Jewish Christians: anybody familiar?

by wasasister 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

http://www.watchman.org/cat95.htm#S

Sacred Name movement: Although some Orthodox Jews and others believe that the name of God is too sacred to speak (and/or fully write), as used in this Index the Sacred Name movement refers to a modern movement that claims that God must be addressed by a form of the Divine Name in the Old Testament (Yahweh, Jehovah, Yah, Yahvah, or some other preferred form). Whichever one true name is chosen, all other terms or names for God are considered incorrect or references to false deities. Salvation, it is believed, depends on referring to God by His correct name. Most Sacred Name groups also teach Sabbatarianism and observe Old Testament dietary laws and feasts.

• detective
    detective

Try running Jews for Jesus through your search engine.

Steven Hassan, the cult expert, thinks they are a cult:

www.freedomofmind.com

now try running jews for jesus through your search engine with the word cult.

I dunno...

• detective
    detective

from Rick Ross' site:

Is "Jews for Jesus" fading?

A controversial fundamentalist Christian missionary organization called "Jews for Jesus" (JFJ) is in the red, reports Christianity Today.

The annual budget for the group, reported at $15 million, included a 10% deficit of $3 million.

14 workers were given "pink slips" and laid off, which represents a staff reduction of more than 5%.

The group claimed that this was due to a particular costly program that apparently bombed.

However, it may instead reflect a larger trend regarding this type of missionary work generally.

Despite its name, JFJ depends upon the support of the evangelical Christian community for its funding. This largely consists of Baptists, Pentecostals and independent bible churches.

But it seems like that interest is waning and JFJ may be past its prime.

The organization was the brainchild of Martin Rosen, an ordained Baptist minister who once worked for the American Board of Missions to the Jews.

Rosen wanted his own operation, so in the early 70s he came up with a catchy name that is now trademarked, which initially drew substantial attention.

But that was thirty years ago and Rosen has since retired.

Hundreds of workers have come and gone at JFJ and some allege that the organization was abusive and authoritarian.

Rosen's successor at JFJ admits, "A number ?left dissatisfied or hurt?We made plenty of mistakes along the way?we allowed sinful attitudes like pride to infect our lives and our behaviors. He adds, Our founder?has acknowledged that."

But apologies aside, it may be that the core concepts, which once generated interest in the organization decades ago, are no longer that attractive.

A growing number of evangelicals seem to feel that more thoughtful and less provocative proselytizing is preferable.

It also remains an open question just how effective JFJ ever really was.

Despite the millions spent annually on its crusade, it appears that very few Jews actually converted to fundamentalist Christianity as a direct result of JFJ efforts.

As churches tighten their budgets due to difficult economic conditions and scrutinize how best to allocate resources, JFJ may continue to shrink.

After thirty years of what can be seen as essentially "hit and run evangelism" and an exodus of "hurt" staff, JFJ apparently is running out of gas.[Posted by Rick Ross at 10:11 AM][Link]

• detective
    detective

also:

http://www.exjewsforjesus.org

What evidence is there that Jews for Jesus is an abusive organization?

Evidence that Jews for Jesus is an abusive organization comes from the following policies and patterns that have been documented during the history of this group.

• Pain training (the practice of physically striking employees to "prepare" them for possible violence against them during street evangelism).
    • Creating a direct connection between workaholism and spirituality .
    • Financial penalties ("fines") for tardiness and other "infractions."
    • Rigid restrictions on personal life. For example, permission is needed before a missionary can date or get married .
    • Repeated patterns of extremely inappropriate discussions between the former executive director and individual missionaries regarding sex, marriage, and other highly personal matters.
    • Repeated patterns of raging and intense ange r (including the throwing of physical objects and physical assaults) on the part of the former executive director.
    • Shunning of former members. This includes various levels of "cutting off" communication with these former members, which have ranged from a complete prohibition against communicating with the person to less extreme forms of cut-off. Often rumors were spread about former members to damage their reputation.

While many of these practices were associated primarily with the former executive director and founder of the organization, several facts would suggest that the JFJ has not renounced its abusive behavior toward its employees: First, the founder of JFJ, while no longer the executive director of the organization, continues to sit on the Board of Directors (he has a "lifetime" seat on the board) and influence decision making and policy formation. Second, the organization has never renounced its abusive behavior of the past. Third, evidence of continuing inappropriate behavior toward its employees is still evident in JFJ.

What happens to former Jews for Jesus staff?

Former staff members of Jews for Jesus have had a wide range of experiences after leaving the organization. Some have returned to mainstream Judaism. Others have renounced any religious affiliation. Most have remained believers in Jesus and have chosen either to pursue "secular" employment or to remain in Christian ministry with a different organization. Very few of the "leavers" have written publicly about their experiences. Several stories of those who have written about Jews for Jesus have been collected on the Ex-Jews for Jesus website.

from freedomofmind.com:

Read Steve Hassan's response to the above Boston Globe article which misquoted him giving J4J a clean bill of health. According to Hassan: "Sara [the Globe writer] created the false impression that, as a cult expert, I give Jews for Jesus a "clean bill of health." I certainly do not. I told her that I did have evidence that Jews for Jesus was a destructive cult and told her about the book, Hawking God by Ellen Kamentsky. I told her that Ellen lived in the Boston area, and encouraged her to speak with her. I told Neufeld that I found Kamentsky's account highly credible when she described her time in the group as a destructive cult. I also went on to say that I have yet to meet others like Ellen who could confirm that her experiences were representative of being involved with Jews for Jesus, rather than an isolated case- and therefore I was reluctant to categorize them definitively as a destructive cult. I did say that I thought Jews for Jesus was very deceptive, and that they made it sound like it was primarily Jews in the organization, when "they were mostly Baptists". I also told her, that as a Jew that theologically, it is impossible to be a Jew and Christian simultaneously, citing as just one example the Christian doctrine of original sin- which contradicts the Jewish belief that a baby is born without sin. There are many other fundamental conflicts."
  • little witch
    little witch

Excellent, Detective.

thankyou

• blondie
    blondie

Man, for every religious group's site, there is a site for ex-members. Thanks for that website. I knew that this lady was too intense. Now I know why.

Blondie

• ros
    ros

Hello, Wasasister:

There are a number of Judeao/Christian groups. Also, there are numerous fundamentalist Christian scholars who are zeroing in on Christianity's roots, Judaism. The World Wide Church of God at one time--when it was under Armstrong--held closely to Jewish celebrations.

Judeao-Christianity happens to be my interest as far as it can be differentiated from fundamentalist doctrine. I purchased the domain name for Grafted Tree to (someday) pursue some of my interests in that area. In the meantime, here are some links you might find interesting:

http://www.cjf.org/

http://www.bridgesforpeace.com/

http://www.biblicalholidays.com/restore.asp

http://www.shalom-crmi.org/index.html

http://www.christianquest.org/CQ-Files/GrafTree.html (my site)

~Ros

• mizpah
    mizpah

My cousin is married to a Jew who converted to Christianity. They both attended a Messanic Jewish church in the Boston area. But my cousin felt like an "outsider" because she was a Gentile. Both she and her husband decided to attend another Christian church where this would not be an issue.

As I recall, the Messianic Jews still observe the traditions and holdays of the Jews. There was something of a competitive spirit among these Jewish-Christian groups.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Hi wassa, I used to go to a chat room on paltalk that was called Jews for Jesus. That was back last year when I was still searching for religion. Nice people.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have attended the Jews for Jesus- Seder.( I think that is what it is called.) I enjoyed it very much. I also have a Jew that I am in touch with ( was a JW for 30 years) came out 2 years ago. Now belongs to the Messanic Jews for Jesus.....Is very happy with it....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit