Is There Any Thing That Would Make A JW SERIOUSLY Question Their Religion?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Overlapping generations should do it.

Oh wait...

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i wonder how many remain simply because of fear of losing family and friends if they do leave.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    MyNamy - Overlapping generations should do it.

That was the last straw for me, oddly enough. I do have to say, it was the last straw in a whole list of things.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SNUGGLEBUNNY:

You are right about when a person becomes a JW it's about a whole lifestyle - an all-consuming lifestyle at that. If I knew this, I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation and wasted time.

For me, it was the 1995 Generation teaching that finally made up my mind it was nonsense and that I had to get the hell out of there!

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Time...the passing of time does it...

@ punkofnice:

The overlap pretty much did it for me as well.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am convinced that there is absolutely nothing I could say that would convince a JW that they are following a dead end. However, I am also just as convinced that I can show some that live after the cult can be very successful. I am active in Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. While I do not engage in debates, those that know my past history in the cult will see a very successful (and happy) future after the cult.

Perhaps if one of the governing body members showed up to morning worship with a beard, that might do it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In my experience the main thing that will make JWs reconsider their beliefs is a personal injustice. I have not really experienced any injustice. Well nothing major. Which is probably why I haven’t left.

But I’ve always been a curious person. So the idea that apostate information was “no go” was never a flyer for me. If it’s the truth then it’s the truth and it can withstand criticism. The idea that there is some information you shouldn’t access just seemed like such nonsense.

But most JWs display an astonishing lack of curiosity about their own religion. It always amazes me. I can’t figure out what is going on psychologically when intelligent JWs refuse to consider counter arguments. Is it overconfidence? Is it fear? I can’t understand it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's often once the R&F cult member experiences the hateful treatment so inherent within the cult, that they begin to question if it's from god.

Or as Slim says above: Personal Injustice.

People can overlook a lot of things, by simply writing it all off to "we don't know all the facts" (about other peoples bad experiences); or, "imperfect humans", or, "wait on Jehovah", etc. Almost every experience I know of JWs awakening had to do with a personal injustice against them, their kids, or someone close to them that they trusted what they were told really occurred.

When this happens, then all the little doubts that they have been locking away begin to all surface and that's when the sh!t hits the fan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit