WT Ruining Members' Futures

by HiddlesWife 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

There are so many stories like this. Here is another point that goes along with it - Not one JW will open there home for their dear sister and take her in like a true Christian. Let's be honest; that's how Christianity is supposed to work.

If the end has not come before a person is too old to financially support themselves the congregation is supposed to care for that person's needs. What we all know as former JWs is not one Witness family will do this. Not one!

On no less than 3 separate occasions in my life I found myself homeless and unable to financially provide shelter for myself. All 3 times non-Witness co-workers took me into their homes. They provided me a rent free room and treated me like a guest.

• Bartolomeo
    Bartolomeo

I am very sorry for her but she was unwise and did not take this well-known advice seriously:

"Father used to say that we should plan ahead as if Armageddon would not come in our lifetime but lead our life as if it would come tomorrow​—precious advice that I have always tried to apply."

w04 12/1 p. 28-29

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their comments on this subject.

Secondly, my distant cousin is getting a lot of help with her finances. It's unfortunate that she has to now work FULLTIME until she is 70+ in order to have some sort of savings that resembles a retirement plan. 😭

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

I want to also add that although she at one time LOVED the fame and popularity--because she wanted to be LIKED and LOOKED UP TO in this organization, she has come to really realize that the same dubs (SPIMIs, particularly) who and when they found out that she was going through a great deal of financial upheaval, these people left her alone and kicked to the curb. Some of them (especially the ones who were financially stable--more or a little bit less) showed that they didn't want to associate with her any longer. Remarks such as: "I hope that Sis F (her first name starts with that letter) gets her act together"; "Sis F should work more days--so that she won't be a burden on the congregation in that she won't be asking for help"; " "We hope Sis F will not be asking any of us for monies to pay her bills! So, now she can't be asked to recreate (movies, plays, and/or vacations) with any of us anytime soon!"; and the friggin' like. A good number of dubs who have these attitudes are NOT TRUE BLUE FRIENDS! They are only thinking about themselves. However, it's a good thing that Cuz's family (former dubs and NIs) are the ones who are definitely in her corner plus have her back! 👏🏽

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is Mark Jones' experience.

"I was born and raised into a cult known as the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

You may be surprised to hear it called “a cult” (or maybe you wont) but this is, at the very least, a high control religion that dictates what you wear, who you can marry, what kind of sex you can have, when you can have sex, if you’re allowed to have a beard, what websites you’re allowed to visit, what books you’re allowed to read, what hobbies you’re allowed to have and even the people you’re allowed to talk to.

I was born in 1984 and, at the time, my family and other Jehovah’s Witnesses were certain that armageddon would come before 2000. From the age of about 6 days old my parents would take me out in my pram while they knocked on doors peddling Watchtower literature.

The first thing to know is, association with outsiders is not allowed. The governing body (their leaders) call this “being unevenly yoked with unbelievers” 1 The idea is that association with non members is dangerous because it could influence your thinking and make you leave the religion. [Fun Fact: Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that only the Watchtower society are allowed to influence your thinking.] Therefore, growing up, the only world I knew was the Jehovah’s Witnesses. There was no conflicting thought because everyone I knew thought the same way, believed the same thing, talked the same way, loved the same things, hated the same things and had the same opinion as each other on the same topics. Your world revolves around the cult. Literally every thought you have revolves around the cult. So much so that we’d consult Watchtower magazines, Watchtower literature or even ask the leadership what we should think on a certain subject. Individuality was not allowed.

The cult was (and still is) obsessed with two things. Using the name Jehovah (which they believe is the true name of god) and Armageddon. They believe that Armageddon is “just around the corner” and will strike at any second and that only active Jehovah’s Witnesses in good standing even have a hope of surviving it. 2 That’s all they have to hope for… hope to have even a chance of surviving. So they’re constantly on edge, checking themselves to see if they’re good enough to survive it. One of their governing body members Tony Morris III told them in 2014 that if they don’t go out preaching door to door Jehovah will see blood on their hands in Armageddon and they’ll lose their life.

So, growing up I believed all of these things. I had no non-JW friends and spent my spare time studying Watchtower literature, giving talks, attending 5 meetings a week, 10 hours door knocking a month (minimum) and reporting people to the leadership who were doing non-JW things. Oh yes, that’s another thing, we were supposed to turn in our friends and family if they break any of the rules laid down from the leaders. Such things as being alone with a member of the opposite sex, smoking, saying “happy birthday”, clinking glasses and/or saying “cheers”, getting drunk or even if they’d been seen with non-Jehovah’s Witnesses.

When I got to the age of about 26 I started to notice some things that just weren't right. There was no freedom to question any teaching that was printed in the magazines. Sometimes I’d be reading about subjects that I’m somewhat an expert on and they’d write something that was either completely incorrect, lacked context or they’d misquote someone to make it look like they were saying something else. Also, we were warned not to research the religion on the internet because “apostates” are out there writing lies. But I reasoned, how could a lie damage my spirituality if I have the truth? Lies are easily disproved with evidence. But I was a good JW and obeyed their command. Eventually though, it was their own literature that made me doubt. I knew a few members of the religion who collected the old literature as a hobby. I started doing this too, the aim was actually so that I could know everything about my religion and become an expert “bible teacher” for the organization. The books written pre-1970s and especially the books written by first Watchtower leader Joseph Rutherford were outrageous. I learned of so many failed dates for armageddon, so many failed prophecies and a long history of flip-flopping on what they were teaching as “the truth”. 3 In fact, some of the older books are now considered to be apostasy even though they were written and published by the Watchtower society!

Breaking a rule or committing a “sin” in the cult isn’t like in a Christian religion where you’d ask Jesus for forgiveness and “continue on your way and sin no more” (John 8:11). No, in the cult you would be called to a Judicial Committee where you’re locked in a back room with three elders (always male) and cross examined for a number of hours. THEY decide if you’re sorry, and even if they decide that you are THEY decide if you’re sorry enough. If they don’t think you’re sorry (or sorry enough) you will be disfellowshipped. This is like a death. I’ll explain why in a moment.

My “sin” was that I read a real bible on it’s own without Watchtower literature for about a year and came to the conclusion that Jesus is the mediator between god and man. This is the opposite of what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe. The Watchtower society has told them that Jesus is the mediator only for their leaders and 143,992 other specially “chosen” people that have lived since Jesus day 4 So, I was hauled to a judicial committee, like Martin Luther before me I refused to recant and was disfellowshipped as “an apostate”.

“Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates.” Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock p.94, (published by Jehovah’s Witnesses)

Most religions practice excommunication. This religion goes miles further. If you are disfellowshipped from the Jehovah’s Witnesses you’re completely shunned by the entire Jehovah’s Witness population 5 They are to regard you as dead. They will literally pretend that you’re invisible. That includes your own family. Mothers shun their children, children shun their parents, brothers shun their sisters etc. You’re not allowed to attend a disfellowshipped persons funeral nor mourn them if they die.

"We never want to give the impression to outsiders that a disfellowshiped person was acceptable in the congregation when in truth and in fact he was not acceptable but had been disfellowshiped from it." A Christian congregation would not want its good name besmirched by having it associated with any to whom 2 John 9, 10 applied, even in their death." - Watchtower 1977 Jun 1 p.347

This results in tremendous pain and heartache for the disfellowshipped victim because, remember, they’ve had no non-Jehovah’s Witness friends and now they’ve lost everybody they’ve ever known. They’re completely alone in a world they don’t know or understand. Only last month I bumped into an old friend who is a Jehovah’s Witness elder. I hadn't seen him since I left the religion three years ago. I smiled and stuck out my hand and said hello - because I’m an ex-member he reacted with hatred and anger, outraged that I’d spoken to him which forced him to acknowledge me. He would now have to pray for forgiveness for speaking to an ex-member.

How to Treat a Disfellowshipped Person

The reason why the average member would react with hatred is because disfellowshipped members are always portrayed as proud and stubborn in the Watchtower literature:

And worse still, is the ex-Jehovah’s Witness who left because they actually believed the bible over the Watchtower society are portrayed as angry embittered people who are unwilling to reason!

I was told that if I ever wish to return to the cult I’d have to attend Jehovah’s Witness meetings for about 5 years while still being shunned and by living the life of a Jehovah’s Witness. This means still not having non-JW friends, while being shunned by the JWs (so they mean 100% alone until they’d decide to reinstate me). But I’ll never go back. I discovered that the real world is a wonderful place, full of good people and opportunity. Sure, bad people and bad things do exist, but that’s not what the whole world is like.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TRUTH_B_KNOWN:

I hope you are on your feet now. So, you say non-JW coworkers took you into their home, rent free? And you were ‘like a guest’. Sorry to say that this sounds like a wish TOO many Witnesses have:..living somewhere for free!

Maybe you knew when it was time to leave and didn’t overstay your welcome. Somebody else might not…This isn’t bible times…It is complicated today.

Take somebody into your home you can end up with a squatter you can’t get rid of - or worse. (Also, it should be the religion itself that has programs to help people, but it does not.).. What about people like myself who got knocked for working and faced shunning? Do you imagine THEY should open their home???? 🤣 I don’t think so..Their ‘spiritual’ friends better help them. I might take a relative in for a while.

HIDDLESWIFE:

Yes, it sounds about right that she’d be working full time til 70+. It would have been FAR better if she did it at a young age instead of wasting her time daydreaming - and in pursuits that got her nowhere! ..What a mistake to be looking for approval from strangers.. This is a grey area that is not touched on: JWs will not be supporting anybody.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Vanderhoven7 I didn't know you are so young (compared to my age). I was baptized a few years before you were born. Is the photo you use on this site not really of you? I thought it was of you since you are officially an ex-JW and sometimes use your real name on this site and thus don't have to hide your identity on this site.

It is too bad what you experienced as a JW, but I disagree with some of what you said about the religion in your most recent post in this topic. For example, consider the following which was the case about the religion at least until I ceased attendance of regular JW meetings in about the year 2000.

The religion does not prohibit JWs from dating and marrying non-JW, despite the religion strongly urging JWs to avoid marrying non-JWs.

The religion does not forbid JW men to wear a beard, though it was frowned upon and though those with a beard typically did not get appointed within the congregation. Shortly before I stopped being a ministerial servant I started wearing a beard and no one in the congregation said anything to me about it. I later ceased being a ministerial servant but not for wearing a beard.

The religion does not produce a specific list of websites and literature to avoid. The religion states guidelines on which types to avoid and urges avoidance of certain kinds, but it never names specific web sites and specific books to avoid viewing. It leaves it up to the individual JWs to decide which specific sources to avoid. It does say to avoid apostate sites and literature, but even if an elder found out that a JW did read such the JW probably would not be expelled simply for doing such. In the late 1990s (including when I was a ministerial servant) I read on the internet some science articles about the discovery of new planets and of new discoveries of fossils (including about fossils which were claimed to support evolution). I also read articles about archaeological discoveries pertaining to claims of the Bible.

Regarding use of spare time and of hobbies, from early pre-teen years to the present I have had hobbies in science and inventing/inventions. I read books and articles about such. When I was under age 35 (including while a teen) I tried to invent things and I did science experiments at home. I didn't spend all of my free time in WT/JW activities, though I did spend much of my free time in such.

While in the workplace I socialized with some of my coworkers and while in the classrooms at school I socialized with some of my classmates. The religion does not forbid doing such. Like you however, while I was an active JW I avoided making JW friends outside of the classroom and the workplace, but the religion does not expel people from having non-JW friends.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore
    I 'm glad I got out got education and businesses where the average Jw would frown on. But I Don't have the problems they have. In one of my businesses, I have an elder and two MS'S. The two MS'S work better then the elder. In fact this coming year, I'm promoting both MS'S to Underwriters and give sales and advertising to the elder since he likes to push his work onto the MS'S to go home early.
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Somehow, despite spending our absolute all, we never felt like we had the respect of the congregations we were part of. Certainly never felt like celebrities. Bethelites were generally unwanted in their congregations, as missionaries we were perceived as outsiders and meddlers, pioneering just meant we didn't want to hold a real job. It was in some measure the suspicions of us that began the process of disenchantment.

We had absolute nothing when returning to America. Lived with her parents for a while, then with mine. Got a $50 junk car and changed the transmission in the driveway. When we finally both left the church we took advantage of Pell grants and nontraditional student aid and never looked back. We invested every penny and lived below our means. We can now 20 years later talk about retirement without panic. Funny thing is we knew of very few others who actually "sought first the Kingdom". Most of the even most JWish seemed to have a long term plan of retirement or career. It was evident we were outliers. Not sure if that represented a change in the church or if we were just unusually credulous.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PEACEFULPETE:

Interesting story and I’m glad you worked and got to the point you can ‘talk about retirement without panic’….Regarding what you say about some JWs who had a ‘long term plan of retirement or career’, I observed this as well.

All the older people in the congregation were either collecting their pensions or were soon about to.. They were obviously in the workforce. Why, then, would I not have been as well?? Why was I criticized for having a full time job? Maybe it was because I wasn’t a man and in the cockeyed religion they didn’t give a sh#t about women and imagined they were there to do favors (which was why I made sure I didn’t do any).

People forget one thing: even though we are approaching 2023, a single woman still has to either: (1) get married and have a man support her; OR (2) she has to get a career and support herself; and (3) she has a small window of time in which to do this. In other words, while she’s young. Otherwise, she’s Out of Luck.

The woman referred to in the Original Post is a classic example of somebody who wakes up too late.. It’s a shame that nobody in the religion was honest enough to take her aside years earlier and explain these things to her.. I know I warned several younger people back in the day.

Nobody took me aside either. I have my non-JW upbringing to credit plus some wise ‘worldly’ associates with sensible advice!.. I’m just so grateful I never listened to the religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit