Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-26-03 WT Study

by blondie 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Maverick
    Maverick

Thank you, Blondie. Part of their mind control programming involves controlling what words people use. Don't use the words, don't think the thoughts. Works both ways. Right speak/ controlled thought.

Also peer-pressure control...how dare someone SAY anything against our beloved Organization. This keeps bad stuff under ones breath and only in small groups. With fear as a reinforcement. Fear of being labeled with a bad attitude! I remember as a servant other elders telling me of "complainers and fault finders"! These ones were watched and not listened to. So, if a concerned J-dud went to the Bros. and told them repeatedly of a "problem". HE would be viewed as the problem. This shuts down any checks and balances within the Cong. and gives any internal correctly ability solely to the power structure established and run by the Organization. And they are looking out for their best interests not the locals. Maverick

• Beans
    Beans

Blondie your work gets better and better every week!

I love this one!

None of us are perfect (especially the elders). Despite our best intentions, therefore, our speech does not always build others up or furnish praise to our Creator. So, then, we must learn to pay attention to what we say.

So SHUT UP I say!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Things well spoken of refer to information that is reputable or of good report.

This phrase really stood out. "Speak things that won't tarnish the JWs reputation"

Show understanding to those who are shy.

I sure got a lot of understanding when I was too shy to comment at WT studies. My bible study conductor made arrangements with the Watchtower study conductor to "watch for my hand" when a particular question came up.

When the question arrived, the study conductor would stare me down, and my bible study conductor who was sitting beside me would be elbowing me in the ribs to raise my hand.

Is that understanding?

• Badger
    Badger

Blondie:

*Standing at attention, holding up right (my pitching) hand*

"I, Badger, do solemnly swear to mention something about child abuse no less than 30 seconds after the closing prayer on Sunday after this very article to test the waters and likely get myself in a $#!+load of trouble, so help me God, Allah, Jesus, Buddha, Koresh, Zeus and L. Ron Hubbard."

• Soledad
    Soledad

Congregation elders are appointed by holy spirit, yet they are still imperfect and make mistakes.
    is this s**t for real??? so how can they possibly be appointed by holy spirit is they still make mistakes? how is that then different from any other religion??

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Blondie,

I wish to congratulate you for the excellent piece of work.

Your comments are true, your research commendable and useful.

It is a real pleasure to read you 'review', which very cleverly and in a

logical way show extremely well the double talk of the mighty WTBS Inc.

Btw, I really appreciate the research conncerning the complete quote on

' the gift of speech' and all the quotes about ...the 'elders'!

Thanks again, and keep well, you and your family

Greetings,

James Charles MacHislopp

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

build up rather than...tear down
    ... use our tongue to praise Jehovah...None of us are perfect...pay attention... avoid harmful speech...engaging in spiritual conversations....cultivating the habit of engaging in upbuilding conversations...We need, then, to ask ourselves...Adjusting our priorities...Purposeful meditation... overflow with praiseworthy speech...regularly ponder on spiritual matters...Having a good spiritual routine... upbuilding conversations....our conversations will build others...adhere to the apostle Paul's admonition...Scriptural counsel...we avoid passing on gossip...critical times...maintain fine conduct... interesting experiences...how encouraging it is to hear of the spiritual accomplishments of others...build love and unity in the congregation... our lips are guided by Scriptural principles...upbuilding conversations...meaningful, spiritual conversations...opportunities for upbuilding discussions...treasure opportunities to enjoy rewarding spiritual conversations...Spiritual conversations...opportune time...Spiritual conversations...When our conversations are spiritual...

Ahhhh, 'towerspeak. Same old barfworthy, repetitive, guilt-inducing, pointless, self-serving rhetoric, loaded to the hilt with the same old code words and catch phrases the dubs have heard thousands of times.

I used to have the same reaction as Skally in that I just couldn't stand reading towerspeak. While the sight of the magazines still makes me shiver, I can handle these study articles with no problem at all, I hope this is a sign of recovery.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Why is the Koehler quote done to death?

Answer:

Insight book p201 On the origin of language, the well-known lexicographer Ludwig Koehler wrote: "There has been, especially in former times, much speculation as to how human speech ?came into being?. Writers strove to explore ?animal language?. For animals also are able to express audibly by sounds and groups of sounds their feelings and sensations, such as contentment, fear, emotion, threat, anger, sexual desire and satisfaction in its fulfilment, and perhaps many other things. However manifold these [animal] expressions may be, . . . they lack concept and thought, the essential domain of human language." After showing how men can explore the physiological aspect of human speech, he adds: "But what actually happens in speech, how the spark of perception kindles the spirit of the child, or of mankind generally, to become the spoken word, eludes our grasp. Human speech is a secret; it is a divine gift, a miracle."

I recently realized that many articles are a rehash of what's in the Aid book Insight book. Members will assume that there is deep study going on a headquarters. Sometimes that may be so (as long as it's within prescribed limits), but a lot of the time, the writers use past publications to base 'new' articles on. Then they wonder why the criticism is made that it's all been heard before and think members are being ungrateful!

• jgnat
    jgnat

para. 10 And we avoid passing on gossip or relating dubious experiences that cannot be verified . Yes, gossip is still rampant at the Kingdom Hall. From what I have seen from group dynamics, gossip will thrive any time the ones in charge hold back information. So keep printing these articles, Watchtower. It will have no effect on the underground grapevine until openness and honesty are bywords in the organization.

As usual, the WT encourages one-way conversation. From the approved materials, through the believer?s mouth to the householder. By way of balance, here is an excellent article on conversation (which, to be effective, must include active listening

)

http://www.theworldcafe.com/asconversationppr.pdf

If I had the chance to attend the next Sunday meeting, I would be sorely tempted to limit my conversation exclusively to the approved list. (para 5, 7 and 8) Deadpan. Straight faced. And see how long it would take to drive everybody away.

Before meeting starts:

How Spiritually Stimulating our last Ministry School was. Most definitely as Spiritually Stimulating as the ministry school the week before. But I cannot say that the Ministry School before that was any less Spiritually Stimulating. I am so Stimulated talking about the Ministry School. Aren?t you?

Comment:

It is upbuilding to talk about fish, but not about sushi. Talking about food is trivial.
    It is upbuilding to talk about trees but not about clothes trees. Talking about clothes is trivial.
    It is upbuilding to talk about birds but not birdwatching. Talking about sports is trivial.
    I don?t want to be trivial. I want to have Stimulating Conversations.

After meeting:

Wasn?t that an upbuilding talk? I am Stimulated all over thinking about it.
    We really should hook up this week and have some more upbuilding conversations.

Oh, yes! The only possible reason people are unresponsive to the JW message is that they are shy! (para 20) Excuse me while I collapse in a fit of giggles. Perhaps people are not listening because there is no genuine dialogue, no two-way exchange of ideas. Perhaps.

SKally, as I continue to be exposed daily to watchtowerspeak, I find it a necessary defence to analyze the weekly articles with my own personal God-given intelligence. I hope also, that by showing the way, I can help Witnesses on the edge to do the same. Blondie does us all a great service. Rock on, babe!

• blondie
    blondie

Hi, skally,

So what about your dreams; any that are a result of what you read in the rags?

Nope, I have good dreams. Since I was small growing up in an abusive family, I discovered how to direct my dreams into nicer locales. Occasionally, certain images are too intense. During the war in Iraq, I finally had to stop watching the news about it. It triggered some bad dreams that spiralled into a severe anxiety attack, the first in my life (and the last).

I have faced my demons connected with the WTS and conquered them. That is why I am here and no longer at the KH.

Welcome lapuce,

I read those articles than read your summery of them, then when my ex starts talking about something about the WT I tell her comments on the ones you say, she hates it soo much

I don?t know your status, lapuce, but be careful out there. The WTS has a rule, "even if you are right, you are wrong to say anything about it."

Pistoff

, you are getting the point very well.
    Did Jeremiah hold back because it was not upbuilding? Did Jesus hold his tongue on the Pharisees, who were guilty of much smaller sins than the current Governing Body?

And look what happened to Jeremiah, they tried to kill him by dropping him into the mud of a drying up cistern. And of course what they did to Jesus. And we know that the WTS would do that to apostates if only the secular government weren?t in the way.

Welcome, Oxnard (California?),

Why would Jesus need help? I thought he was supposed to be perfect.

Good point!

One girl at the study asked if she could never talk about movies. Fortunately, the adults said it was okay as long as the movie is clean and such discussion doesn't dominate.

Now there is a subjective response. "Dominate" in whose opinion?

Hey there, Gopher, how goes it in the far north (smile),

Elders and their wives can go on tearing people down, and the admonition this article contains to NOT gossip will not be enforced.

That is because it is not considered gossip. I was told they are talking about these people with a view to "helping" them. Unfortunately, neither elder nor elder?s wife ever approaches the person being discussed, to help or encourage them. I pointed this out to several elders, and they had to admit I was correct not that they stopped "gossiping."

Maverick,

you summed this point up quite well.
    So, if a concerned J-dud went to the Bros. and told them repeatedly of a "problem". HE would be viewed as the problem.

This is actually a point of spiritual abuse covered in this excellent book.

The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse / Johnson, David and Vanvonderen, Jeff

High praise, indeed, Beans.

Blondie your work gets better and better every week!
    I love this one!

You all inspire me. I use the Quotes website often too when I am not at home near my own research. The WTS shoots themselves in the foot weekly without hardly any help from me.

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/default.htm

Nosferatu ,

I could have helped you with your commenting . It is like a big scorecard. I had a bookstudy conductor that "made" everyone comment before he would end the meeting. At least 1 family and 2 individuals transferred out because of it. He would call on people who hadn?t even raised their hand.

Good luck, Badger,

"I, Badger, do solemnly swear to mention something about child abuse no less than 30 seconds after the closing prayer on Sunday after this very article to test the waters and likely get myself in a $#!+load of trouble, so help me God, Allah, Jesus, Buddha, Koresh, Zeus and L. Ron Hubbard."

Tell us how it all turns out.

Welcome, Soledad,

is this s**t for real??? so how can they possibly be appointed by holy spirit is they still make mistakes? how is that then different from any other religion??

It is amazing what some of us believed when we were JWs, eh?

A JW will just say that Peter made mistakes and he was appointed by holy spirit. What they neglect to remember is that Peter had his mistakes pointed out to him publicly and he acknowledged them and changed.

Greetings, JC, my fellow researcher,

Btw, I really appreciate the research conncerning the complete quote on
    ' the gift of speech' and all the quotes about ...the 'elders'!

I was surprised at what I found too. I knew that the quotes from outside sources are poorly documented but those quotes certainly proved it?.and the elders quotes, what a crock, eh. And they still promote that now?in view of the child abuse snafus, the WTS has to.

Hey Dan (are you really the turd you purport to be?)

I used to have the same reaction as Skally in that I just couldn't stand reading towerspeak. While the sight of the magazines still makes me shiver, I can handle these study articles with no problem at all, I hope this is a sign of recovery.

I figure it is important to recognize abuse for what it is so you can protect yourself. The book mentioned above was very helpful to me.

Hi-de-ho, Ann,

Sometimes that may be so (as long as it's within prescribed limits), but a lot of the time, the writers use past publications to base 'new' articles on. Then they wonder why the criticism is made that it's all been heard before and think members are being ungrateful!

"Measuring themselves by themselves." I thought it was because they didn?t want to contradict the Bible Research Guru Fred Franz or that the made sure they quoted from the Bible book of Fred Franz.

Good observation, Ann. Every year when I visited Bethel, I toured the research area. I was surprised to find people assigned to reading "worldly" magazines for quotes and articles, which were filed for future use (the internet makes this easier). I can imagine that this is filed under several topics for future use.

The WTS conveniently leaves out the source until 1971. They don?t want the rank and file to know how old the quote is (some are over 100 years old) and that it is from a religious source not the secular source they imply.

Nice to be walking the path with you at JWD.

Hello, jgnat, nice comments.

How Spiritually Stimulating our last Ministry School was. Most definitely as Spiritually Stimulating as the ministry school the week before. But I cannot say that the Ministry School before that was any less Spiritually Stimulating. I am so Stimulated talking about the Ministry School. Aren?t you?

Actually, most JWs including the school conductor, don?t remember what the talks were right after the service meeting on the same night. Ask them about a specific point and 95% will go, "huh?" The WT conductor will not remember what you said in your comment either. It will almost be a generic, fit any situation, commendation.

And rest asssured, the WTS will never take the blame for inattentiveness at the meeting. It will always be shifted onto the rank and file. After all, they are God?s channel.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit