JW's Give Go Ahead for Birthdays???w/t 22/9/03

by Latte 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• reboot
    reboot

I was aware that rice throwing at weddings was'nt 'allowed' - but was warned before my wedding, as my relatives wer'nt jw's; that I should tell them not to throw confetti as it is' technically ' rice.

When I asked why wedding rings and cakes and superstitions such as' old. new, borrowed, and blue' were allowed as they all have pagan origins, the answer was that they were ok ;

the ring serves as a protection from 'other men'

the other stuff is 'traditional'...which seems to mean...'ok, we know it's pagan, but in this country everyone else does it and we're not allowed many celebrations so back off...'

and the cake. well. they just wern't going to give that one up ! One even said- '...it's just a cake...!'

Hey, good argument

• mizpah
    mizpah

Closer:

The use of wind chimes was discouraged because in Asian countries these were used to appease the spirits and gods. I always loved the sound of them in the wind. When I was a child, we had one on our back porch. It was made of small glass pieces that had oriental characters written on them. Whenever the wind blew, we had a small musical concert that was very relaxing and peaceful. I can't remember the exact reference in the publications. But I do know it was the accepted view of Jehovah's Witnesses in the 1960s.

Needless to say, our garden has four of them now. I may be appeasing the spirits and gods....but not the wrath of the Watchtower Society...haha

• IT Support
    IT Support

Hi, interesting thread.

From memory, the Society only says that Watchtower main study articles are read and 'approved' by the GB (thus making it 'food at the proper time'), and not secondary articles nor Awake! issues.

Does anyone remember whether that is correct?

Ken

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

(A star shaped pinata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.)

Editing note: Should say "Astronomers" - which doesn't have the negative connotation that "astronomers" has!

Just one more little "twisting" by the WT!

• Swan
    Swan

Gumby brought up something that made me think of something else:

Would people say..." well, in my area...we like to idolize people on their birthday, and put them on a pedastal, and give undue importance to them". Then we have a cake with candles on it so we won't get any demons comin to the party. We have the victim blow on the candles and make a wish we TRUELY believe will come true. After that......we chop off the head of someone and finish the night with a wild orgy".

Aren't piƱatas a form of idolatry according to JW standards? They come in the forms of bulls, parrots, donkeys, etc. How does that differ from the JW view of the Israelite's golden calf, the American eagle, the Russian bear, the Republican Elephant, the Democrat's donkey, even the Canadian maple leaf? When I was growing up, all of these symbols were a big no no. As a teen, we were counseled about putting posters up in our bedrooms with sports figures, movie stars, or anything that could be construed as an idol. I had someone tell me that cute posters of kittens, cats, and puppies were idolatry!

Tammy

• invictus
    invictus

I remember talking to a sister who was elders wife about our parents and what kind of relationship we have with them. Her mom who is also a witness woul take her out for dinner on her special day. " Special day ? what`s that" I asked. She said that was her birth day when her and her mom saw each other first time. So I a said -you mean birthday? O, she was so upset that I could not see the difference between her special day and birthday, and I truly could not because she would be treated with dinner or supper, she would get a gift from her parents and her husband, have a little get together party with family and selected friends. So just how do you call that?

It is the same with this pinata thing - some witnesses just want to have fun so they make or brake the rules as it suits them.

Invictus

• Latte
    Latte

Jourles,

1971 Awake says...........

Modern Trend

Nowadays the Posada in Mexico features disorder, drunkenness and criminal activity. The celebrations are used as an excuse for wild and immoral living. Persons frequently are killed, and others are robbed and injured. Police are kept extra busy during these celebrations.

How things have changed! Another eg. of the borg. putting an alarmist,negative slant on a subject! They could have said.......many, many people thoroughly enjoy themselves............ sigh........

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I simply cannot understand how the WTS justified this new position. I think it's more likely that an apostate hacker broke in and changed the text of the article right before printing. Props to our resident apostate hacker, sens!

• myself
    myself

Persons frequently are killed,

well that wouldn't have happened if the hitter weren't bllindfolded and and the hittee didn't stand so close waiting for the goodies.

• Latte
    Latte

Drwtsn32

The thought had crossed my mind too! Those...those...........ape?os!!!!! (lol)

A JW friend actually said exactly that when I told her about the UN Arrrggghhhh!!! lol

Myself,

well that wouldn't have happened if the hitter weren't bllindfolded and and the hittee didn't stand so close waiting for the goodies.

LOL good point ?.tee hee??.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit