Bush Admin Bans Media Coverage of Dead Soldiers Returning..Why?

by Valis 71 Replies latest social current

• Valis
    Valis

Why would the Pentagon suddenly stop all the media coverage of our dead troops coming home? A little too close to election time maybe? I hope this comes back to haunt Bush and all of his war cronies and I hope they can live with all the dead that keep piling up every day. I think we need to see this particular reality of war to keep our government in check and to show just how awful a thing war is.

Curtains Ordered for Media Coverage of Returning Coffins

By Dana Milbank
    Tuesday, October 21, 2003; Page A23

Since the end of the Vietnam War, presidents have worried that their military actions would lose support once the public glimpsed the remains of U.S. soldiers arriving at air bases in flag-draped caskets.

To this problem, the Bush administration has found a simple solution: It has ended the public dissemination of such images by banning news coverage and photography of dead soldiers' homecomings on all military bases.

In March, on the eve of the Iraq war, a directive arrived from the Pentagon at U.S. military bases. "There will be no arrival ceremonies for, or media coverage of, deceased military personnel returning to or departing from Ramstein [Germany] airbase or Dover [Del.] base, to include interim stops," the Defense Department said, referring to the major ports for the returning remains.

A Pentagon spokeswoman said the military-wide policy actually dates from about November 2000 -- the last days of the Clinton administration -- but it apparently went unheeded and unenforced, as images of caskets returning from the Afghanistan war appeared on television broadcasts and in newspapers until early this year. Though Dover Air Force Base, which has the military's largest mortuary, has had restrictions for 12 years, others "may not have been familiar with the policy," the spokeswoman said. This year, "we've really tried to enforce it."

President Bush's opponents say he is trying to keep the spotlight off the fatalities in Iraq. "This administration manipulates information and takes great care to manage events, and sometimes that goes too far," said Joe Lockhart, who as White House press secretary joined President Bill Clinton at several ceremonies for returning remains. "For them to sit there and make a political decision because this hurts them politically -- I'm outraged."

Pentagon officials deny that. Speaking on condition of anonymity, they said the policy covering the entire military followed a victory over a civil liberties court challenge to the restrictions at Dover and relieves all bases of the difficult logistics of assembling family members and deciding which troops should get which types of ceremonies.

One official said only individual graveside services, open to cameras at the discretion of relatives, give "the full context" of a soldier's sacrifice. "To do it at several stops along the way doesn't tell the full story and isn't representative," the official said.

A White House spokesman said Bush has not attended any memorials or funerals for soldiers killed in action during his presidency as his predecessors had done, although he has met with families of fallen soldiers and has marked the loss of soldiers in Memorial Day and Sept. 11, 2001, remembrances.

The Pentagon has previously acknowledged the effect on public opinion of the grim tableau of caskets being carried from transport planes to hangars or hearses. In 1999, the then-chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Army Gen. Henry H. Shelton, said a decision to use military force is based in part on whether it will pass "the Dover test," as the public reacts to fatalities.

Ceremonies for arriving coffins, not routine during the Vietnam War, became increasingly common and elaborate later. After U.S. soldiers fell in Beirut, Grenada, Panama, the Balkans, Kenya, Afghanistan and elsewhere, the military often invited in cameras for elaborate ceremonies for the returning remains, at Andrews Air Force Base, Dover, Ramstein and elsewhere -- sometimes with the president attending.

President Jimmy Carter attended ceremonies for troops killed in Pakistan, Egypt and the failed hostage rescue mission in Iran. President Ronald Reagan participated in many memorable ceremonies, including a service at Camp Lejeune in 1983 for 241 Marines killed in Beirut. Among several events at military bases, he went to Andrews in 1985 to pin Purple Hearts to the caskets of marines killed in San Salvador, and, at Mayport Naval Station in Florida in 1987, he eulogized those killed aboard the USS Stark in the Persian Gulf.

During President George H.W. Bush's term, there were ceremonies at Dover and Andrews for Americans killed in Panama, Lebanon and aboard the USS Iowa.

But in early 1991, at the time of the Persian Gulf War, the Pentagon said there would be no more media coverage of coffins returning to Dover, the main arrival point; a year earlier, Bush was angered when television networks showed him giving a news briefing on a split screen with caskets arriving.

But the photos of coffins arriving at Andrews and elsewhere continued to appear through the Clinton administration. In 1996, Dover made an exception to allow filming of Clinton's visit to welcome the 33 caskets with remains from Commerce Secretary Ronald H. Brown's plane crash. In 1998, Clinton went to Andrews to see the coffins of Americans killed in the terrorist bombing in Nairobi. Dover also allowed public distribution of photos of the homecoming caskets after the terrorist attack on the USS Cole in 2000.

The photos of coffins continued for the first two years of the current Bush administration, from Ramstein and other bases. Then, on the eve of the Iraq invasion, word came from the Pentagon that other bases were to adopt Dover's policy of making the arrival ceremonies off limits.

"Whenever we go into a conflict, there's a certain amount of guidance that comes down the pike," said Lt. Olivia Nelson, a spokeswoman for Dover. "It's a consistent policy across the board. Where it used to apply only to Dover, they've now made it very clear it applies to everyone."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

• Celia
    Celia

On "The News Hour with Jim Lehrer", on PBS every day at 6 pm, every time soldiers have been killed in Iraq, they show their picture, with their rank, age, where they're coming from... It's heart-breaking... Most of them are barely 20 years old - imagine being the mother or father of such a young man who just enrolled a year ago, and now he's dead... When it's an older man in his 30s or 40s, you can't help but think about his wife and children.... I don't know if other TV stations do that....

Edited to add - - - what I wanted to say, is that Jim Lehrer and his team seem to want to keep the deaths of the american soldiers (an almost daily occurence) on the front burner, to show to the viewers that there is a heavy price to pay for Bush's war...

and yes, I mourn for the deaths of Iraqi children too.

• Seven
    Seven
    Curtains Ordered for Media Coverage of Returning Coffins

It's about freaking time!!! There's absolutely no way that anyone should view those coffins before the familes and loved ones of the deceased have.

• Valis
    Valis

seven...I just think the idea that no one sees the bodies and everything gets glossed over...we hear about the deaths, but it appears that hasn't shaken enough US citizens to do something about the dead piling up. Its almost like putting our heads in the sand and saying that a steady stream of coffins isn't coming home..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ambush23
    ambush23

I will call uncle george and find out why.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

And Valis if Bush ordered the flag drapped coffins to be viewed you'd accuse him of turning the event into a media circus. Bush will never please you so why not just get over it?

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Valis,

Thanks for the article--it was interesting. Celia kindly put:

On "The News Hour with Jim Lehrer", on PBS every day at 6 pm, every time soldiers have been killed in Iraq, they show their picture, with their rank, age, where they're coming from... It's heart-breaking... Most of them are barely 20 years old - imagine being the mother or father of such a young man who just enrolled a year ago, and now he's dead... When it's an older man in his 30s or 40s, you can't help but think about his wife and children.... I don't know if other TV stations do that....

That is very sad and i feel just as bad for the Iraqis that have been killed too. Especially the children. Pat

• Valis
    Valis
    And Valis if Bush ordered the flag drapped coffins to be viewed you'd accuse him of turning the event into a media circus.

How do you know that? I'm for having the flag draped over them and for us to be able to see when they come home, that way they all mean the same thing and remind us what we are doing, for better or for worse.

Bush will never please you so why not just get over it?

Get over what Stacy? That the Pentagon is restricting access to the media for something that everyone needs to see. It is a natural consequence of war and should not be hidden by the spin doctors in Washington who are serving a political agenda and not a patriotic one. I'll get over it when Bush is out of office and we are done with Iraq, how does that sound?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Seven
    Seven
    seven...I just think the idea that no one sees the bodies and everything gets glossed over...we hear about the deaths, but it appears that hasn't shaken enough US citizens to do something about the dead piling up. Its almost like putting our heads in the sand and saying that a steady stream of coffins isn't coming home..

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. If you think it's going to take bodies piled up like cord wood for we citizens to do something about the dead I believe you're sadly mistaken. It hasn't had that impact in the past and it's not going to today.

The dead soldiers no longer belong to the government. We have no right to put them on display. If their military pictures along with their names, ranks and residences aren't sufficient enough for the public/media then they can all go . Allow the families and loved ones to grieve in private. Let the vultures with their cameras keep the lens caps on until the hearses are loaded. But I guess that wouldn't be sensational enough to prove a point.

• Valis
    Valis

s'ok seven...no big deal to me, but the longer the ops in Iraq go on the less media coverage there will be...which I'm sure would please the administration to no end. This IMO is what every administration does and has wanted, that being media silence where they see fit.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit