Basketball and JW's

by lastcall 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lastcall
    lastcall

When I was a JW it was pretty much a weekly thing in the cold weather months for different congregations(actually someone within the congregation) to rent a gym for th bros to play ball. I really like playing ball. When I left, that as something I actually missed. The basketball that is.

We used to keep it strictly JW of course, with the exception of an "interested" one, because we wanted christian fellowship and attitude. And because we wanted to avoid the competetive attitude of the world. Yeah right. Playing B ball with JW's is nasty. I have discovered that it is a much more enjoyable game play with "worldlings" --what an awful term-- than it ever was with JW's.

In JW ball, there was always a couple who would try to keep the peace and remind the brothers of their christian obligations while everyone else hacked, fouled hard, called cheap fouls, and argued.

I go to an open gym now at a church down the street. It is open to everyone. The ages range from 15 to 63. There is even one man who comes sometimes who is 82 -- and he can hoop, seriously, you wouldn't believe it. Anyway there has never been an argument-- people only call there own fouls-- and they are generous. When I played as a JW, winning team held court -- with this worldly group -- winning team sits after two wins. It is like night and day.

Anyone else play JW sports?

I now know that we would have been better off letting the world play with us.We could have learned sportsmanship and teamwork

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I know there is such a thing as "brother's hockey" here. Sort of mixed ages I think.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I used to stick polo mints in my eyes and sit up the front row of the hall whenever a friend of mine had a part on the TMS, it was sort of a sport to me then.......

• Gopher
    Gopher

I think the playing fields and courts are where sports-loving JW's (guys mostly) let off some steam, or let off their frustrations. Darn right it was quite competitive, especially if the players were under 30. If it was a larger gathering where all ages from within the congregation were allowed to play, then it wasn't quite so competitive.

Perhaps the "always-have-to-prove-I'm-right" attitude that the JW's absorb comes out in their competitive, rule-enforcing spirit on the court or the field. It's very easy to forget it's just a game, not about who gets eternal life or something.

The non-JW people may tend to be less rigid and realize that the game is for fun and that you still should be able to get along with your fellow players after the game is over. Of course the JW's will still get along, but they will bury their resentments below the surface so as not to appear to be "disrupting the unity".

• rocketman
    rocketman

I did. They cursed more that "worldly" people.

• Funchback
    Funchback

lastcall-

MAN! When I read your post, I was thinking that you and me must've grown up together! It was the same way with basketball here in Philadelphia. Them "brothers" would be acting like it's the NBA!

Then there were always the ones who would jump high enough to grab the rim but not quite able to dunk it. So, instead, they would just grab the rim and hang on it, always bending it out of shape. Morons!

They still run up here in suburban Philly. They yell, argue, get in fisticuffs (rarely, but I've seen it before). Always talking trash.

Oh, and speaking of trash, they always leave their empty water bottles laying around and their trash.

The conclusion of the matter, all things being heard: It's much more fun to play ball w/non-dubbies.

• micheal
    micheal

Playing hockey with other witnesses there was ALWAYS arguing, very competitive spirit, cursing and sometimes fights. While at the same time there was this spirt of "watch yourself because you have privlidges and I will tell on you attitude if you messed up in any way". Always holding this threat before you.

I just joined a community hockey league with absolutley NO BROTHERS at all. Honestly it is absolutely amazing!!! These guys are much, much better people than any jw's I have ever known. They are mature, easygoing and "normal". They know how to treat other people with respect, something jw's have always lacked in. How wonderful it is for worldlings to play together.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    When I was a JW it was pretty much a weekly thing in the cold weather months for different congregations(actually someone within the congregation) to rent a gym for th bros to play ball.

Actually I remember watching the boys play.

That's right boys. This was not co-ed. Only the guys were invited. Only watched a few times because my friends older brother played and we had nothing else to do but wait for him to get done playing.

HOLY CRAP! Violent little mo-fo's. There were more than a few instances of brothers showing up at the meetings with sprained ankles, slipped disks, black eyes and broken arms...FROM BASKETBALL?

• Yesterdays Child
    Yesterdays Child

Wow does that bring back memories. It got so competivive here that the CO had to be called in lol.

• amac
    amac

You should have tried playing b-ball at Bethel. Talk about competitive! They had one indoor court and it was always full. It seemed like everyone there was letting out their angst over being stuck at Bethel when they thought they should have been an NBA all-star. It didn't have the courtesy of a worldly pick up game where you wait your time and then play. There is a chalk board and you have to write your name, as soon as the losing team sees the winning basket half way to the hoop they run over to sign up their names. In the mad rush, lots of "accidental" erasing of other names. And then when you DID get to play, if you weren't a serious baller, you never got to touch it. Lots of "brotherly love."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit