Who told the first lie?

by nicolaou 299 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    FragrantAddendum: he is not a "child killer"

Oh please. Every child on earth drowned in a flood. Innocent Egyptian children killed in their beds. An innocent baby killed to punish it's adulterous parents.

I could cite more examples all from the bible but what good would it do if you won't debate honestly?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Should we really be surprised that a being capable of such murderous atrocities is capable of lying to his children too?

• Halcon
    Halcon
    Pete- Who gets the final say? The GB? the Pope? an ancient writer we never met? God hasn't said anything.

The final say. Ultimate authority. In the end, God decides. As he has a right to, as our Creator.

Tonus -When I was a believer, I thought of god as the single most impressive and amazing individual I could possibly ever have the privilege of knowing. The idea that I might find him to be unimpressive or disappointing was simply unfathomable.

Perhaps your comprehension of who God is was not fully clear. I can imagine the surprise of realizing that God wasn't a big soft teddy bear after all.

many beings have decided it is better to die and/or suffer than to live under his rule. What could they know about him that would lead them to behave in such a manner?

I suppose it has to do with what I mentioned earlier. That he has the final say, and that there is no compromising. Many simply cannot accept this and would choose to not exist than to exist within his rules.

• FragrantAddendum
    FragrantAddendum
    jeffro: "Good. If you think God is your friend, you could probably do with some real ones."

lol, seems to me if you think god is an enemy

you're the one that could do with a friend

who is his friend

nicolauo: "Should we really be surprised that a being capable of such murderous atrocities is capable of lying to his children too?"

you're blaming the wrong dude

but the fact that you hate evil so intensely

is a beautiful thing

and shows why he loves you

even though you've got him mixed up with someone else

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

FragrantAddendum:

seems to me if you think god is an enemy

Only in the sense that Darth Vader or Voldemort are ‘enemies’.

I hope your ‘friend’ isn’t too angry about you not capitalising his title though. I’ve heard he does nasty things when he’s angry. I’m sure he’ll get back to you in some completely verifiable way.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo
    Jeffro
    joey jojo:
    In that case, the snake couldn’t validly be accused of deception if it didn’t know right from wrong.
    I don’t remember that being in the Bible story.
    This entire thread is a discussion from a biblical point of view- I thought that was implied?
    A male lion doesnt feel bad about killing his own offspring. Many animals are cannibalisitic. Dogs hump our legs. Is that the normal state of the human condition that god intended?

Jeffro, in an online conversation, nuance is sometimes lost. I think our side-bar has come way off the rails.

For the record, I believe the entire story is a fabrication. Its a human-centric origin story that attempts to explain the current human condition and our place in the universe. It has the same characters as other origin stories: A Creator, a Destroyer and a Preserver.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

joey jojo:

Jeffro, in an online conversation, nuance is sometimes lost. I think our side-bar has come way off the rails.

You were inconsistent about the scope of discussion. It’s not a big deal.

It’s a human-centric origin story that attempts to explain the current human condition and our place in the universe. It has the same characters as other origin stories: A Creator, a Destroyer and a Preserver.

Yep.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo
    Jeffro
    joey jojo:
    You were inconsistent about the scope of discussion. It’s not a big deal.

How so?

• Halcon
    Halcon

Lol , 17 pages....nicolaou must be regretting starting this thread

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

joey jojo:

How so?

Sigh. I thought the sidebar was unnecessary. Anyway… you referenced animal behaviour that is not present in the story and then when there was a factual objection to the misleading generalisations about animal behaviour, you said it was outside the scope of the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit