Minimus & His Mother

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I love my mother dearly. She is a very good person in her late 70's. She's caring and a "good Christian woman". But, one thing about her that drives me nuts are the discussions that we have about the Bible and the "truth"......Let me give you a fairly typical conversation: Min---"How can you say that the faithful and discreet slave gets it's information from Jehovah and yet they always make mistakes?"......Mom: "Because Jehovah gives us the light and the light gets brighter and brighter".....Min----"If Jehovah is REALLY giving the information, why can't he give it to them right the first time?"----Mom: " Jehovah does give it right the first time but the Bible says all men are imperfect"......Min: "So if all men are imperfect, why trust the Faithful and discreet slave"?......Mom "Because Jehovah put them in their positions to give us the food at the proper time"....Min " But they have a history of making false predictions and changing what they say Jehovah had them think. How could Jehovah use persons that turn out to be false prophets?"....Mom " The brothers sometimes were a bit overanxious, just like the apostles and made mistakes but God still used them...... sigh-------You can't even use LOGIC anymore, Min, since you've gotten on the internet".........

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Man will never cure the common cold, devise a system of mathematics that is both complete and consistent, or be right when debating his mother.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hey Min...My mother thinks she is of the annointed (She's been a "Russelite" since she was a teen and is now 76), and I found it to be a losing battle. I only get frustrated when we get on Bible topics, so I agree with her and change the subject. Have you tried doing that?

CC

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

LOL @ Min (*pats Min on back) you should check out the post on the "Other People"... now that would blow her mind! Ahahahahahha!

Inq of the never won and argument with her mother either class....

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I'm dizzy just from reading the dialog, let alone trying to make any logic from it. Gotta love yer Mom inspite of it all.

Kate

• mustang
    mustang

Classic circular reasoning, which may have been invented by the Dubs

Mustang

• minimus
    minimus

Sometimes, I divert the discussion to other things but I have to admit I enjoy these conversations.....It makes ME feel better.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

<chuckling to myself>

Min it might make YOU feel beeter but what about her?

You will never win with a mother using logic

Touch her heart and you have a chance

• minimus
    minimus

You don't think slapping her around with a Watchtower volume is a good thing then???

• blondie
    blondie

So far, min, I would bet that their mistaken information has not directly affected your mother My experience with JWs is that the "light" doesn't dawn until they suffer personally because the WTS makes mistakes in what they think God told them.

I doubt that you will convince her ever until something like that happens.

It is a similar pattern in families of alcoholics. No matter the evidence or the proof there is an excuse for the alcoholic from the family member that is enabling the drinking.

http://alcoholism.about.com/library/weekly/aa050797.htm

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit