Jesus, Mary and Da'Vinci

by Sentinel 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Did anyone catch this one hour discussion the other night on prime time TV?(channel 7, here.)

I only got to see the last half hour, and I sure hope they show it again soon. Apparently, there are in existence, some accurately reported historical documents (suppressed by church leaders) which proves that Mary held a very high position in her day, and even with Jesus. Word is that Jesus married her (Mary Magdeline--the prostitute!!!) and they had children. And, so much, much more!! Mention was even made that the bible should be re-written, and not just re-copied; it should have ALL the books and manuscripts in it that relate to that time period, Jews, Christians, Jesus, etc. And it should give Mary her rightful place, among the other associates of Jesus.This goes along with a book I read last year about the Holy Grail and the Bloodline of Jesus.

Did anyone see the entire program? What did you think about it? Maybe religion as we know it, is about ready to slip by the wayside....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

The story has been around for awhile. The Discovery Channel had an interesting program on this just a couple of weeks ago. They quoted one of the Apocrphya books (either Gospel of Thomas or the Gospel of Mary) that stated that Jesus loved Mary more than all the other disciples and that he used to kiss her on the mouth. However, nothing states that they were married.

Anyway the program theorized that Jesus was the first feminist and wanted Mary to become the "rock upon which the church is built" as opposed to Peter. The scholars in the program stated that Mary "got" what Jesus' teachings were better than the 12 disciples, and that there was a great rivalry between Peter and Mary. Gradually those following Peter (and Paul) grew stronger and silenced those following Mary's way until finally there it was forbidden to talk about. At Nicea everything was formalized, i.e. which books belonged in the Bible, what teachings were "christian" and interestingly, this was when Mary became a prostitute and had demons cast out of her.

The program theorized that she was actually from a well to do family. I don't know if it's true or not, but it does make for some interesting talk. Here's a good link about the Gospel of Mary:

http://www.thenazareneway.com/the_gospel_of_mary_magdalene.htm

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Word is that Jesus married her (Mary Magdeline--the prostitute!!!)

The first few minutes of the program they explain the age-old misrepresentation that Mary Magdeline was a prostitute... no biblical scholar believes that - the bible never says that. Big Tex stated it correctly, it wasn't until the Council at Nicea that "the church" made a supposed link between Mary Magdalene and a verse regarding a prostitute.

I saw most of the program.... very interesting. In fact, I'm going to go by the best seller "The De Vinci Code".

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi BT,

Yes, it sure is an interesting subject. I went to the site you showed and just printed out some things to read later. I will get more into it after I get home tonight.

It sounds to me like Mary was "enlightened", and perhaps she and Jesus formed a bond because of their "like" beliefs. Because so many wanted a new King, Jesus was considered a wimp by many, even some of his own followers. Women in those days were not even allowed to speak openly about "those things"; the fact that she did, made her appear to be unreliable and unworthy. The more I learn, it just seems to me that men have this fear of any woman who speaks with some kind of authority. Sounds like Mary did so, and wouldn't take any flak off of Peter or any of the others, who were jealous of her position. That's why they didn't write much about her, and her writings were not even included with the bible package. She was after all, just a mere woman.

If only we knew the true story,....I wonder how much difference it would have made in the establishment of Christianity as we know it today?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Well as I understand the story, it was the Peter/Paul faction that made Jesus divine. If I remember correctly, James (and evidently Mary) taught and believed he was a man, a prophet of God, but still a man.

In many ways this idea of Mary and Jesus being a man is more believable than that of Peter and Paul. Think about it, Christianity teaches only those accepting Christ are saved by God and yet God supposedly loves all humans. I'm becoming more open to the idea that there isn't just one "true" religion, but that all contain truths about God. If so, then Jesus was just a man, with no miracles and no divinity. Maybe he married Mary (and produced a daughter) or maybe he didn't.

There is some thought that whatever few documents remain are buried in the Vatican archives. Don't know if that's true, but it does make for interesting speculation.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Take a really close, hard look at Da Vinci's painting of "The Last Supper" -- the person on Jesus' right does look very feminine, though Da Vinci was a master at blurring the lines between the two genders.

Wish I could have seen the program, but here in Dallas it was football all evening. Not that there's anything WRONG with that . . . .

Nina

• Mulan
    Mulan

I heard a discussion on this on the Today show a couple of weeks ago. It said that there was a lot of evidence that Jesus was married and maybe had a child, and the rest of the stuff in the book was also discussed, and a lot of evidence for that too. But no proof.

It makes for a good story and possibilities. I'm open to it.

I absolutely LOVED the book...............the best read in a long time for me.

• Englishman
  • simplesally
    simplesally

I don't know how Mary got to be known as the prostitute .... think it was Pope Gregory in the 5th Century who proclaimed that. Mary was the one that Jesus cast the 7 demons out of her. The Catholic Church did correct their stance on this, I believe in this century, but not sure.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    If only we knew the true story,....I wonder how much difference it would have made in the establishment of Christianity as we know it today?

That's really the essence, isn't it? All of religion is about trying to parse a myth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit