Paradise Erf - What did you NOT look forward to?

by Nosferatu 28 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

Flowerpetal, yes, Trek epsiodes at times did cover some paradise themes, and yes, man didn't want the restrictions. One episode that stands out in my mind was the one where there was that god (Apollos?) that wanted to have the Enterprise crew all come down to serve him. They'd be his 'sheep' and he'd care for them, but he expected them to obey. But Kirk and Co. saw what that meant - losing independance, and so they would not submit and ended up finding the god's power source and slapped some Phaser power on it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I would miss the type of life we have.

Look around where you are sitting. Is there anything there that wasn't made in a factory? What about your clothes? How much of that did you make? And even if you did make something you are wearing what about the materials used to make it?

I always thought that the life we know now with so much manufactured would be gone. Forget electricity or natural gas - it's back to the wood burning ovens and campfires.

Want a new shirt. Well you better figure out how to make the material and sew it by hand because without electricity the sewing machine won't work.

If we don't kill animals for food then I doubt we will be killing them for pelts or shoes.

And you better figure out how to grow your own food. Stores will be gone. So is the fridge and the washing machine and the dryer

and the car. Might as well forget all the electric tools and learn how to use some of those old hand tools. Umm and you will have to figure out how to make them too.

I sort of figured that for a while we were going to be in pretty dire straights. We could probably find some hand tools to start with but once they were worn out we better get pretty inventive.

No I wasn't looking forward to a paradise earth. It just seemed like an aweful lot of work to me

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, I must have missed the meeting or magazine the NO SEX part was in. I never heard that we wouldn't be having sex except for the anointed who went to heaven and lived as the angels and didn't marry. I never believed that those resurrected on the earth wouldn't get married.

I think what I was going to miss were the billions of people who died at Armegeddon. I thought of so many nice people I knew and musicians I liked, etc. not getting to be there. I didn't like that idea. I thought it would be a serious waste of love and talent and so on.

I believed the new system was going to be great but the final test was what had me scared. You know, the one you would fail and then die the second death.

Heather

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Lady Lee,

I figured God would help us out there with some tools. Then I figured that people who were resurrected would have vast knowledge of how to make things and do it better and in a more beautiful way than electric machines. I figured we'd feel great, have tons of robust energy and we would not feel pressured to do things so quickly because of the 1000 years time frame we were going to be working in. I had an answer for most any problem people could bring up.

But....I was miserable in my marriage to the wrong person. I couldn't imagine being married to him forever. I felt we were horribly suited for each other. If you had told me five years ago that I'd be divorced and have new much better love I'd have thought you were a dreamer. It's not a dream though. It's a miracle.

Heather

• shamus
    shamus

Living with Jehovahs Witnesses. The meanest people on earth.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Heather, boy can I relate.....

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

"meanest people on earth"?

Please. As Hugh Grant said in that bad movie with Sandra Bullock, "That's ridiculous - you haven't met all of them..."

The no-sex part was the answer to how to address population growth - although my 11-year-old mind hoped we would get to build spaceships and colonize other planets, all in the name of getting laid (now that's Freudian displacement!:)

• Enishi
    Enishi

Alot of brothers I knew hoped that they would be able to travel to other planets. It seems to me that many of them were hoping the new system would be some sort of Star Trek type world.

There were many concepts I had about the paradise that were appealing, I was looking forward to be able to live forever and explore all the amazing possibilities of the imagination that eternity would offer. However, now that I believe in reincarnation, the prospect of eternal physical life isnt quite as enticing. Still, I don't think there's anything wrong in hoping for a better world.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Flower Petal,

Which part of my post do you relate to? I hope you aren't stuck in a loveless JW marriage. And if you were and got out then I hope things are as good for you as they are for me.

The no sex thing: I don't recall that ever being said. Most people I knew were looking forward to having children in the new system. Some couple were even waiting for the new system to have kids. Where did you all hear the no sex thing?I never thought there wouldn't be sex. And for the brothers to say that only those living through Armegeddon would be able to marry sounded like bull to me. Why? Because very few people would be able to have sex and you know what kind of riot that would start.

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit