Did you ever believe that NDE's were DEMONIC?

by DebraDoll 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

After re-reading my original post, I realize my true intent and its meaning was clouded by my harsh approach. My deepest apologies to all! I would like to try again to reach out to any of you who may have been profoundly moved by such an experience. (Thank you Phantom-Sincerely!) As a full time student (at 46!) I have chosen as one of the few electives I have left to complete prior to graduation, a Contemporary Spirituality course. Recently we have been discussing Near Death Experiences and Out of Body Experiences. The theories on why either phenomena occur are overwhelming, each claiming "proof" of empirical data. However, as an exjw, I am most intrigued by the vast variety of religious and non-religious mind sets which become suseptible to identical visions. Example; why do some Jews claim to have seen "Christ" along with the atheist for that matter? It seemed only natural that I began investigating whether or not active jw's could have such an experience-thus my post. If any of you did, while active jw's, did you tell anyone about your experience, did it frighten you, or did it free you? Also, does the experience still hold spiritual value to you now?

• Valis
    Valis

Hell it was simpler than that! The bad dream that wakes you up and scares the crap out of you...the tingly feeling when you walk into a church or look at something that could be considered evil....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Three Monkeys" class

• Enishi
    Enishi

A couple months ago, I would have either thought that NDE's were demonic, or that the people having them were just imagining it. I think on a certain level though, I was frightened, I always felt that way whenever I read anything on spirituality that didnt jive with the WTS's narrow-minded theology. It wasn't that I was afraid of demons, I actually would have loved to meet a demon, even if it brutalized me, just to personally experience that there's something beyond the physical. No, I was frightened that my beliefs might just be wrong! I became worried as well whenever a friend of mine told me about his experiences with OBE's.

Now though, I can't get enough when it comes to reading about this sort of thing.

• heathen
    heathen

What I find interesting is that when I listen to these stories of near death the narrator never says that whatever entity they claim to communicate with actually identifies themselves as jesus or God but that it always seems to appear in ways that could easily be nothing more than hallucination kinda like a man in a desert might see a mirage . I do find it difficult to believe this phenomena . I don't think it's satanic tho because alot of times these people are clinically dead but for some reason the brain doesn't die and brings them back to life . I mean you're not really dead until the brain dies it seems the brain only blows a fuse or something and then repairs it . Most interesting .

The out of body thing is probly simply an over active imagination .

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Yeah, the JWs are narrow minded and anal when it comes to a lot of issues. I don't think OBEs or NDEs would necessarily be demonic. And why would you hesitate to tell a JW? Oh that's right, because they don't listen. I notice when you trigger certain "key words" like "internet," or something, then they go on a big tirade about how it's morally degrading and blah blah blah.

Sorry I got off topic, but I would say the same principle applies to OBEs and NDEs. It's up to the individual to figure them out.

• Panda
    Panda

Well I'm not so sure about OBE or NDE, but I do know that with MPD I really don't want any other "not quite here" experiences.

I don't think I ever considered them (NDE) evil. I do know that the psychological community are heavily weighted toward the brain playing last minute tricks. Otherwise why does every experience seem so relative to that individual?

Sounds like a great topic for a paper. And congrats on your last semester. I graduated at 41. It took me 5 yrs. Keepup the good work.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I used to think that people just thought up stupid stuff. Yes, I thought it was "of the Demons".

I ask forgiveness for ever being such a narrow minded Dub drone.

I have not had a NDE, but I have experienced short OBEs and lucid dreaming. My best friend-also ex Dub-has them frequently.

There is a forum much like this one that goes into great detail in this area.

www.astralpulse.com goto the forums and browse.

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

HEATHEN, You have summarized my own suspicions percisely! I am rather a cynic on most matters like this only due to my own personal lack of experiecne-similar longings as ENISHI expressed, which to date have gone unrevealed for me as well! As an outsider my opinion is just that, mine! Ask one who claims psychic abilities now (See the Danion Brinkley story or website-MOST DISTRESSING to a (my) questioning view!) and as adamantly as I say "hogwash!" will go to their grave (or maybe not! LOL! Brinkley "came back" 3 times! some feline in his blood maybe!?) holding firm that their belief in the experience was literal/reality. PANDA-What was your major at 41?! Aren't we AWESOME! I am doing this with 4 (BIG/13-25 y/o's) kids at home, endless detours (2 kids had 3 ER incidents within 30 days-serious upper resp. infection, concussion, head-on collision etc-ick, my partner is suffering a tremendous crisis/depression/breakdown and is self-destructive/suicidal right now) but I keep pluggin' along! I started college for the first time in 1999, right after the death of my 18 y/o son Paul-due to a motorcycle accident-as a promise and obligation to him that I go. In 2 yrs I graduated on the Dean's list "with distinction", won a scholarship towards the NYS Paralegal Certificate achieved at the end of the following semester at a private college in 2001. After all was done my advisor cursed my life by revealing the "few" credits needed to achieve a Bachelor's Degree which will come in May! LOL! What a big accomplishment we all achieve, and CAN achieve, as exjw's, especially those of us raised in the 60's believing that armageddon was imminent and prevented from academic education by our parents. My father signed me out of high school ONE MONTH BEFORE THE END OF MY JUNIOR YEAR so that I could full time pioneer! HORRORS! Lots of waitress/bartending jobs here in my resume-none of which I want for my own kids (2 oldest so far have great careers in areas the love; big EXHALE here!). My big desire now at this point in my life is to avail myself to those thinking they "can't" do this ("I can't go because I have no child care, have conflicting work schedules", and most alarming etc."HE doesn't want me to go to college!" gag) for one reason or another. If we look at our road blocks as just one stone (did I say boulder?) at a time, instead of a whole wall, we can chip away more effectively each reason we believe we must fail-do you agree?

• franklin J
    franklin J

I do not know much about this, but have spoken to people who have experienced it. It sounds fascinating...

and your thesis study sounds like a very good premise.

I am interested to hear more.

Frank

• heathen
    heathen

Yes that was just my opinion on NDE and OBE . I do think that the "psychic" phenomena is one that involves forms of black magic tho .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit