What Is the JW Belief Regarding the Millennium?

by Cold Steel 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

Cold Steel: You are not allowed to promote cults on this site. If you do so again, you'll be deleted.

Mormons are a cult just like the JWs are.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Simon, who said I'm promoting cults?

I don't mind people attacking cults like Mormonism and first century Christianity, but should people be allowed to mindlessly attack other people's religions and the person not be permitted to respond? If someone wanted to defend being a Jehovah's Witness, are you saying he would be deleted? If so, this would be a new policy because I've been here many years and read the terms of service. I've never seen a JW called out for defending one's beliefs. Or does the policy apply only to those who can intellectually defend their beliefs?

We live in a new era where it's now okay to tear down statues of those we paint with a broad brush and muzzle those who challenge our ways of thinking. People like Cofty respond with puerile retorts of name calling, form never substance. You do a diservice to honest dialog by encouraging a policy that permits personal attacks but stifles intellectual responses.

Perhaps your terms of service should reflect this new policy.

• cofty
    cofty

QCMBR has thoroughly debunked the Mormon cult. I'm not going to waste any time on it. Anybody can check out the ex-mormon forums if they want to know the facts.

We all know that you will only get lies and deception from active JWs and from the official website. If you want to know the truth about the Watchtower you need to talk to exJWs. Same goes for any other cult including the LDS.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Yes, Coftey, and how would you know it's been thoroughly debunked? I've been LDS for 45 years and have friends who are highly active in the ex-Mormon community. Unlike you, I've studied both sides extensively and have yet to see the proverbial nail in the coffin. To the contrary I've seen considerable evidence supporting it.

When you have a book like the Qur'an, you can judge it only by the standard of one man (610 A.D.) telling one story with no witnesses other than himself. We can't even judge it that way because the Qur'an was not compiled until substantial time after the fact. If it was changed, we don't know. If it was added to we don't know. We can't even compare it to other writings of its time and determine anything because it would tell us nothing.

But we do have numerous writings from 600 B.C. we can use as comparative texts. And we have a far better understanding of historical context than we had even a hundred years ago.

The Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, have a clear history. No one wonders what they were thinking and teaching because we know.

As historical documents go, it should be child's play to take a purported document from 600 B.C. and prove without doubt that it's a hoax or forgery, especially with books from the Dead Sea Scrolls and other discoveries.

You can, of course, make whatever conclusions you wish, and if you wish to make those conclusions based on gross ignorance, then you should really give the critics of evolution a break rather than criticize them. (At least until it's been conclusively proven.)

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I've been LDS for 45 years and have friends who are highly active in the ex-Mormon community.

So why are you here? On an ex-JW site. Are you trying to recruit vulnerable people who have just esaped the JW cult? I find that objectionable, preying on struggling, wounded people.

• cofty
    cofty

I've read the BOM. It reads like it was written by a teenager with an overactive imagination.

It also plagiarises the King James bible. It is utter bollocks.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    So why are you here? On an ex-JW site. Are you trying to recruit vulnerable people who have just esaped the JW cult?

Oh, yeah, that would work! I first came here years ago for more information because of family members who joined the JWs and then cut off all contact. They went from being very friendly to being aloof. Then they began sending magazines to my mother on what happens when one dies. She thought being food for the worms was terrifying, so that's why I came here. I found the topics here were interesting, so I stayed. If you do a search for the topics I've started, I've never dragged my religion into it. I only reply to people who bring it up. So far, Cofty's my best recruit.

He'd probably make a good Mormon once we taught him some manners and how to read.

• Londo111
    Londo111

"Most Christian religions believe it will be a thousand-year period of peace"

While evangelicals, fundamentalists, charismatics, and Adventists often believe in a literal 1000 years, that is not the viewpoint of Catholics, Orthodox and Mainline Protestants who are amillennialist.

The idea only appears in Revelation, which was a latecomer in being accepted in the Bible canon, so much of it was not taken literally until after the Reformation.

###

In regard JW beliefs: they teach that it is during this 1000 years that humanity will be restored to perfection. Nearly everyone who has ever died, perhaps as many as 20 billion people, will come back to life and be given a second change. The 1000 Years is Judgement Day. "New scrolls" will be open, the requirements which they will be judged by during the 1000 years.

Even though Revelation say that the dead are not brought to life until after the 1000 years, JWs teach that is not literal. They are "spiritually dead" until brought to perfection at the end of the 1000 years. Then they truly are alive in God's sight.

It's basically picking and choosing which parts to take literally and which to take symbolically.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Cold Steel:

You mentioned the Book of Abraham, but now the source has been examined, it turned out to be the Egyptian book of the dead.

Speaking for myself, I'm not threatened by you or anyone speaking about their LDS beliefs. Of course, not to be mean, but I don't think in this information age, there is any danger of anyone converting after factchecking.

The internet has proven a challenge to both the JW and Mormon religions.

• Ding
    Ding

Back to the OP, I think much of the millennium (according WT teaching) would involve JWs cleaning up the post-Armageddon destruction and carnage.

The WT believes people will be resurrected at different times (not all at once) with the loyal JWs being among the first.

That means they'll have to do the cleanup and rebuilding for everyone else.

Not my idea of paradise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit