Reform or Retire?

by core 12 Replies latest jw friends

• core
    core

DO we change our attitude when we get out? Caspian indicated (when he was an active elder over a year ago) how he was working with other like minded elders from within to achieve reform - but like many of us he is now "out" or fading - many others of us thought that change for good could be achieved - have we all moved from that position if we are out - have we given up trying - have we stopped contact with those we though agreed with us - is it easier to just move on? Caspian - do you think that the others you were involved with are still trying to make changes - did you achieve much when you were actively trying to promote decent standards ? For everyone who thought they could improve things - what do you think now?

(My view is if it never worked don't try and fix it )

• rocketman
    rocketman

Improvement in any large organization is obviously very slow and difficult to achieve. They have a certain intertia all their own. I remember being appointed as an elder and then thinking 'finally, I am in a position where I can effect some changes, do some good', only to realize that even small changes in one congregation were nearly impossible to achieve.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I am reminded of the old saw about trying to teach pigs to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

If a GB member (R. F.) couldn't effect lasting change, whose ideas were less radical than most of the reforms I've seen posted here, what hope do elders have?

• freedom96
    freedom96

In my congregation, there was no reform. No one dared to make a difference, or else they be thrown out on their ass.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

You're going to need something on the order of the fall of the Soviet Union...which was driven by an economic collapse. The WTS has too much in assets to coast on for a long while before any economic pain would occur, and while income is not climbing, it's not plummeting either.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Reform can never work.The system is set up to weed out reformers or independant thinkers.The party line must be followed at all costs.

With every visit of a CO or DO the start of any grass roots movement towards reform will be snuffed out with no mercy shown.Conformity and loyalty to every thought of the WT SOC.is the only accepted way.Nothing else will be tolerated!!! Getting out is the only answer.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

The closest thing those working towards reform will be able to achieve is a split.

I believe that eventually we are going to see two separate religions form out of the JWs:

Orthodox Jehovah's Witnesses

~ and ~

Reformed Jehovah's Witnesses

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Like others have said, this religion is designed to weed out reformers and independent thinkers making reform nearly impossible. The path this religion is likely to follow is a long and slow hemorrhage of followers.

It is just a matter of time before it becomes so anemic that it can no longer function like has in the past. It will not go away any time soon? few religions actually disappear. What usually happens is you end up with a very small group of hard-core believers... everyone else just slide away into the shadows.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

anemic is the word I have been searching for ................

• JT
    JT

when most folks speak of reform they are usually speaking in terms of WINDOW DRESSING--

a little change on blood, dfing, college, etc, but the main reason in my exp that many former elders realize that there can be no real reform is because the entire superstructure is built on a Lie

i would often ask folks reform wt into WHAT???

CURRENTLY it is the only mouthpc of god, it is the only channel he is using, it is the only one with the correct understanding of the bible- the major players in the organization those who are in charge of the various corps that were formed in 2000 are all benifactors of the current program

if someone could tell me why these guys would want to live bethel and go get a 9-5 job i will listen

where could the major players in the org go where they could be flown around the world , enjoy the praise of millions of adoring fans- YES BETHLITES HAVE FANS much like any rock star, esp the Bethel Heavies

so why would they want to change-

besides the core dogma we speak for god if removed leaves one with nothing- for that is the key to almost all religions, thier claim or stake that the REAL GOSPEL is being preached OVER HEREEEEEEEEEE!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit