Dog training -- need some ideas!

by cruzanheart 11 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Now, I know bassets are stubborn. I also know they have selective hearing and can give the impression of being downright stupid at times. Ladybug, however, is really becoming a problem! She is one year and three months old. We crate-trained her as we did Dexter and she learned reasonably well that potty and poop belong outside (though she did one day potty right in front of the guest room toilet, I guess in the mistaken idea that that's where one does it). At the time we got her and, indeed, until last month, Big Tex was working nights and was home during the day, so the dogs were let out whenever they wanted.

She holds it all night (except for last night -- don't ask me why). She holds it all day in the crate, where she stays while we're at work. What I want to know is, how do we get it through her basset brain that she needs to hold it all day even when she's not in the crate? We tried putting her in the guest room bathroom one day -- you should have seen the mess that resulted!

I'm really frustrated because I hate keeping her in her crate all day while Dexter has the run of the house. We were able to housebreak him, but, of course, that was 12 years ago -- we were young, had no kids, and really concentrated on him. I think it took 6 hard months to get him trained, and I don't want to give up on Ladybug, but I'm despairing.

ANY IDEAS???? Doggie doors are out, since we live sort of in the country -- I'd worry about what would come IN.

Thanks!

Nina

• franklin J
    franklin J

Nina,

We had that problem with our beautiful black lab, Lady. Turned out she had a recurring bladder infection. Some trips to the vet and some antibiotics did the trick ( never thought to try cranberry juice!)

Frank

• Panda
    Panda

Cruzan, First, get some OUT at HEB, it has a cute dog and cat on the bottle holding their noses. You've got to get the smell out before you can train your Bassie. Next take her for walks and praise the dickens out of her when she goes potty. When she goes potty indorrs show her and tell her how very bad she is (I know it's tuff but it'll help her to be a better family member) If this fails you maight consider an outdoor pen like the moveable ones at Alamo Lumber, Home Depot ... they are large chain link panels w/ a gate and not too expensive. Once she is used to going outside in her pen it makes it easier to have her inside. Panda of the animal lovers kind

• Panda
    Panda

Cruzanheart, Almost forgot ... if you'd like a Christmas card please check out my Christmas card topic Panda

• laylaluv
    laylaluv

Cruzanheart,

Panda had some great ideas. Also, When I was training my boxer's (the one's to your left on my post) I kept treats in my pocket when I took them outside. When they went I praised them and gave them a treat. If they had an accident in the house I scolded them.

-Laylaluv

• Badger
    Badger

nina; dog training....

I always liked "old Yeller"....it had a happy ending...

Badger, of the Cat People Class

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I always liked "old Yeller

Badger, I think your answer was the best on this whole thread.

If it were left up to me, I would introduce Ladybug to Hannibal Lecter and watch him serve her on toast.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Yikes! This thread has taken an ugly turn. (run Ladybug, run!)

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

cruzan

Give her a routine and stick to it. They develop inner clocks. Also the crate most dogs don't mind. The reason they don't go in the crate is because they will not pee and poop where they sleep, if the space is not large. I have a client with the same problem with one of her dogs. He was going all over the house. I told her to crate him . It's working. Routine and crating and patience. Good luck.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Does Ladybug have water available all day long? If so she might not be capable of holding it all day. Also, you might try baby gates to give her an area a little larger than the crate. As she learns to be a "good girl" in the small penned-up area, you can move the gates to give a larger and larger area over time.

Just a couple of little ideas.

Odrade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit