What's happened to the preaching work?

by Dark Knight 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Hi Everyone,

Something happened the other night that got me thinking. I met a christian in one of the local malls and he did the usual preaching about jesus routine, trying to convince me that I am a sinner and how I need jesus and all that jazz. He wasn't a JW, but rather he was from one of the local revivalist churches.

Now what I'm thinking is that I've been out of the org for almost three years now. I just vanished. No DF or DA. But I still haven't had a witness knock on my door and the only people that have tried preaching to me are born-again christians and mormons, usually in the streets. So my question is why haven't I encountered any JW's? Is the preaching work dead?

I remember one of the signs that they use to tell people they are the true religion is that they are the only ones doing a world-wide preaching work while quoting Matt 24:14. Do the rank and file really believe that crap? Are they kidding themselves? Do they realise how inneffectual they organised preaching work really is??

Just felt like having a splurge.

Cheers, DK.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Took TEN YEARS for them to knock on my door, and that was after moving within 5 blocks of a KH :)

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

They spend a lot of time at McDonalds by my house. Gotta stop there after the service meeting and then take a break after an hour. By then you have time to do that return visit on the other side of town. Opps, not home, better call it a day.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have not had a witness knock on my door in years. I live in a gated community, but still, they could find a way.

Even when I lived where there were no gates, I don't know if I ever had anyone come by. I know the elders did a sheparding call by suprise once. The look on their face was so funny when I would not let them in. Back then I still went to most of the meetings.

• wednesday
    wednesday

LOL stacy, and drop off mags at the local laundry matt so u can count your time on the way home.

• Soledad
    Soledad

where I live I only see them in the train and bus stations standing and holding magazines up. they make no attempt to speak to anyone or even make eye contact. they just stand there like statues.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Seriously, do you think that active witnesses have given up on the "preaching work"? Do you think they believe that Jehovah doesn't care?

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I'm certain many are discouraged. When the change in generation article came out it also said the end certainly would be before the end of the century. Ooops.

I hated it myself, with a passion. There certainly has to be a more effective tool that irriating people on saturday mornings.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I have understood what many have said hear to mean that JWs believe that without going door to door as much as possible (as well as go to all the meetings) they will die at Armageddon. Do you think all the time at donut shops and McDonalds suggest that the rank and file suspect this is not true?

• acsot
    acsot

Lately I have seen various people from the Gideon Society (or whatever it's called) handing out free Bibles at different subway stops here where I live. Frankly, handing out free Bibles is a much more effective way of preaching "the good news" than trying to leave Watchtower and Awake magazines with people. At least you just get the Bible, no added editorial nonsense from Brooklyn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit