Basketball and JW's

by lastcall 25 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I think they're just a group of frustrated wannabe jocks who were never allowed to play sports and want to make sure that everyone knows they would have been a super star if they had.

Precisely. When the number of healthy outlets are suppressed, the few that are allowed get ugly in a hurry. Speaking from experience, lots of competition on the JW field. Our congo played "touch" football on Sunday afternoons. Elders called a stop to it because of so many injuries.

• lastcall
    lastcall

Great replies. I live in Indiana-- basketball is the main sport by far. But we also played "Flaggle" football.--- It's funny the brothers would let the sisters play that with them. Hmmm I wonder why.

Joannadandy -- I did really used to feel bad watching the sisters relegated to be reluctant cheerleaders. They had to come with their 18 year old husbands and their dads and sit their board out of their gourd.

" Oh and brothers, no ' shirts and skins ' in front of the sisters, that would be inappropriate " .. oh my God -- they might see our manboobs!

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

Funny topic. I remember playing basketball with some brothers, and they purposely would not pass the ball to certain brothers, because of their inability to play the game well.

The one thing I use to miss, was every fall we would get together and play tackle football. It got real competitive, as some of the brothers had played high school and college football. This is course soon ended after a few got concussions, and one got sent to the hospital...man...the good ol days :)

Alf3831

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Once a group of us went up to the snow at Christmas. The guys played tackle football in the snow and beat the crap out of each other. One elder ended up with a broken leg. I wonder if that was an accident?

• crownboy
    crownboy

Yeah, the basketball games could get pretty competitive indeed. I definitely saw a lot of hard playing, not to mention unchristain words leaving the lips of some .

But if you thought the basketball was competitive, the bowling was worse. Most people (like myself) took it for fun and games, but the folks who showed up with special bowling gloves and their own bowling shoes (not a bad idea, actually ) tended to take the thing a little too seriously. One guy who bowled a bad game early on barely talked to anyone the whole time. But he was perfectly normal the next day in meeting .

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I remember those days ! lol. Every weekend playing basketball with the "brothers". Some took it way to serious .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit