JW's Give Go Ahead for Birthdays???w/t 22/9/03

by Latte 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Latte
    Latte

The Pinata

An Ancient Tradition

By Awake! Writer in Mexico

The pinata today (p.23)

???the pinata became part of the festivities of the posados* during the Christmas season and continues as such to this day. (A star shaped pinata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.) Breaking the pinata is also considered indispensable at birthday parties.

(p.24)

When considering whether to include a pinata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the conscience of others. (1Cor 10:31-33)

A main concern is, not what it meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area . Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues.

The above is unadulterated Awake material - what do you think?

I reckon it should be party time!!

• invictus
    invictus

let`s have pinata day

invictus

• Jourles
    Jourles

It's even more fun to compare the original article on pinatas from the 1971 Awake. I remember in So. California even the Mexican bros wouldn't dare touch pinatas or even think about having them at the get togethers. I wonder if they are using them now?

http://www.dirtclod.com/pinatas.html

• myself
    myself
    A main concern is, not what it meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area .

Wow, this could open a wide floodgate of possibilties.

• Latte
    Latte

Jourles...............that is so interesting.

I would love to know what the Mexican brotherhood would make of this!

Myself

Wow, this could open a wide floodgate of possibilties.

That is exactly how I feel!

I have even rang my JW brother to point it out to him, and to get his viewpoint on it - of course...he had none....wouldn't enter discussing it with me

• joelbear
    joelbear

Does the same hold true for Christmas Trees Exchanging presents at Xmas Giving Valentines the list goes on and on. What standard does a practice have to meet? Simply how the neighborhood views it? I find this thought process odd.

• myself
    myself
    I have even rang my JW brother to point it out to him, and to get his viewpoint on it - of course...he had none....

Latte, maybe he didn't want to admit to you or himself that he really doesn't read the Awake any more LOL

• Latte
    Latte

Myself,

LOL Yes, I definetely got that impression! It's such a shame that they find it so difficult to think for themselves..........sigh

• Jourles
    Jourles

I'm still unsure if the WTS realizes what sort of can they could have opened with this one phrase:

A main concern is, not what it meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area.

How many here would like to wager that they will get flooded with letters asking them how this would compare to birthdays, Mother's Day, etc.? This could be another opportunity for them to '1984' this phrase in the bound volume and future cdrom's. "The main concern is how it is viewed today in your area." Simple as that.

Heh, a lot of people use the term '86' to mean that an idea was dropped. We could use the term, '84,' to describe new light. "Ah, did you see the latest Awake? They 84'd pinatas."

• flower
    flower
    A main concern is, not what it meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area.

Geez I cant believe they put that in there either. Maybe they are stupider than I thought...or maybe they have a plan to start making some changes and this is part of it. That statement is too big to have just slipped into article by accident. I mean how are they going to explain why this statement only applys to pinatas at parties and not other things that witnesses are denied because of some ancient origin?

flower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit