Has Politics Hurt Your Friendships?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

In a word, no.

Practically, every one I have involvement with is of a similar mind to me

ie. has little confidence in any of them, and does not allow themselves to get bent all out of shape over the matter of politics.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Min - Have you been adversely affected by political stands and beliefs? Just curious if this has affected you.

Not at all. As with all my friends, they can hold whatever view they wish politically. I'm not worried if people support Donald Trump in America or Theresa May here, or not. He got in as President and she is PM.

I won't turn people away depending on their party preference unless they are violent thugs.

I have friends that have different views to me on Brexit. So what? We should be allowed to hold opinions, disagree and still be friends.

It seems the social media has made some people aggressive if you don't agree with their views or if things don't go the way they personally want them to. Some have become little cry babies.

I hold some right wing views as well as left wing views. I think for myself without blindly following a particular party like I followed the JWs.

Think for yourself!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Punkofnice,

• em1913
    em1913

One of my closest friends was raised a Bircher. I'm at the rather far left end of the spectrum. We get along just fine. She's the way she is because of how she was raised, I'm the way I am because of the way I am. She isn't going to change me, and I'm not going to change her. So we don't talk about politics -- we have more than enough we agree on in other aspects of life that we get along just fine by leaving that off the table.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

em - I had to google 'Bircher'. Never heard of it here in Britland. The most results I got was for Muesli. But I don't think your friend is an extreme Muesli eater. I found some American anti-communist thing in the end. Personally, I prefer Muesli.

Kudos for your friendship despite differing views. It's how it should be.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Only via social media. There's an exJW who i made friends with who's turned out to be a huge Trump supporter and has started re-posting/sharing ridiculous claims and global warming "myths" videos.

Other than that he's a nice guy so i've just unfollowed him.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Yes sadly.

This happens when one side cant not accept provable facts, and has the same reaction they would have when told that their Religion is Wrong.

Faith-based loyalty is toxic.

And a Government that uses Policy Based "Facts" is harmful to the world.

• TD
    TD

Not being able to express hate without being challenged is somehow "oppression" for some folks

That's just it though. I've known this guy for 20+ years and he's neither hateful nor mean.

In some respects, he's like a man who doesn't understand what women find offensive about sexual harassment. (e.g. "I'd love it if they grabbed my butt. Why should they care if I grab theirs? Why can't they take it as a compliment?")

In a similar vein, he's suddenly forgotten what some people find offensive about ethnic slurs. He's too young to be senile, so I'm left scratching my head.

• waton
    waton
    I feel that the left / Right dichotomy is becoming a very divisive issue.rB

I strongly believe in maintaining identifiable nations, where they exist, locked in a friendly competition to do the best job for [wo]mankind, ---- not extreme multi culti.

That has let to a shunning- like situation within a close father/daughter relationship. Bible writer are crediting the Jesus character to predict that.

• minimus
    minimus

John Birch Society

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit