Bush Admin Bans Media Coverage of Dead Soldiers Returning..Why?

by Valis 71 Replies latest social current

• Valis
    Valis

Yes Dakota I know, but I brought up this topic, because maybe like you patriotism is something special. I'll tell you of my grandfather. he was a poor bootlegging squirrel killer/coal miner from Tennessee. His father from Germany came over after WW1 and changed the family name to Bush instead of Busch. After he met my grandmother. WW@ was just about to get cranked up and he got drafted. Well, it so happened that he also went to one of the first congos in Dallas right off Ft. Worth Ave. My dad was due to be born and instead of being a total righteous dumbass he decided to join as a conscientious objector and be a medic/ambulance driver. He carried a gun, but he told me he never killed anyone. He picked up lots of body parts though. Torsos not alive but still moving, arms, limbs, heads, the dead and dying. He even saw the concentration camps (never mentioned JWs though) and looked out in a guard tower over German soldiers. Squirrel hunters always got the small medals for marksmanship you know. I still have them too. I remember being a small child when I had to live at my grandparent's house and I slept in his bed. I would wake up and he would be sobbing and sometimes screaming and shouting thing that sounded like orders. It stuck with me and is a small piece of how I feel about patriotism, war and also never forgetting or being led to forget the important lessons everyone learns when war is on. Have a good evening everyone.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Valis, nothing about war is pretty. War is really the result of failed diplomacy, but is often necessary. No one dislikes war more than those who fight them, but they will fight when they are necessary. What we all saw and endured is something none of us wish on anyone. I had hoped for no more wars myself, but it never seems to happen. Personally, I would have wished for terrorism to have been fought long ago, but that didn't happen. Now, it's so large a problem, it is going to be a very long battle.

Even if belatedly, I extend a thank you to your grandfather.

• Valis
    Valis

Dakota...actually I think it was the war that got him out of the JWs when he returned...*LOL* ever think you would be thankful to the WTBTS? *LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

expatbrit:

You are having so much fun with winning strawman arguments with yourself it scarcely seems fair for me to interupt; it must fill a need. You are running on a presupposition that there would not have eventually been any direct military action with a UN mandate. Only under that presuppostion does your argument bear any weight, and it is just (more italics there) a presuppostion... one I don't agree with.

If the US (and everyone else, for that matter) has no idea of the number of Iraqi's killed by US troops since the end of the war, then the number could range from 0 to hundreds of thousands. Until some reasonable quantification can be placed upon the amount, this argument suffers from irrelevance.

However, there are news media in Iraq, who do report extensively on every attack involving the loss of life of Servicemen and civilians. If the troops were really blowing away Iraqi's in large numbers, don't you think this would be reported on by those media? Bad/controversial news is sellable news, and massacres of Iraqi civilians certainly qualifies as that. And I know you're no conspiracy theorist, so you wont subscribe to the ridiculous nootion that there is some great plot to cover it all up.

Once again,. stawman; you advance an argument in your second paragraph above that I did not make; I'm not saying that troops are "blowing away Iraqi's in large numbers". I am saying the interim authority and the US Army have no idea. The fact that no "reasonable quantification" can be put on the amount is exactly why I am concerned - and I'm sure you don;t think THAT'S irrelevent (as irrelevents are large grey creatures with big ears and a trunk). Would people have been confident about the post-war situation in Germany if they had no idea how many German's had been killed by Allied forces since the ceasefire?

The half-million figure is based upon studies by UNICEF and Amnesty International. I started a thread upon it before the war. The US administration needs better bookkeepers for sure, but this figure is not theirs.

So, you're saying you have proof that half a million would not have died if Saddam had not misused the funds he had for self-angrandisment rather than food and medicines?

And you might rather politicians lie and decieve the public; I'd rather they didn't.

LOL...what was that you were saying about strawmen?

Oh, I think that's a fair rendering of this;

If tomorrow Georgey Bush and Tony Blair got up on the podium and made a speech which basically said "ha ha suckers, we fooled you into thinking that Saddam had WOMD's, when all we really wanted was the oil" I would still hold the position that the war was the right action to take, simply because it resulted in the downfall of Saddam Hussein.

In the above you clearly say you'd rather war took place (as it was the right thing to do), even if polticians admitted to decieving people to achieve it. Of course, as you presented a rather self defeating choice (a 'right' war is better than lying polticians), I'm not surprised you're withdrawing from it.

But hell, we've been throught this shit a thousand times...

This was a comment I can agree with you over;

I think in the future, in hopefully more advanced times, historians will condemn the West, not for what it did, but for what it failed to do in the developing world.

Yup, I think that the developed world should be more even-handed in their treatment of developing countries, and should do more. Unfair treatment causes problems, not doing enough causes problems; eventually these problems require more effort to resolve than doing more and being fair. It's a crying shame really as it's not even asking developed countries to be altruistic, it just asking them to look at things in the long term, rather than the next election.

I would rather that politicians never lied because I would rather see the electorate being educated/enlightened enough to always reach a correct consensus based on enlightened self-interest. I accept the reality that this is often not the case, and that politicians will lie for their own ends, and that occasionally such lies may be necessary because the majority of the electorate sometimes gets it wrong. My opinion is that if it turns out this way in the case of the Iraq war, this will be one of those occasions.

I agree with everything except the lies being justifiable; I am no longer prepared to accept that behaviour from people, I had enough of it in the Borg; and there, they lie, just as politicians do, for the 'peoples' best interests - THEIR interpretation of best interests which is as liable to be flawed as the next man or woman.

I think that representative democracy is hopelessly flawed; politicians will do what they need to do to remain in power, even if this means they no longer 'represent' the people that gave them power.

At the moment it's the best option. As education levels rise, then maybe more participatory forms of democracy will arrise. In Switzerland they have had six or so referendi a year for decades; they don't think it's odd. With new technology, it might be possible to incentivise participation through better tax rates (effectively fining scofflaws with a higher tax rate). Randomly selected statistically sound groups would be selected for participating in a vote on a topic. The resolution would then be open to appeal for a period before becoming law. Topics would be raised by apolitical civil servants hgeading Ministries as they perceived the need, or raised by anyone who could get past a threshold of support. It sounds complicated, but I think it would be possible to have it work with less than one vote per citizen every two months; it would probably work with two votes per citizen per year for national issues, plus some local issues.

This will not happen tomorrow. It may not happen exactly the way I see it happening. But participatory democracy is the next obvious evolution of politics as it kills poltiticans, who are the largest flaw in the democratic system.

• invictus
    invictus

SixofNine,

I gave pretty general statement about Kosovo not specifically singling out any side yet you find that my knowledge about that situation is not accurate - how so?Why would you have accurate information? Did you live there or have family or friends there? Do you know anything about where I come from?

I still stand by my statement that world comunity failed people in that part of the world.

Invictus

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Did you live there or have family or friends there?

Friends. They have a much different perspective than you do.

• invictus
    invictus

SixofNine,

of course they do - it probably worked out for them but you are forgeting that there are many ( let say 9 million people) for whom it didn`t work out good ,and I am speaking for them. We all have our own views and it greatly depends on which side we were. From my own experience, from the experience of my family members and my friends I know that what I am expressing is truth.

I don`t wan`t to hijack this tread but if you need any more informations or you would like to make a comment, would you please pm me?

thank you.

Invictus

• Perry
    Perry
    I think that representative democracy is hopelessly flawed;

Abaddon,

Ahhh, you never fail to knock the American form of Government.

Is there a governmental system you can think of not hopelessly flawed? I'd really like to know of one that is perfect for all nations. The reality is that what works for one country and culture, may be end up very unfail for another one.

politicians will do what they need to do to remain in power, even if this means they no longer 'represent' the people that gave them power.

This sweeping statement is one that is disengenious IMO, although not technically untrue. If you had added the word "sometimes" I'd have no problem with it. But, the fact remains that not all politicians will vote against their constituencies. Those that do, usually end up teaching at some obscure university.

At the foundation of a representative govt. is the people's ability to vote out those that do not represent their wishes. You make it sound as if the "people" don't have any choice but to dance at the end of puppet strings weilded by those they elect. This is simply not how representative democracy works.

Randomly selected statistically sound groups would be selected for participating in a vote on a topic.

Ahh, here's the rub. Who does the "random" sample? Who makes sure they are "statistically sound"? How do we keep whatever process/person that is, free from corruption? Even more important than that is, who selects the topics to vote on? Will that person be elected or appointed. If elected, how is that more fair tham a representative govt., since he/it gets to control the voter sampling? If this person is appointed; who does the appointing? ... And so on.

Having said all that, I do think what you described might possibly work in smaller less diverse cultures where a much greater direct democracy wouldn't leave anyone out. It has a hellva lot of allure to it, just not always practical.

The reality is that in very large, culturally diverse countries, lots of small groups' voices would potentially get lost in a direct democracy.... even one with the "statistical sampling" twist to it.

In vast multi-cultural societies, electing officials to specifically represent a group's interests ensures that their voices will be heard since the "sampling" is controlled by the voters themselves and not some other method.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Perry:

Ahhh, you never fail to knock the American form of Government.

You seem to have missed the fact I was at that point discussing the flaws with a system of government, not a specific government.

It doesn't have to be about the USA all the time you know...

Is there a governmental system you can think of not hopelessly flawed? I'd really like to know of one that is perfect for all nations. The reality is that what works for one country and culture, may be end up very unfail for another one.

Is that the point? I'm saying x has flaws y would be better. JUst saying 'everything has flaws', and implying change is neither desirous nor needful is ostriching.

politicians will do what they need to do to remain in power, even if this means they no longer 'represent' the people that gave them power.

This sweeping statement is one that is disengenious IMO, although not technically untrue. If you had added the word "sometimes" I'd have no problem with it. But, the fact remains that not all politicians will vote against their constituencies. Those that do, usually end up teaching at some obscure university.

Oh, add 'sometimes' by all means, although 'usually' would probably be closer to the truth. The flaw is in fact two-fold. Because staying in power becomes THE most important thing, politicians will advance policies that will gain them support, even if the net result of those policies is disadvantagous or an applied lesson in futility. At the same time there is an inevitability with which they will not impliment policies they promised or break promises about policies they would not impliment.

At the foundation of a representative govt. is the people's ability to vote out those that do not represent their wishes. You make it sound as if the "people" don't have any choice but to dance at the end of puppet strings weilded by those they elect. This is simply not how representative democracy works.

Yes, vote them out after their term, when they've not done the job, after four years of whatever. Not a way to run a company; "ah give the incompetant no good liar another three years" is not something you see in business very often. How come its okay in running a country? Although impeachment and recalls can happen we know how rarely that happens compared to how often it should happen. The standards of behaviour of a check-out person in Wall-Mart are probably higher than that of politicians; god knows if there was any DOUBT about the personal integrity of a check-out clerk they would not have a job, even if there was no basis to the doubts. Somehow a politician can have doubts over his factual, financial or sexual honesty, and stay in office!

Randomly selected statistically sound groups would be selected for participating in a vote on a topic.

Ahh, here's the rub. Who does the "random" sample? Who makes sure they are "statistically sound"? How do we keep whatever process/person that is, free from corruption? Even more important than that is, who selects the topics to vote on? Will that person be elected or appointed. If elected, how is that more fair tham a representative govt., since he/it gets to control the voter sampling? If this person is appointed; who does the appointing? ... And so on.

An organiation would obviously be set-up to determine who votes, and to collate votes; this process would be totally transparent and subject to review.

Topics would be raised by government departments according to perceived need by the professionals within that agency. No one would vote on all topics; the topics would be split up between voters so that a statistically sound sample would be polled for each one.

A citizen could lobby for support for a topic; if he gained enough support, it would be prepared for voting by a special department before being put forward as other topics for voting.

Once voted on, a topic would be open to appeal by any voter; if enough people appealed against a topics resoltuion, it would be put back to the voters again with an increased sample size to re-validate the opinion of the majority, or allow them to change their opinion if persuaded to by those against the topic.

Constitutional changes would have to be voted on by ALL voters, and would themselves have to conform to an external charter to ensure human rights were respected.

Having said all that, I do think what you described might possibly work in smaller less diverse cultures where a much greater direct democracy wouldn't leave anyone out. It has a hellva lot of allure to it, just not always practical.

Not today, but I never said it was; hell man, I'm talking a 100 year-long time scale

The reality is that in very large, culturally diverse countries, lots of small groups' voices would potentially get lost in a direct democracy.... even one with the "statistical sampling" twist to it.

In vast multi-cultural societies, electing officials to specifically represent a group's interests ensures that their voices will be heard since the "sampling" is controlled by the voters themselves and not some other method.

On the contrary, in the situation you describe such small minorities are completely lost in an electoral process using 'first-pass the post' principles, like the UK or the USA. Far better is proportional representation, where if 5% vote Green, 40% vote Republican and 40% Democratic, with the remaining 15% being spread a dozen smaller parties, then the make-up of representatives and upper house members would match the voting pattern. Under a 'first pass the post' system, you have situations where a party with less than 50% of the vote can have 70% of the seats in government; not democracy by my estimation.

I'm impressed by your fore-thought about disadvantages to smaller elements of soceity; however, although they would be swamped by the majority, any decent society would have a Constitution in place that would protect them from discrimination by the majority due to their abilty to swing the vote..

And yes, there would be problems; people would realise that voting for low taxes meant poor public services, people would wonder if x % of their tax really needed to go in poltically motivated aid, military budgets or partsan funding of NGO's. It would probably take several decades before people really got the hang of it anbd the full benefits were seen (one of which is the potential of making as many people as possible informed active citizens; you wouldn't HAVE to be, of course, but you'd just pay more tax for not contributing your support to the givernment of the country you inhabited). I;m sure they'd be absolute disasters... no worse perhaps than closing down schools and sanitation services or having black-outs.... but as they happen NOW, it's not actually risking much at the gain of gaining an awful lot.

• Perry
    Perry

Abaddon,

Like I said, it is appealing. This just scares me though:

Topics would be raised by government departments according to perceived need by the professionals within that agency. No one would vote on all topics; the topics would be split up between voters so that a statistically sound sample would be polled for each one.

Just seems like more room for corruption not less. The founders of the US constitution didn't beleive that govt. could be trusted. Hell, they didn't beleive the voters could wholly be trusted either. Come to think of it, they didn't really trust too much of anything. That is probably why change happens so slowly in the US legislation system.

A lot of liberal political scientists put a lot of stock in "professionals". If those professionals could be trusted to be objective (like they'd no doubt be more of in smaller homogenous cultures) then the outcome could very well be greater reflection of govt. to the wills of the people. That totally sounds refereshing. The reality in my opinion is that objectivity in "unelected professionals" will grow less as the complexity of a a nation grows.

Wouldn't it be insane if everyone agreed on a computer program that would objectively select topics, and voter sampling? Maybe that wouldn't be so insane at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit