For those brought up in the borg, How would of your life been different ?

by run dont walk 19 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

We have all FANTASIZED about never having been JW's, How would your life of been different (better or worse) if your family(parents) would of never joined the JW's.

Hypothetical question I know. But fun to think about it.

For me, I might of actually had a family, instead of being ignored and critized for not going to meetings.

For my family, it goes back to my Grandmother (who is now 100), who started the crap line going.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I probably would have competed in high school sports if I weren't a dub and gotten some cool Christmas gifts. But since then life has been very good. I'm in college and I'm looking forward to a bright future. I have lost no family members unlike most people on this forum.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I would not have learned tolerance - the hard way, the way that sticks.

I'd probably still be a Republican, but a dittohead Fundy type, not a libertarian.

I'd have married some chick from high school, but would not have known the meaning of true love.

It worked out.

Of all the questions that plague the souls of men,

The saddest is what might have been...

CZAR

• franklin J
    franklin J

My wife grew up in a liberal Catholic family and had one of those "idyllic" childhoods. While her family considered themselves religious people; they were balanced. Unlike my childhood which was religion, religion, and yet more religion, My world as a child was extremely limited to the "friends". I had in the Truth. My parents cared a great deal for their children but the religion took its toll.

Patty (my wife) still has very close friends from her grade school years; a very tight circle of friends Her family traveled quite oftern and she has friends all over.. In fact, she is like the pied piper with friends. All of my childhood friends disowned me because I left the JWs. If they see me walking down the street with my kids they cross the street to avoid me now..

Now that I see my kids growing up much like their mother, I think I could have had a happier childhood.

Frank

• DJ
    DJ

Hmmm. one can only speculate.... I would think that I would have known love, instead of criticism and fear. I would perhaps have been able to make friends and trust them. I would maybe have been given the opportunity to read the bible without being told that it meant something other than it said... which could have steered my life in a totally different way. Gosh......the possibilities are endless....!!

• blondie
    blondie

If I had not been able to get away from my non-JW dad by going to the meetings, II would have killed my parents and would be sending this to you from prison.

Blondie

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Hmm... a happier childhood, without a doubt. I could have at least had friends (even if they were all other nerds ). Probably would have been on debate team in HS, depending on my health. Might have gone to a better college than I did. Would definitely have pursued friendships in college, instead of running away from them. Would have pursued academic opportunities, instead of running away from them, which means I would have at least one (probably two) academic publication(s) to my name by now. Would have gone to graduate school immediately after college (and thus, would be there right now).

On the downside, I would not have met Piph. So everything has its pluses. And I'm still only 22... I'll get to go to graduate school, I'll make more friends. Life still has plenty of opportunities for me.

• nilfun
    nilfun
    Hypothetical question I know. But fun to think about it.

Not for me, it isn't.

*fights, kicking and screaming to keep from getting sucked into "Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda Land" again*

• Mulan
    Mulan

I grew up in a more liberal time (50's and early 60's). I had lots of freedoms that my children were not given.

If we hadn't been dubs, I would have probably gone to college, made bad decisions about men, and had several kids before I was 25. Well, I had several kids by age 25 but the man was the right one.

My brother's wife would have lived, instead of dying for lack of a blood transfusion. He would have stayed mentally healthy. My nieces would have a mother.

We would have celebrated holidays for sure. I had a large extended family, and one branch of the family would have always stayed close instead of being distanced because the rest of us were JW's.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I grew up as a third generation JW. My grandma started all the JW stuff. She was a loving woman though and treated us grandkids really well. My dad and mama were really good people and the family was close. I don't think it could have been much better. We had freedom to do whatever we wanted, well almost. I had a worldly friend who was like a brother to me and we still are good friends. I just remember the good stuff though. I didn't like the street work and all the time I spent going door to door, but even that was fun at times.

I have no idea what I would have been like if we weren't JWs.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit