"Landrew" vs "Borg"

by Stephanus 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

In classic Star Trek there was an episode entitled "The Return of the Archons" where the crew of the Enterprise beamed down to a planet where the starship "Archon" had last been reported, some time previously. They found themselves in a stagnated Victorian era society of people going mindlessly about their business, rattling off platitudes like "Peace be with you, Friend" to passers by. The society turned out to be controlled by a supercomputer which had taken on the name (and projected image) of Landrew (or Landru), its creator some millennia previously. Landrew stifled all attempts by individuals to exercise freedom and free-thought both through exercise of technology and through good members of "the Body", who ratted on anyone who digressed from accepted norms. Those who couldn't be "reabsorbed by the body" through mind control were eliminated. The story ends with Kirk winning a logical confrontation with the computer, arguing that instead of following its purpose of protecting the society, it had harmed it by stifling all creativity and personal growth within its ranks. The computer can't face the realisation that it has failed its programmer and shorts out (it happened a few times in classic Trek...)

One memorable moment was when the brainwashed ("absorbed") McCoy said something along the lines of: "Why are you talking in lowered voices? Members of the body don't whisper and plot!" (shouting): "You are not of the body! They are not of the body!"

I think Landrew's society is a better allegory for the Watchtower than the Borg - the Borg at least are dynamic and grow, albeit by theft. Landrew's society was stagnant, locked into Victorian era morals (with the notable exception of "Festival" - cf. a JW wedding reception with an open bar) and archaic modes of dress, dominated by a being masquerading behind the image of the society's founder and "the good of the body". Individualism could break out in Landrew's society but was quickly dealt with by re-absorption or elimination.

alt

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

You know what Stephanus, I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I wanted to suggest that to this board about the followers of Landreu being more like the organization than the Borg but I figured most people here didn't watch the old Stark Trek episodes and wouldn't know what I was talking about.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I remember that episode, too. I was a JW when watching it, and when this episode clearly illustrated the danger of a so-called "perfect" society where everyone thinks alike, it definitely reminded me of the JW's view of their paradise (and even their so-called "spiritual paradise" now).

At the end, Captain Kirk watched in pleasure as members of this once-docile society started disagreeing even to the pointing of wanting to fight. At least they had freedom of thought.

• Odrade
    Odrade

OMG! I am a geek. I knew exactly what you meant before I even opened this thread.

I gotta get a life...

Odrade

• blondie
    blondie

I'm an original Trekker. I remember watching that episode and saw the flaws of the "perfect" society. The WTS mistakes uniformity for unity.

Blondie

• Piph
    Piph

LOL You know what's really scary? When I was an active JW I would jokingly talk about non-Witnesses as being "not of the body", referring to this episode.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I remember the episode well, and I have to agree. Unfortunately, I must have been invited to the wrong JW weddings. They never came close to the "festival" in the episode.

Walter

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Unfortunately, I must have been invited to the wrong JW weddings. They never came close to the "festival" in the episode.

Erm, having never been "of the body", I was only repeating what I've read on this board over the years, and surmising that that would be the nearest thing Dub society would ever have anywhere near "Festival". However, I'd guess that the extreme experiences, while standing out and making interesting reading, aren't all that common.

LOL You know what's really scary? When I was an active JW I would jokingly talk about non-Witnesses as being "not of the body", referring to this episode.

And I bet you felt REAL superior while doing it! LOL

OMG! I am a geek. I knew exactly what you meant before I even opened this thread.

I gotta get a life...

Life outside the body? Forget it!

At the end, Captain Kirk watched in pleasure as members of this once-docile society started disagreeing even to the pointing of wanting to fight. At least they had freedom of thought.
    That's right! Much to Spock's disapproval, I might add... The ex-Dub community has all sorts of example of the ways in which individuals denied freedom exercise it when they suddenly are given it. I wonder if there was a sad group of Landruites who bemoaned the fact that, even though it didn't work for them personally, it was the right and only true way?
  • rocketman
    rocketman

Trek did have a way of hitting some nails on the head with some of their episodes and their commentary on various aspects of society, including religion.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    You know what Stephanus, I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I wanted to suggest that to this board about the followers of Landreu being more like the organization than the Borg but I figured most people here didn't watch the old Stark Trek episodes and wouldn't know what I was talking about.

There's obviously a small core of posters who "still remember the old ways".

Actually, every time I see that episode I think of the Dub book studies I've attended - the blank expressions, the canned responses, the refusal to interract with one "not of the body" (me!).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit