Ugg. What to do? What to do?

by Darkknight757 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Yea it all became clear today after a life breath session. I'm sticking with the new job. Mastercam and two cnc 3axis mills and more wire experience. Plus the opportunity to be foreman. More money doesn't fix anything especially if it leads to unhappiness again.

Thanks for the replies and advise.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Great. ..stick to your new job. ..you owe them. How about offering to do some consulting work for yourold outfit?

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Yea I will be working part time for the other company as a consultant and training a guy to run the wire machines until they have a permanent person available.

They are paying me the "I don't want to do this" price for the time being.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Cool you run wire EDM ! We have 3 sinker EDM's and a couple vintage Bostomatic 4 axis high speed mills. Good on you for staying with new job. Try and get some heat treatment experience as well and no one can touch you you'll have work for life where you want.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

This is the Practicalmachinist.com section of JW.net hahaha !!!!!!!! Love it.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Thanks for the link Introvert 2! Yes I ran two Fanuc wire edm machines for over 15 years. Just got bored with wire and surface grinding so this new place is letting me learn cnc mill and their Mitsubishi wire edm as well as mastercam. Eventually they will be getting a more heavy duty 5 axis mill when the time is right. Milling is such a blast and with my background in grinding I know where and when to leave grind stock.

You say heat treat experience? Milling heat treated steel?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

If your old Company really needs your knowledge and you want to. Use it as an opportunity to be a consultant on your terms, your rates and when you are available. This way you can profit from your skills and keep your current job. Wish you the very best!

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Thanks toes that's what I'm going to do. They are paying me a stupid amount for consulting anyways so it's a win-win. The new job is too good to lose anyways and the guy I'm training at the old shop is smart as a whip so he'll pick it up quick I'm sure.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Having a bit of a problem. In January I quit a job of 22 years to work at a shop that does screw attachments. Awesome job so far! Every day is such a challenge and often I leave with a brain ache from all the thinking.

Well now my former boss seems to be out of commission and not coming back. (He's the reason why I left the company) Now they really want me back because nobody can program or run the machines he used to run.

It would be a $4.50 an hour increase and 4 weeks payed vacation. But I love my current job!!

Any advise?

Seems like you have it figure out, so for what it's worth, in my experience I learned that working conditions and satisfaction are as important than money. Money alone should not be the determinant factor. Consulting work is as good, just make sure to inform yourself about how to properly price it so you don't get screwed with the taxes.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Repeated for emphasians:

Be sure to follow ALL of the advice we offer, even if it seems absurd or contradictory. Whatever you do, avoid the snare of "personal responsibility" and "independent thinking," which are simply mental tricks that Popeye uses to deceive the unwitting. Strive not to be unwitting! Be as witting as you can, using OUR wits, not your own!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit