This probably sounds uppity. I'm saying it anyhow

by stillin 40 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

Has anybody else noticed a pattern that is here among us outcasts? There seems to be, on average, a higher level of intelligence here than there is at the Kingdom Hall. Actually, intelligent conversation seems to be looked down upon among the Witnesses.

Also, the simple language skills found here seem to be above average compared to those among the Witnesses. Some of the grammar here could use some polishing-up, but there is actually some substance to a lot of the thoughts presented. The presence of actual thought is so unusual at the Hall that even a little bit of it stands out like a diamond in a coal mine.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Isn’t it obvious that all the intelligent people discovered TTATT and left?

• cofty
    cofty

Just compare this forum with some of the semi-literate ramblings on the pro-JW forum.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m not sure that it is we have a higher level of intelligence I think it just proves that those that stay in have a lower level of intelligence a reflection of their distaste for higher education

• hybridous
    hybridous

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”

Emerson(?), Holmes(??)

Doesn't matter who said it - it's true...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm not sure about intelligence but there is at least one thing that we forum members do better that believing JWs ... asking questions and independent thinking.

Not to say we're necessarily more intelligent - a person of average or below-average intelligence can ask questions and leave the cult; intelligent people can and do get sucked into the cult.

Furthermore, have any scientific studies compared the intelligence of JWs against the intelligence of exJWs?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Most JWs are not deep critically thinking people and some of that is partially due to a lack of education.

Once someone immerses themselves in education and acquired knowledge they tend to think from out of that acquired knowledge.

This actually is the very reason why the WTS leaders have always demeaned and discouraged education .

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

I would hesitate to get ahead of myself in this line of reasoning. Generalizations can certainly be made. There may even be hard data that illustrates poor education levels among professed JWs. After all aspirations usually top out at regular pioneer or Bethel service. Good grades in school are not necessary. College is not encouraged.

Yet, there is an undeniably percentage of active JWs that are highly educated and financially secure because of it. Certain congregations are noted for the level of prosperity simply by the cars parked in the lot.

Education and thinking abilities are not all it takes to “wake up” or escape from the cult.

In my experience some of the simplest minds were able to break free first.

Before we pat ourselves on the back, I think we have to acknowledge that even extremely intelligent people can be controlled by undue influence.

If we assume this shit eating grin stance, it might be more than the effort we want to waste in rescuing “ignorant” ones from the cult.

There are watchtower apologists that could eat most everyone for breakfast in this forum or others. Ask yourself, are you up to the task to take them on? Sure they are few and far between, but don’t get lazy assuming everyone still stuck in the cult is stupid.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

There seems to be, on average, a higher level of intelligence here than there is at the Kingdom Hall.

In my case anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to say higher intelligence but I would say we do have a lower tolerance for Bull @$%# and obviously we have greater courage and a higher level of integrity when it comes to being honest about what and who we are willing to give our support to.

A very dedicated, smart and savvy older sister I knew, who became a JW after she graduated from college, was told by one of our elders after voicing some of her concerns, that if she wasn't careful she was going to "smart herself right out of the truth". She left shortly thereafter and never returned.

• steve2
    steve2

Having an active thinking brain will often destroy belief in JW organization. So, yes, those who leave over doctrine, policy or practice could be expected to be intelligent. While being intelligent is necessary, it's not sufficient because many a smart person cleaves to JW organization.

The book "Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things" sheds light on this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit