JWs in The Workplace: What Type Were/Are You?

by Room 215 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

It seems to me that JWs in the workplace fall into three basic categories: (1) The matter-of-fact type who goes about his/her business, not hiding his/her religious afflililation and seldom if ever initiates conversations on religious topics, but who nonethless hews to the WTBS party line on involvement in non-business social events, i.e. office holiday parties, etc. handling any inquiries succinctly; (2) the aggressive type that seeks opportunity to ``give a witness" to workmates, who brings in and displays prominently WT literature and reads or studies his/her WT at lunchtime and at coffee breaks; or (3) the ``double lifer" easy-going type who's one of the boys/gals and who onlyreveals his/her religious affliliation reluctantly or under duress, yet away from work is a regular meeting attender and active in ``field service."

Which were/are you?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I was a #1. I didn't make friends easily, but I would eventually get friendly with one or two close workmates and schoolmates, and I would mention sometime in conversation that I was a JW. I wouldn't bring up religious topics unless they just came naturally in conversation, however.

• blondie
    blondie

I used to be #1 for many years. Then I realized that it was not appropriate to advertise one's religious affiliation at work so I became re a #3. If people asked, I would talk to them on break time or lunch. I actually studied with a woman at work who eventually was baptized.

After all, people don't walk up to you and say "Hi, I'm Bob Coworker, and I'm a Baptist (atheist, Jew, etc.). I never left my study books out in the open on my desk (any more than I would like someone to leave a cross on the wall of their cubicle). I managed to avoid birthdays and holidays without making a big deal of it. Surprisingly enough, many people don't participate in those things and make it optional and don't pressure coworkers (at least in government settings).

As a fading JW, I actually work with 2 active JWs (different congos though). They have no clue that I'm not still a faithful meeting attender. I actually brought a treat on my BD. Christmas treats are coming and I just eat the leftovers the day after the party (sort of like the meat sacrificed to idols sold in the market).

Some of the worst advertisments for JWs have been JWs at work.

Blondie (don't ask, don't tell)

• exjwgirl25
    exjwgirl25

No doubt about it, I was #3. I always hated feeling so different from anyone else. Life was just so much easier when you try to fit in.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I was #1, and I haven't changed that much, except now I'm giving an UN-witness to whoever asks!

Nina

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

A combination of #2 and #3...

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

After some bad experiences, I found I was more comfortable as #3.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I was a #3.

Work was my escape from JWism, I didn't bring it up unless I couldn't get around it.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Gawd, I was a number 2.

In more ways than one, I was a real #2-head...

Humiliation at the hands of the JC quickly removed any claim to moral superiority I felt... Ah, the wondrous ways the Lord doth work...

CZAR

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I was a "Double Lifer". I worked in a Fred Meyer store(Kroger for you back east folks). Most knew that I was a JW. They also knew from my behavior that I was totally irreverent and lots of fun. My coworkers became the extended family that I felt that the JWs should have been. I have not worked there for over three years and I am still in regular contact with my former boss and about 10 coworkers. They unknowingly helped me fade out, at the time I did not know that there was such a term, but I thought of it as phasing out.
    They tell me that they miss my nasty stories and humor. I take pride in the fact that they are all "innoculated" against JWs. They saw me through the cruscible, and are a part of my healing. As for non JWs, my former boss has IMO a good understanding of what the WTBS is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit