guys & proms were nice. Btw, had full art scholarship & another offer to attend Hofstra free..........but my father made damned sure I knew that I could not do "those things." Interesting enough, I didn't.

Too bad the jw's gave me a "spiritual family," eh? If they hadn't, I most likely would have enlisted for nursing & ended up in VietNam.......crazy and/or dead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit