Facial Hair

by new boy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

Since I have been out for seventeen years what is the currant society policy concerning beards and mustaches.

In the sixties and seventies facial hair was forbidden at Bethel if you white. If you were black you could have mustache but no beards

So obviously you could not be elder or pioneer if you had a beard.

Any updates?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol nope. Not in the usa

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The no beards policy implemented by the WTS was done so as image controlling endeavor, you see the WTS wanted its public sales representatives look as honest pure and righteous as possible.

Even though its leaders were all lying and corrupt dishonest charlatans

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its looks like the no beards policy in North America stands, you may not get Dfed or privately reproved for wearing one but you wont be given a position in a congregation.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''the no beards'' legislation is still very much in U.S., Canada. But more and more people are questioning it. On ''why is it such a black and white law''. A lot of Dubs question ''it''. But you won't grant any privileges in the Borg, likely none at all, for sporting a beard. It's really unfortunate. One of Rutherfords' past-down opinions, which became practise.

• Done
    Done

Wait for the next memorial invite that shows Jesus in his present modern day position, in heaven, with a beard and ask why it's ok for Jesus? Aren't we supposed to follow his footsteps? He's doing something that isn't ok for the rest of the members?

Never did get an answer to that

• zeb
    zeb

I have beard- tidy- why? I got sick of shaving and a 'bloody' neck...!

I grew a beard years ago while 'in' and had jw's drop 'brother' and started calling me Mr.

Suffered a service meeting part that lambasted beards from an elder whose daughter was sitting in front of me wearing fairly skimpy attire.

............bah!

• Jayk
    Jayk

From my understanding in the USA beards are not so big of a deal anymore if you're unbaptized(I think that's what I was told). The stance was back in biblical times being clean shaved was a sign of wealth so it was common to see beards. Pretty much what finklestien said.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    From my understanding in the USA beards are not so big of a deal anymore if you're unbaptized

Lol thats both obvious and rediculious to even mention. NOTHING is a big deal if you are unbaptized.

• stumbledbyothers
    stumbledbyothers

The latest information that I remember is from the Sept 2016 Study article "Does your Style of Dress Glorify God?"

17 What about the propriety of brothers wearing a beard? The Mosaic Law required men to wear a beard. However, Christians are not under the Mosaic Law, nor are they obliged to observe it. (Lev. 19:27; 21:5; Gal. 3:24, 25) In some cultures, a neatly trimmed beard may be acceptable and respectable, and it may not detract at all from the Kingdom message. In fact, some appointed brothers have beards. Even so, some brothers might decide not to wear a beard. (1 Cor. 8:9, 13; 10:32) In other cultures or localities, beards are not the custom and are not considered acceptable for Christian ministers. In fact, having one may hinder a brother from bringing glory to God by his dress and grooming and his being irreprehensible.—Rom. 15:1-3; 1 Tim. 3:2, 7.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit