Has anyone felt like leaving God altogether?

by lookingnow22 82 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

The problem with holding on to a concept of god is that you are holding onto someone elses perception of that god.
    Whether that be the WTBTS, the bibles, or anyones.

So many people in this world have different perceptions of god.

A problem occurs when you fall into line with one perception, you are ruling out someone else's. Is that the right thing to do???
    Should we say to someone else, 'no your wrong...it is i that has the truth'...and even though we have our own perception of reality, it is what we are being told...for instance by accepting the god of the bible aren't we merely falling into line with Western civilisations thinking?

My personal opinion....there are things out there that we do not understand...why worry about that?....i believe in the here and now and plan for tomorrow's here and now...i have one life and i will use it. I am definately a spiritual person....there is more to me than flesh and bones...i will try to fulfill my spritual side, but i will not try to fit into someone's label of being a christian, muslim or buddhist. I do not want to condemn the next mans beliefs, by accepting a god of the bible...because i believe to accept this god i have to fall into line with the statement that only jesus is the one to save you. If i were to make that statement i believe i am no longer open minded to the fact that other spiritual books exist.

Yours dig

Think not about trying to add days to your life, but instead think about adding life to your days.

• kes152
    kes152

The problem with holding on to a concept of god is that you are holding onto someone elses perception of that god.
    Whether that be the WTBTS, the bibles, or anyones.

Umm... well...

I know him personally. I don't "hold on" to a 'concept' of God, I simply KNOW him. It's like how you would identify your friend that you've known for 3 years without seeing him. There are just "certain things" that you KNOW about your friend due to your realtionship that would identify your friend without you having to see him.

Certain aspects of your friend that you know personally, not based on something 'written' or something someone told you. You know for yourself.

When God is made 'manifest' some of us will "know" him and be glad to see the One who has been speaking to us all this time. Whereas the 'world' will be FRIGHTENED, still wondering how it "could be" that there really IS God.

Peace,
    Aaron

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Kes,

While I wouldn't contest that you or anybody else knows God to some extent or has a relationship with God, it seems to me nobody would claim to know everything about God, since that would constitute knowing everything God knows right?

I would take issue with your statement about God made manifest and the world being frightened though. First of all, you referred to God as him. I realize the bible describes God as father, but ask yourself this: Do you think of God as a male person? Can that really be accurate, or isn't it a conception of God? Secondly, the point about fear may work from the perspective of both the scriptures saying that fear throws love outside and God being love, he that has not love has not come to know God because God is love. But if you define the world as those who do not believe in a personal God, I think you'll find a potential contradiction. Is it really necessary for someone who believes God as a male father figure to be free from fear, at any time? To me it's simple, someone who is really "full of" love has no fear because they're not so concerned about themselves or their salvation. Will God really magically strike such a one with sudden fright because they don't have the above idea in mind?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit