Ugg. What to do? What to do?

by Darkknight757 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Having a bit of a problem. In January I quit a job of 22 years to work at a shop that does screw attachments. Awesome job so far! Every day is such a challenge and often I leave with a brain ache from all the thinking.

Well now my former boss seems to be out of commission and not coming back. (He's the reason why I left the company) Now they really want me back because nobody can program or run the machines he used to run.

It would be a $4.50 an hour increase and 4 weeks payed vacation. But I love my current job!!

Any advise?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If your old boss was the only negative and he's gone, what's to stop you? There's something to be said for a job that is not mind numbing or spirit crushing. Need the money? The vacation time? You have all the info to make your decision. Only you know the variables that effect you most. Good luck.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Stick with the new job is there is room to move up you'll get same money within no time if things are as you say. Plus the added experience and set-up / design / programming know how will pay off for you in satisfaction and self confidence. Are you running swiss machines / screw machines or high speed cnc small parts turning machines ? At middle age we need challenges like this to keep us moving forward. We just bought our first turning center 2 years ago, Mazak QT8N with T+ love it.

Love how being out of 'the truth' enables me to focus on my shop and personal growth. Fellow JW's would look at any and every opportunity to belittle me on my 'secular' career and tell me you work to life not live to work. Yeah right..

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

You said that you receive an income that's $4.50 an hour higher. A lot depends on how much of an increase that is in proportion to your current salary.

You also said that you love your current job. Do I take that to mean that you hated your former job?

Also, do you have a chance of getting your old bosses' position?

• Simon
    Simon

I think once you have left, you should stay left for at least a period. There will always be some lingering "doubt" about you otherwise (are you going to leave again?) and there is a risk that they want to pay extra in the short term to solve their immediate problem but will see you as someone they need to plan to replace.

There's no reason not to go back eventually, I've worked at several places more than once, but too soon is a risk IMO.

Obviously, I don't know you or the people involved though, only you can decide.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You are wise to seek the counsel of strangers on the Interweb. We alone have your best interests at heart and we know what is BEST for YOU -- kind of like the JW Elders, but in our case it it not simply a flight of self-serving fantasy. Be sure to follow ALL of the advice we offer, even if it seems absurd or contradictory.

Whatever you do, avoid the snare of "personal responsibility" and "independent thinking," which are simply mental tricks that Popeye uses to deceive the unwitting. Strive not to be unwitting! Be as witting as you can, using OUR wits, not your own!

By doing this with complete faithfulness, any blunders you make will be OURS, and we will lose mucho sleep-o over your plight-o.

Also avoid crazy people.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Let me just say that's it's great to have the luxury of choice which too few have these days, although no doubt you will agonize over your final decision. There's much to consider -- the personalities involved, the relative stability and prospects of both companies, etc. -- and only you can decide.

Best of luck!

• Landy
    Landy

Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to go back to old jobs. You tend to find that the move back will diminish the respect you're held in and your position will be weaker.

• Splash
    Splash

If you're the only one who can do your old bosses job then go back on the condition that you take his old job.

Otherwise focus on your new role.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Ask for $8 more an hour and 5 weeks vacation.

Will be interested to see how bad they want you back

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit