We Are Losing The Peace

by DakotaRed 13 Replies latest social current

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Since Bush stated that the major combat operations in Iraq have ended, we have been continually hearing how we are losing the peace, he has no exit strategy and basically, what despots we Americans are for even being there. Here are some interesting quotes;

...seven months after the end of hostilities, things are a complete and deteriorating mess. Here are some of the more depressing details. A soldier says, "We've lost the peace. We can't make it stick."
    "Never has American prestige in Europe been lower. People never tire of telling you of the ignorance and rowdy-ism of American troops." The French warn that, "our policy is producing results opposite too those we planned." Meanwhile, some troops are tired of talk about grants to the war-torn nation. Says one, "Let them pay for it. It's their fault."
    "A great many Europeans feel that the cure has been worse than the disease... The time has come for our own future security, to give the best we have to the world instead of the worst."
    Europeans. Friend and foe alike, look you accusingly in the face and tell you how bitterly they are disappointed in you as an American. They cite the evolution of the word ?liberation.?
    The taste of victory had gone sour in the mouth of every thoughtful American I met. Thoughtful men can?t help remembering that this is a period in history when every political crime and every frivolous mistake in statesmanship has been paid for by the death of innocent people.

Does any of this sound familiar? Isn't it a lot like the doom and gloom articles so prevelant in mainstream media?

It wasn't taken from today's pages of the LA Times, the New York Times, the Guardian, BBC, or even from any of the myriad of websites set up to denigrate the war on Terror or the current government. No, it is quotes from an article written for Life magazine by John Dos Passos, January 7, 1946.

I would have to say that even with all the doom and gloom of the outcome of that war, Europe has faired pretty well and even kept the tyrants that brought them into that great war from regaining power. I hope and pray that the people of Iraq and Afghanistan have the same good fortune Europe has had.

http://www.kultursmog.com/Life-Page01.htm

• Perry
    Perry

Wow Lew!

Great post.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Very good!

Brumm

• think41self
    think41self

Interesting Lew, very interesting.

Many times it's all about perspective, isn't it? What will our perspective be in 20 years about the times right now? Thank you for sharing that with us, there are a few people I will enjoy discussing it with.

By the way, nice to "see" you again.

Tracy

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

An excellent hit and run Lew. Thanks

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Interesting post. Rather thought-provoking point.

BTW Lew, It's always good to see the names of familiar posters too!

Cheers, Ozzie

• blondie
    blondie

I knew that was the case when you posted it, Lew. Having been born in Europe and having lived there and the US, I have seen the ambiguous relationship between Europeans and people here in the US. I agree with Tracy that the perspective 20 years from now will be different.

Blondie

• outnfree
    outnfree

I enjoyed that very much, (((Lew!)))

(Mostly, I enjoyed seeing a topic posted by you! Could even have been fluff!)

It was extremely interesting to see that not much has changed in 50 years about the perception of American "heavy-handedness" and the resentful reaction of Europe and the rest of the world to U.S. actions.

out

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I don't think anyone (or any sizeable group of people, anyway) is inclined to "denigrate the war on terror". Why would they?

However, as it turns out the war in Iraq had nothing to do with the terrorism threat, and almost certainly is exacerbating the terrorism threat, while leaving America with one hand tied behind it's back to deal with the still very real threat of terror.

The above quotes, while being a cute little analogy, are not really all that relevant. Relevant yes, to the specific event of America being criticised for heavy-handedness, but not relevant to the very different situations of WWII and Iraq.

Bring 'em on, we'll put your sons and daughters out front to face 'em, sayeth the shrub.

When this war started, I was very much in favor of it. I was very wrong.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Six, for as many people you find aware of this war, that is how many opinions you will also find. All are free to their own views.

I just found it interesting that, regardless of what view we now may have, those same views were also present and being expressed 50 years ago. Today, that conflict is glorified as the best generation of the century and all. Who knows, maybe history will look back in another 50 years and see this much the same. Maybe it won't.

For everyone else, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you all liked the article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit