What scams did you use for counting your time?

by Ivor Hope 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

Flowerpetals post and thread reminded me of some of the scams we would use to try to show the maximum numbers of hours spent in "service" for the smallest amount of effort. Here's some of the ones I remember...just wondered if any of you had any other memories.

Knocking on a door near to home where you knew they would be out before making the hour long journey to the actual territory so you could count the time from that first door.

Walking slowly between doors and chatting for 5 minutes at any door where you didn't get a reply.

On return visits, walking between calls very slowly making sure to refuse lifts in a car

When on territory, knocking a couple of doors and then going to visit someone nearby who was "sick" or needed "spiritual encouragement (always good for an hour and a cup of coffee in the warm)

Having a chat with a neighbour about the garden, the weather, football etc, remembering to mantion something in a recent Awake or WT so as to count this as "incidental" witnessing.

I'm sure you must have some more!

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

I used to pick up a return visit and go to the coffee shop and run errands with him. Worth at least 2-3 hours a pop.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Between 2 return visits - or even after just 1- Always call to see my mother and father who are not in "da troof" and count a good 90 minutes as incidental witnessing -- I think I even counted them as a return visit - good for coffee -- even a glass of wine or bourbon!!

• franklin J
    franklin J

As a full time pioneer for many years, we had it all figured out...sometimes we would stand at the commuter railroads for several hours and pass out magazines. We would witness at restaurants through lunch and count the time, We would witness to anyone who would listen to count time. Other times when we felt lazy we would take out the territories which inluded all the big estate neighborhoods ( Long Island is full of them) where you cannot park the car and walk, you must drive the car to each house because the distances are so fare. You wasted much time. It exposed me to a lot of fantastic types of architecture which ultimately gave me a direction in life--so in that sense my door to door activities payed off! Now, I go door to door with my children for Boy Scouts and Girl Scout cookies! The JW training came in handy , yet again!!! No "time counted" in this go round, and I am far more commited to my childrens goal.

Frank

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The JW?s Time Wasting Guide to Field Service

Techniques for maximizing your field service numbers while minimizing unpleasantness

The door rub - Many times, a Witness will avoid ringing the doorbell, for the ostensible reason of not disturbing persons who may be sleeping. A knock is preferable - the softer the better. Some timid persons will actually pretend to knock, while not making a sound. This serves the triple role of preventing actual contact with the person inside, preserving the call as a not-at-home, which can be worked later, and counting time.

The early call - A favorite technique is for a Witness to stop and make a door to door call, even just a not-at-home, while on their way to their meeting for field service. This allows them to start the meter, drive for a while, go to a short meeting, drive for a while longer, and then begin work, with the meter running all the while. Making that one early call can easily add an extra hour of countable time for every person in the car group.

The service pace - If you have ever observed Jehovah?s Witnesses in their door to door work, you may notice that they seem to walk very slowly. Quite often you will see them just sitting in their cars or standing on street corners in small groups. This is called the ?service pace?. In normal life, these people move at the same speed as everyone else, but while the meter is running, they look like they are walking up their wedding aisle.

The coffee break - In every morning of service, there must come a donut. Witnesses are allowed to take a coffee break of 15 minutes, while still counting time. So, they usually choose a coffee shop that is as far as possible from where they are working. After all, travel time counts, too. If you ever see a large group of persons wearing suits from the 1940?s and having coffee on a Saturday morning, you can be sure that they are Witnesses. When the world ends and JW?s take over, the world will be devoid of educated professionals, but, by God, there will be jolly good lunches.

The public lunch - Closely related to "the coffee break", the public lunch affords yet another opportunity to count time while satisfying bodily functions. Here is how it works: A group of Witnesses goes for lunch. While eating, one of them places a magazine on the table in plain view of passers by. This constitutes "giving a Witness", thereby enabling the time meter to continue running. In many ways, it is similar to "the wooden Indian" (see below). Some persons have attempted to put a Watchtower in the back window of their car, and count time whenever they drive, but that's just silly.

The literature tip - A commonly used technique during Watchtower conventions is "the literature tip". Occasionally, when JW's are attending a convention or other function, a group of them will eat in a restaurant together. And, when you get this much brain power in one place, it is only a matter of time before someone will come up with the idea of leaving a book or a pair of magazines for the waitress, instead of a tip. Their reasoning is: The message of eternal life is far more valuable than money. This has given rise to a proverb of the food industry: "When Jehovah's Witnesses come to town, they bring the ten commandments and a ten dollar bill - and they don't break either one."

The not-at-home shuffle - Once a territory has been worked, the Witnesses must return to call on the not-at-homes. This takes more time than regular territory, because the calls are spaced wider apart. Often, territories will have only a few calls left. So, large amounts of time are spent driving between calls and territories. Many times, lazy Witnesses will specifically design their day to maximize travel time.

The wooden Indian - You have probably seen Witnesses standing on busy streets, holding a small display of Watchtowers and Awakes. In most cases, they will stand completely mute, expecting someone to actually approach them and ask for a magazine. This is called ?street corner work?. It is ideal for those rare Witnesses who are so terrified of human contact that even public degradation is preferable.

The empty house call - Most Jehovah?s Witnesses go from door to door on Saturday or weekday mornings. This is the least likely time to get people at home. Once it has been established that a certain home is always empty at a particular time, you can be assured that that is when the Witnesses will call.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Preaching in my sleep

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Some persons have attempted to put a Watchtower in the back window of their car, and count time whenever they drive, but that's just silly.

On the contrary that is just brilliant

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The "silly" comment was a bit of irony. I was contrasting the "sillyness" of putting a magazine in your back window, with the "sensibleness" of putting one on your restaurant table.

Actually, I knew one fellow who counted time from the minute he put his tie on until he took it off. I'm not kidding.

On the other hand, I also knew one anal Witness who refused to count time while waiting in the car for another person to finish his call. He would deduct the time that he was not actually speaking. I suspect he is now in an asylum, or bethel. I guess it's about the same.

• Gozz
    Gozz

lol @ Runningman

When I first started the door to door thing, I wouldn't count hours when I wasn't talking, y'know, faithful dud and all that. Until some pioneer showed the ropes. This guy was impossible. Hours almost doubled.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Ivor and RunningMan....those are great!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit