I WANT MY MTV !!!!!

by little witch 20 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

MTV just ain't what it used to be.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I just got cable for the first time in my life a few months ago, so I don't know anything about the days when they actually played music on those channels. We only have basic cable, but that includes MTV, VH1 BET, BETJAZZ and CMT. I can agree with everyone about MTV and VH1. Very little music and a lot of young people acting silly. I still consider myself young and I went through the silly stuff stage, but to me it kind of seems like one would have to have no life of their own if they want to watch other people do that stuff. Why not get out and do it yourself? I never thought BET was a music station although they do have a few hip-hop and r & b music programs that come on daily. However, whenever I turn to BETJAZZ or CMT they are usually playing music. Maybe not the music everyone likes, but usually you can hear some actual music. I really like BETJAZZ although they sometimes play music that I would classify as instrumental pop, but usually it's cool.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I agree, the whole music industry sucks right now. There is only one music channel called VH1 Classics, that plays old 80s videos mostly, that is interesting to watch if you can afford that much cable. You don't get it on basic cable. You have to have expanded digital or digital satellite TV to get it.

If you all want some enlightenment on why the music industry is handing out packaged "stars" and cookie cutter sound alike music then put Clear Channel into your search engines and read about them. This company was started by a former shock jock. They have bought most of the influential radio stations in this country. They promote most of the tours these days even promoting well known reluctants like Neil young. There is a new form of payola going on these days. The record companies must pay a middle man who pays the radio stations so much money to have a song played for a certain amount of time. They are arranging things so that a record company even has to pay for the radio station to announce the name of the artist after a song is played. Unless you know who the artist is you can't buy the recording, right?

Ever wonder why someone as vapid as Britney Spears of Avril Lavigne can have a song on the charts for weeks and weeks that is so boring it puts you to sleep? Her record company has paid for it to stay on the charts.

*Huge sigh*

Heather

PS: Try these links for some insight: http://www.salon.com/ent/clear_channel/

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=15612

http://www.socialfunds.com/news/article.cgi/1130.html

• IronGland
    IronGland
    I pay good money to get music video channels, so why is it they are no longer showing music?

The same reason Dynasy and Dallas are no longer shown .lol. Seriously, that's about how long it's been since MTV was primarily music oriented. Where have you been living? Really, though, MTV has always sucked. Even when they used to show videos 24/7. The only thing that was ever good was Headbangers ball and 120 minutes.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    I thought they were coming out with "MTV 2" channel to play music vids.

It's there. Well, it's on my cable lineup, anyway. Check with your cable company. It may be a part of an additional package, as mine is available only by purchasing the digital tier of service. My daughter loves it.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I love MTV2, They also have a channel where they play 80's videos all day. Then you could also go to the music stores and get DVDs of your fav artist. But seeing how downloading is in full swing alot of music stores in my area have closed.

• Badger
    Badger

I understand the furstration...but there are a lot of choices, not all good, but here they are:

MTV: more like Miscellaneous TV...Videos can be seen in the mid-morning and late night hours. other than that, the 65th hour of the Real World Marathon.

VH1: Even more disappointing...has turned into pop culture TV.

MTV2: Mostly videos...but some of the programming is creeping in....still, a good place to catch the odd Beavis and Butthead (Which was great because of the video critiques)

MTV Hits: What you're looking for....NOTHING but videos...mostly from the last year or two. (like a top 40 station)

VH1 Classic, VH1 Soul, VH1 Country: the same, except like the classic rock/"80's-90's Mix" station, all R&B and Hip Hop, and Contemp. Country, respectively.

The weirdest...the Nashville Network four years ago was all about country music and southern/rural geared programming...now it's Spike TV, home of MXC, Monday night Raw and Star Trek: DS9? WTF?

(I Like Spike TV...just a wierd progression.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

It's all about mergers & acquisitions, Badger. TNN was purchased by CBS, which sorely needed an outlet on the cable dial to play catch-up with ABC & NBC.

CBS's plan was to turn TNN into a top-10 cable network to compete with TBS, TNT, and USA. They began to move away from the niche market of country music, fishing/hunting/outdoors shows, and motorsports. They figured that country music fans would be just tickled pink with CMT, and that the oudoors & racing fans could get their fill on ESPN & ESPN2 & Fox Sports.

CBS was later acquired by Viacom. Viacom also owns Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, TV Land, and several other related networks. Before long, TNN changed from The Nashville Network to The National Network ... continuing the process started by CBS. The thing was, the audience demographics weren't what CBS originally planned. They were skewing younger, and predominently male.

Well, before long some corporate muckity muck asked 'if Lifetime is "television for women", why not have "television for men"?' And, Voila! We now have Spike TV, which is very heavily targeted toward a younger adult male audience.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

every time i see MTV it's either adverts or bunch hairy students living in a squalied flat, talking crap.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    the whole music industry sucks right now.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, I was actually quite surprised that the band "Jet" came out of the woodworks. These guys rock! It's the first new band that I've been interested in in about a decade.

MTV is one of the many reasons I have bunny ears on my TV. There isn't any good entertainment on cable to pay for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit