Dealing my own sexual abuse

by Valis 24 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Valis,

I think no matter what type of a background people come from, it is normal to be curious about sexuality - even at a young age. I don't know you well enough to know exactly what happened in your family, but I can guess from what you have written that there is a history of sexual abuse in your family, and not just with one family member. I think this makes it even more likely that you would be interested in sexuality at a young age. Because you were young, and human, you responded in a way one would expect you to respond given your circumstances. What you describe sounds to me like a perfect reflection of behavior models which say - if you provide a certain stimulus - you should expect a certain reaction. Your environment was the stimulus - and what you did with what you learned in that evironment is the response. The stimulus was CONTROLLED by the people in your environment - people who should have known better. You were a young child - impressionable, and without an example to know any better! Your response was a natural one. You are human! You wouldn't have behaved the way you did had you been in a completely different environment! I think most psychologists would be more worried about you if you hadn't acted it out - because who knows how it eventually would have manifested once you got older? The mind can do strange things. So, no - I don't believe it is your fault. Especially when you were the victim!

From what you've written, I get the impression that the reason these memories bother you is because you might feel guilty - from both the experiences with your cousins, and your siblings. It also sounds like you could be afraid of yourself in the sense that you fear you could fall into the trap all over again, this time as a responsible adult who knows better. I suspect even further, that how you feel about these two issues greatly affects your relationships with others, and/or potential relationships. I am being presumptuous, and if I am off-base, I apologize. But if I am on the right path, I think it is very important for you to *honestly* answer those questions yourself. It was unbelievably brave of you to lay yourself bare to everyone in here, but the only person's whose opinion REALLY matters to the questions you ask - are yours. You are so lucky to have so many supportive friends on this board, and I suspect that no matter how you answer your questions - you will still have those same friends when you get through to the other side! It is HUGE that you would even bring this up - it is the first step towards healing, and I believe that it is the healing you crave more than the opinions of your valued friends.

Eh! Something to think about, anyway.

Well, the doctor is no longer in. That will be 5 cents, please!

Your Friend,

imallgrowedup

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

(((((Valis)))))

One of the most brutal lessons of being a sexually abused child is the teaching that was instilled in us ... that somehow it was our fault.

Keep remembering ... it was not your fault. You were an innocent child and in no way responsible for this behaviour being brought on yourself, nor "acting out" what was put on you.

Know you are supported here and loved.

(((((Hugs)))))

ESTEE

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Valis, as you know from long ago, I too was molested at a young age, although older than yours. In my opinion, it does not mark you to be a pedophile, although it does screw with your head. Child abuse is a passed down matter, but the cycle can and has been broken. I broke it in my own family.

Without knowing more details (admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread yet), it sounds to me that you are dealing with bad experiences and they frighten you. The fright you may feel, to me, is good. It tells me you do not have those tendencies. Otherwise, you would be doing something you shouldn't. Turn your experiences positive by ensuring that what was done to you isn't passed on to your own children.

What you may or may not have done towards your own siblings, although not proper, is also from what you thought was normal at an early age, it's all part of the cycle. Maybe contact them now and apologize to them explaining what was being done to you. It may shock you to find out they may have experienced it from someone else too.

Hang in there bud and break the cycle. You can do it.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Wow. I don't know what to say Valis. I've never seen you say anything that would make me think you were a sexual predator. On the contrary, I've seen you post beautiful pictures of your happy little girls. They look happy and healthy in the pictures. Looking at it in a parents perspective is the only thing I can do very well. If you know that your children are well and protected, than you are a normal, healthy parent, no matter what you went through. Your children are the most important people that you will ever know. Ever! I'm sorry you went through what you did but, I don't think you have let it affect the way you deal with your children. What can I say but, keep up the good work!

~Aztec

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Valis, It's never the victims fault. Being a victim of sexual abuse by 2 women when I was a pre-schooler, I can relate to what you're saying. And it DOES NOT mean that the victim will have the same tendencies later in life. In fact, there's nothing I hate worse than a pedophile.

PM me if you wish,

Walter

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

(((((((Valis))))))

I admire your courage and strength in breaking the silence and to share your experience with us.

Being a woman and a survivor of sexual abuse. I experienced the same feelings and questioning myself? Being a victim always questioning themselves. To have someone outside of ourselves to say that its Not Our Fault . Takes time to fully realize its not our fault.

Thank you for sharing because it opens the doors for others here.

All the Best, Old Crow Woman

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

A brave post my friend -- agape

• blondie
    blondie
    Does this make me a potential pedophile now? I

Not any more than if you had not been abused.

Blondie (abuse survivor)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2732083.stm

http://www.prevent-abuse-now.com/stats.htm

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    Does this make me a potential pedophile now?

NO. Pedophilia is a CHOICE, not an inevitability. I am so sorry you had that happen to you, my friend. You haven't made the choice to go down that road, even if you had an inclination to do so (which I don't think you do -- I think your experiences just made you aware of it).

(((((Valis)))))

Love,

Nina

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I agree with what Nina said:

NO. Pedophilia is a CHOICE, not an inevitability. I am so sorry you had that happen to you, my friend. You haven't made the choice to go down that road, even if you had an inclination to do so (which I don't think you do -- I think your experiences just made you aware of it).

You no doubt have a hightened alert to such pervs and keep your daughters/sisters/friends from harms way without even consciencely knowing you do it, and other times absolutely knowing your doing it.

When I was in my late 30's I told my Mom about a man who lived on our street who tried to molest me when I was about 4,and I also told her how my cousin had gotten fresh with me, but heck I had a severe crush on him even though he was 5 years older than me. I remember at the time liking the attention and yet feeling weird, when I got older I understood it all so much better. Well this opened up a whole can of worms about how my uncle (my cousins father) has molested my Mom. She said she always kept us kids away from him.........but didn't think about our cousins being a problem. She also warned us kids a lot about certain men, somehow her warnings served me very well and when I had my kids I made sure they were never around certain men, you know the ones who like to be with young children when all the other men are off doing mens stuff. Any man that gave my children undue attention was on my hit list! LOL

The best advise I can give you is to always remember it was all about the preditors sickness not about YOU! Your best reply to those who harmed you is to make sure that in your generation it STOPS!

(((((((((Valis))))))))))

KateButterfly With Cocoon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit