Thought Provoking Question to a JW?

by Solzhenitsyn 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

Did Jesus ever utter the name Jehovah?

And if he didn't what are the implications?

NWT answers don't count but feel free to use the Kingdom Interlinear.

I'd like to see where this goes here in this forum wondering if it would be a good doubt raising conversation with my PIMI acquaintances.

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9

I don't see it as a faith-shattering question/argument. It's subtle enough to get past the instant "apostasy" alert, but I think only the most academic JWs will care about the answer.

• cofty
    cofty

I think it's an excellent question.

The gospels record Jesus challenging religious traditions and the confrontations that ensued. Not one word about the divine name.

Three possibilities...

A - He did use the divine name and nobody objected.
    B - He did use the divine name resulting in massive outrage and the gospel writers never thought to mention it.
    C - He didn't use the divine name.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

1. Show me in the bible evidence of and the workings of a 1st century Governing Body.

2. Show me how you see the year 1914 as an important year and identified in the bible.

3. Show me where in the bible it shows that there are overlapping generations.

• waton
    waton

Mentioning just 2 texts has made all jws I mentioned them to swallow hard : The Lord's prayer, and "Eli Eli ( almost Allah, Allah) , why have you abandoned me?" then asks them to show you just one text where Jesus used the name in prayer.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Yeah, most of them wouldn't care one bit. I know I have listed a few questions in the past, but one that comes to mind is:

Ezekiel 18:20: The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.

So why did Jehovah kill the son of David for the sin of his parents? He was considered a being even in the womb of his mother (Ps 139:13). So why kill him? And why make him sick for a week while he could have killed him instantly like he did to Ananias and Saphira (Act 5:1-11)?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

You: Did Jesus ever utter the name Jehovah?

JW: He was God's son so he referred to Jehovah as "Father" rather than to call him by his name.

You: Are we not God's children as well? Is it respectful of us to call God by his name? After all, didn't Jesus tell us to pray to God by saying "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name " ? He didn't say to use that hallowed name, rather he said to refer to him as "Father" yet JW's constantly pray to him using his name rather than calling him Father.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Jesus would never had said Jehovah but the book of Revelations says Jesus is the great Amen and he was a god.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Nowhere in the KI is the Divine name used either in Hebrew { Tetragrammaton} or the equivalent Greek letters.

And that is the Greek Text that they use for for the NWT of the Bible ,so the name Jehovah has no place in the New Testament

• a watcher
    a watcher

John 17:26 (kjv): "And I have declared unto them thy name...".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit