Sign-in fix for IE users

by Simon 17 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

I think I finally tracked down the bug that was affecting IE users - you should now be able to sign in and use the site. I've only had chance to test with IE 11 but it should work with IE 10 as well, I'm not sure about IE 9 and IE 8 or older is doubtful.

Fingers crossed we get some replies from IE'ers

NOTE: There may still be other issues but the first and biggest hurdle is getting signed on.

• Simon
    Simon

Oh crap. I may have spoke too soon. It worked fine locally but not when I've gone to a separate windows machine. I think there may be a problem caused by the extra step that minifies the javascript code to make it load faster. There's a flag to make it output IE-safe code which I don't have.

IE needs special treatment every step of the way. It's a special needs browser.

Sigh, stay posted - hopefully soon and I'll make sure I test against the live site. I promise my next post about IE will be made with IE.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I'm using IE11 and if this post goes through maybe it helps with the cause.
  • Simon
    Simon

Hmmn, maybe it did work and I just had an old page cached. I'll dig deeper.

Maybe too much Yorkshire Pudding has dulled my senses.

• Simon
    Simon

Posted with IE ...

Turns out it lets you sign in but IE choses not to adhere to web standards so it caches the status data that says you are *not* signed in. When you try and sign in again then the server says "hey, you are already signed in!" and bounces you off back to the home page

If you do a hard refresh (Ctrl or Shift + Refresh) then it works as it should. I know how to fix it so it will get the status right itself without this kerfuffle. 

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

No go for me Simon IE 11 (Win. 7)

• Simon
    Simon
    I've just this second pushed an update and was able to sign out / in and post with IE
  • pontoon
    pontoon

Able to sign in on my Android device now.  Liking the new format.  Thanks Simon.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes I'm in , said the newlywed.   (IE. 11 Win.7)

Simon, I'm going to name my first born after you .  

• crazyguy1
    crazyguy1
    Unable to sign in via IE 11 or my Android smart phone

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit