jw view on sex

by abraham 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Room 215
    Room 215

Spiritwalker..... agreed.. In particular did Knorr and his contemporaries seem preoccupied with sex. In the primitive societies you describe, monogamy was pure pragmatism, since the nine-month gestation and post-partum phases of pregancy and early motherhood debilitated a woman; and her infant, unlike the chicks and other animal offspring which are often self-sufficient from the moment they emerge from the egg or whatever, was entirely dependent on her. The man's monogamous commitment, therefore assured the stability/survival of mother and child, as it bound the hunter/forager male to return to home and hearth ever evening with the daily food.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    genesis1:28 -gods purpose is to populating the earth , sex is not wrong but sexual before merriage is wrong

I'm SO f***ing dead at Armageddon.

• searcher
    searcher

From the Bible, define 'The Act of Marriage'

What exactly do you have to do to be 'Married'

Provide references.

• core
    core

JW view of sex is puritan - the Public Talk (No 13 A Godly View of Sex and Marriage) does provide a basis for husband and wife having a mutually fulfilling sexual relationship but against that is the overall tone from the WT, elders etc that condemns anything which is not "normal" or "straight" what is normal or straight? Not for me to judge but the puritan outlook intruding in the marriage bed is offensive. A fruitage of this "morality" can be seen in the fact that many young JWs have rushed into teenage marriage so that they can legitimately have sex and look at the results in broken marriages/homes dfing etc

Given that the resurrection will eventually populate the earth (JW teaching) then does this mean that only those alive at the big A will conrtinue to have sex relations, as those resurrected are "as the Angels" (sexless) "the children of the resurrection neither marry, nor are given in marriage..." seems like a good reason for a loyal dub to try and stay alive through the tribulation or else become a mere bystander in matters sexual!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am sorry to get biological but the basic body functions are , sensitivity (touch feel sight etc.), excretion, nutrition, sexual activity -- it is a god given function -- so what the hell is the big deal about restricting sex -- why restrict that biological function and not the others -- just an old fashioned fundamenatalist view

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82
    why restrict that biological function and not the others

what other biological functions do you feel compare with sex? i don't agree with puritanical sexual restrictions, but i do acknowledge that sex has a complexity that extends beyond the basic physical interaction.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

That is an interesting question Tinkerbell. I would class eating as one --- let me explain -- yes we can stuff food in our mouths which we need to survive -- but we (and the French and Belgians in particular) eat as almost an art form --eating is such a pleasure they can take 5 to 6 hours over dinner. Sex is a bodily function designed to procreate the human race but it is also done purely for plaesure. Why else masturbate for example?. It brings pleasure and tremendous release/relief and is agraet stress reliver . I believe siome people also eat to relieve stress. Sex is a bodily function which puratanical religions have made a big deal of -- and introduce guilt in the process

Locomotion (movement) and respiration are two other key functions -- some people get pleasure out of walking which is locomotion -- as well as being a function and some people really enjoy breathing in cold clean sea or mountain air for example -- respiration -- so again more than just a function. I also know people who really get pleasure out of going to the bathroom -- but let us not go there and get this thread deleted.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Abraham

the perspective of which this thread is slanted takes its "que" from the scriptures you posted. If you do not recognize either the Hebrew or Christian scriptures as "sacred" ; then they are viewed as a book of ancient writings; remnents of an ancient culture which no longer exists and is out of place in contemporary life.

I have to agree with Spiritwalker here, and just about everyone else posting; and take a far more secular ( health issues put aside) view on sex.

Frank

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    I am sorry to get biological but the basic body functions are , sensitivity (touch feel sight etc.), excretion, nutrition, sexual activity -- it is a god given function -- so what the hell is the big deal about restricting sex -- why restrict that biological function and not the others -- just an old fashioned fundamenatalist view

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but if all basic body functions are to be closely monitored by puritanical ultraconservative religions, shouldn't they equally condemn users of Kaopectate, Pepto Bismol, and/or Metamucil in that these substances block or enhance the body's natural ability to excrete?

It seems that the puritanical religious zealots are selectively condemning. It is unfair that they not equally condemn all abusers of natural bodily function instead of merely concentrating on the sexual.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well put sanfranciscoJim -- that is what I was trying to say -- I did not pick the correct words

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit