What's happened to the preaching work?

by Dark Knight 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

According to the WTBTS, the preaching work was to end more than three years ago:

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be concluded in our 20th century." - Watchtower Jan. 1, 1989, p.12
  • kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

But the issue isn't so much whether or not JWs are effective--but whether or not JWs think that going door to door is going to save them a space on paradise earth. Is it only me that thinks it might be fairly significant if the rank and file have lost that belief?

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    Is it only me that thinks it might be fairly significant if the rank and file have lost that belief?

I would say the society is going through huge changes. They have to in order to survive. The sky is falling line isn't working anymore. But we have to remember that these people can't discuss any disbeliefs in doctrine in public. It's done in private only.

I know an 18 year old dub boy that emails me. He said he no longer believes and wishes his parents would leave like mine did so he could. His problem, like so many others, is that he got baptised several years ago. So he, like so many others, is going throught the motions.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

So long as the WTS has a free work force to hand deliver their books they will have no insintive to change their preaching methods. It would be far more effective for them to spread the "good news" via the mass media, but this would require them to use their own money for advertising. They would also loose control of the information... and the leaders of the WTS are contol freaks. Why whould they change while they have 6 Million people willing to do it for free... who are also able to contol the information?

This tells me that their main goal is not the preaching work but the distribution of books and magazines... and the $$ that comes from that. Sure, they are technically "non-profit"... but that legal designation does not mean they cannot charge more for the product than it costs them to produce. That is how "non-profit" organizations grow.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

But it sounds to me as if the books and mags AREN'T getting distributed, but rather left in stacks in laundramats and doctors offices and dumpsters. I'm wondering if the r & f are willing to part with enough money to satisfy the WTS if they don't believe they're getting anything in return (i.e., a spot reserved on paradise earth for themselves and those they love).

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I am also certain that the WTS is well aware of the fact that the average JW is not "into it" like past JWs were. They have pulled all of their usual tricks out of their hat: Congregation pep talks from the Kingdom Ministry and Watchtower, Special Talk days, Special Talks from COs, DOs, and visiting Bethlites, Special Assembly Days, Special Tracts that are "urgently needed to be distributed), etc...

For them to get the R&F to get busy again, they will need to restore a sense of urgency. In the past they did this by setting deadlines, but they are scared to do this again because they have been burned every single time. Nothing disproves a false prophecy like the passage of time! What is odd is that they actually took away a semi-deadline when they changed the definition of the word "generation"... and they only did that because the passage of time was forcing them to. It was becoming painfully obvious that the generation of 1914 was all but dead.

All they really have now is their repeated reminder to ?do more? and the guilt that is used to compel the people into action. Unless they can come up with another gimmick they will continue to settle into a state of stagnation. I doubt they will completely disappear from the earth... very few religions do that... hell, there are even still Branch Dravidians out there... however it is just a matter of time before they start to use the politically correct term of "Negative Growth".

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Very true KG... I'd say that 80% of the money from literature placements is coming from the pockets of the R&F... not people at the doors. The average JW also does not want to reduce their literature orders because they know that the elders will have a "little talk" with them. They are left with two alternatives: 1) Leave most of the literature at laundry mats and other "drop points". 2) Collect them at home and then throw them away. Unfortunately guilt prevents most from doing #2.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Very true KG... I'd say that 80% of the money from literature placements is coming from the pockets of the R&F... not people at the doors. The average JW also does not want to reduce their literature orders because they know that the elders will have a "little talk" with them. They are left with two alternatives: 1) Leave most of the literature at laundry mats and other "drop points". 2) Collect them at home and then throw them away. Unfortunately guilt prevents most from doing #2.

• Joker10
    Joker10

I've seen them everywhere.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Great to see you start a thread again, Dark Knight! Good points you make too.

Since we know the same general area, I must say that I think you're right. The dubs are conspicuous by their absence. Each day, Mrs Ozzie and I look out for them, but guess what? We haven't seen a witnessing group for a few years. There was a time when you you couldn't miss 'em. But now? No can see.

Interestingly the WTS publications claim that the "preaching of the GN" would actually increase as the end drew nearer.

Guess it ain't, eh?

I note too that the WTS claim that the preaching of the GN would be an indication of "true Christians". Interesting then that it's the charismatics who've been witnessing to you!!!!

Keep up the good work, mate! We need ya here.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit