Jewish Christians: anybody familiar?

by wasasister 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wasasister
    wasasister

I have recently been exposed to something new - at least to me - in the religious world. A Christian group made up of Jews and non-Jews who keep Jewish holidays and dietary laws, yet believe in Christ. They also seem to believe in the literal interpretation of scripture, although I'm not certain this is a generally held doctrine, or just one person's view.

Does anyone have experience with the Jew/Christian meld religion? Someone close to me is exploring this group and I'm lacking information.

Thank you kindly in advance,

Wasasister

• little witch
    little witch

I heard a presentation in my church a few years back, by a woman who was a messianic jew.

She was with an outfit out of san francisco called "jews for jesus".

She related how difficult her beliefs were, her family went ballistic (they were jewish) and they refused to associate with her over it.

This group does have a website. Jews find these groups appalling, and get pretty upset over it, as they cannot believe the trinity of christianity.

Hope this helps!

• blondie
    blondie

Wasasister, here is there website.

http://www.jewsforjesus.org/

I have talked to people that are part of this group. I found them more energetic than born-again Christians.

Blondie

• wasasister
    wasasister

Thanks for the input and the link.

I found them more energetic than born-again Christians.

Blondie: is this a good thing or a bad thing??

Wasa

• blondie
    blondie

Not so good because it is too emotional and not much looking at the teachings.

Blondie

• little witch
    little witch

Thanks for the link Blondie!

Wasasister, I am pretty sure these people consider themselves jewish still, and not christian. I know it is confusing, but they believe the messiah was promised to them, and through them to gentiles, and they believe this promise came in the person of jesus christ, whom they call by his jewish name.

I remember the lady who visited our church explained the passover meal to us. it was really interesting, it linked the old testament to the new, and judaism to christianity.

At any rate, they consider themselves very much jewish, and thus the problem with their families.

Jews for jesus also does 'street proselytizing', and they mainly (oddly) are trying to reach jewish people.

• wasasister
    wasasister

It seems the "Jews for Jesus" movement is comprised mainly of ethnic Jews who have discovered Evangelical Christianity. The group I'm hearing about is more than half non-Jews who have adopted Jewish customs, holidays, and traditions - yet they believe in Jesus. They also do not celebrate Christmas.

Is this the same group, or a splinter??

• little witch
    little witch

Well, I think it is the same group. Jews for jesus has people go around to christian churches presenting their beliefs, and requesting money.

Plus, they link themselves to fundy christians beliefs. The literal translation of the bible etc.

They seek out christian members for their group also, it is open to both. Alot of christians (fundamentalist) believe they are either closely linked, or a replacement (jw's) for the jews, so they get member recruits from both sides.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Yes! As a young child my dad was never Fully a witness. Him being Jewish meant I was raised in a Jewish/Christian household. He believed in Christ, but kept the Sabbath, we ate nothing but Kosher foods, we celebrated the New Year, Yom Kippur, Roshashana and learned various Hebrew prayers and songs. It was odd. He refered to God as Yahweh. Eventually as I got older, and he got older, he slowly stopped those Jewish practices and became 100% hard core Jehovahs' Witness. Funny thing is though, the witnesses were okay with us celebrating the Jewish holidays. I was always confused about that.

P.S. Unfortunately Hollywood has started a Jewish trend and alot of people are jumping on the trendy bandwagon. It's kind of irritating actually

• hooberus
    hooberus
    It seems the "Jews for Jesus" movement is comprised mainly of ethnic Jews who have discovered Evangelical Christianity. The group I'm hearing about is more than half non-Jews who have adopted Jewish customs, holidays, and traditions - yet they believe in Jesus. They also do not celebrate Christmas.

Is this the same group, or a splinter??

wasasister, the group that your friend or loved one is a part of is probably not affiliated at all with JewsforJesus. From the description it probably is a part of the sacred-name movement. This movement is dangerous and has several problems: 1. Law-keeping (see Galatians for a refutation) 2. Use of a paricular Jewish names for God and Christ. Such that a person must pronounce the divine name a certain way. 3. Many of these groups deny the Deity of Jesus Christ as well as the personhood of the Holy Spirit, placing them outside of Biblical teachings. The group is probably similar to something like "The Assemblies of Yahweh" or the "House of Yahweh" etc. http://www.watchman.org/profile/assembliesyahwehpro.htm http://www.watchman.org/profile/yahpro.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit