TTFN

by Zoewrex 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

As of Nov. 13 th I won?t be able to check out this board as often as I would like. After 9 years, the 14 th is my final day working for the military (Active Duty Army, then civil service job). My husband resigned from the Marines and is currently working in management and so we?ll be moving to a new location Nov. 19 th

With much soul searching I decided to resign this really great career field (with promotion potential) be a stay at home. I realized I don?t want to be a Supermom. My mother was a single parent and I know SO many people who can do it all ? but I really don?t want to add more to my plate and get back to the basics of life.

World according to Tracy (*while climbing up my soapbox) - huge problem with the culture today is everyone feels that in order to have ?this ? or ?that? there must be two incomes (of course because everything costs so much) ? materialism and selfness have replaced values and ethics. I did the same thing and of course it was fun, but what is that showing her? Well, we?re willing to change our lifestyle in order for me to stay with Rachael. Will she be worse for it because we don?t have that much money for her College? I don?t know, but I do know if I want to make a difference, I have to start at home. We?re wanted a child for so long and know as parents our responsibility is to teach her and make sure she?s a contributing member of society. Dropping her off at daycare (for 8+ hours a day) is no longer acceptable. I went to daycare and use it now only because we had to, my sister drops her kids off and picks them up as late as she can because she doesn?t want to ?deal? with them. This sickens me and daycare is allowing children to grow up with typically guilt ridden and now exhausted parents. Odd to say, the majority of my friends are (or will be shortly) also stay at homes. (*climbing down off my soap box) I?m nervous and have to remind myself of my convictions about this new route.

As of today we don?t know where our new location will be and of course this is causing a bit of anxiety at home. Wish us luck, groovy vibes, purple candles and warm fuzzies.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

• Scully
    Scully

Kids are only little for a little while. Enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of the formative years.

The working world will always, ALWAYS be there. You can go back to it if you need to, or even want to, at a later date. If you can survive without hopping back on the treadmill that is the "rat race", you deserve all the credit in the world.

There's no rules that say you "have" to do it this way or that way. The only thing you need to remember is that you (plural, as regards your family) have to do what works for you (again, plural). When it stops working, you can change it.

Love, Scully

• Simon
    Simon

Good luck !

It's hard juggling work and family. I think kids appreciate having mom around and it does them good.

• Emma
    Emma

I was a stay at home mom and have never regretted it. Yes, there were a lot of sacrifices as the sole income from the kids dad was low, also. There are plenty of things I wish I'd done different; staying with my little ones isn't one.

Find some other families with your values. You'll network with other stay at home moms. I'll be thinking of you.

Emma

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I stayed at home with our kids and I have never regretted it. It was a special time and can never be recaptured. Be flexible and do what works for you and your family. Enjoy.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

For the most part I stayed at home with my kids too. You will NEVER regret it if you do. I think it makes them more independent.

• DJ
    DJ

Lots of purple grooves to you Zoe. I stay home with my kids and I don't regret it for a second. They grow so fast. Just remember to get out occasionally. It can be brutal being home at times but I do think it really matters. I wish you all the best and lots of love.

• lovinlife
    lovinlife

Good luck with everything! I always wished that I could have been a stay at home mom! I am happy for you!

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Thank you all for such great support & I'll take your advice Emma and find other families with similar values. I never really thought of my career as 'work' it was just SO much fun to do I couldn't believe I was getting paid for it. It was hard for me to grasp - jobs will always be there.

I remember the ackward lulls that would happen between women meeting for the first time, one working and one at home..........typical formal event gathering for me......

Me - "So how do you like staying at home?" (Thinking what kind of question is THAT? AND I want to stay at home....)

Her - "I love it!" (Usually thinking what kind of question is that, her kid is in daycare. She gets paid as much as my husband and can talk to him about his work)

Me - "I'm really thinking about it, but we're not able to just yet." (God this sucks, I really need to talk to her hubby about a Color Guard & media interview gone bad. I can't believe I'm jealous of her...)

Her - "Well, we never regretted it." (Stupid Urbanites)

Me - "I'll keep that in mind. Now John, what exactly did you expect when you sent in three inexperienced Soldiers to perform a Color guard? Blah ..Blah.. work talk..." (I have nothing in common with someone who sits at home all day - I can't believe I'm still jealous)

Why do I feel the need to validate myself through a job?!

Random thoughts.........need to increase my meds

• nilfun
    nilfun

Sounds like you are having mixed emotions about staying at home, though I am sure you didn't come to this decision lightly. I think the transition from paid-job-outside-the-home to full-time-stay-at-home-Mom will probably take some time to get adjusted to. It's another exciting new leg on your journey, hey?

Enjoy the trip & may you have good luck in your travels, ((Zoewrex))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit