I Hate a Theif..!!

by CC Ryder 44 Replies latest jw friends

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Two weeks ago on a Monday afternoon our house was broken into and we were robbed. The theives took all of Tink's jewelry she owned and some of mine as well. She was wearing her wedding ring at the time but everything else is gone. They took her entire jewelry box (which her Dad made for her) and alot of costume jewelery from her Mom (which she got after her death). They took Tink's digital camera and Sony Camcorder along with two DVD players. They destroyed our kitchen door to the garage breaking in.

Our insurance has already sent a crew over to repair and repaint our kitchen, but the loss of jewelry will be pretty much a total loss. We didn't have a policy on the jewelry.

We are fortunate that they didn't harm our two dog's, some theives do harm or take animals. Tink was an hour passed the time they robbed us, which she may have walked in on it (she decided to go grocery shopping before going home). I am so thankful she was safe!

I totally despise thieves! We are both in the "anger" stage.

Our mailman and our neighbor saw them leaving our driveway. They were young in their twenties. They must have been watching our house. Tink is always home but that Monday she started her first day volunteering at the Red Cross downtown Nashville, so they knew she was gone.

I imagine some of you have experienced being robbed as well. Didn't you wish you could get your hands on the thieves for just five minutes?

Tink and I are Beginning to settle down. We are thinking of an alarm system. Not the type you connect to a security switchboard, but one that blast's out a load siren. We have heard a few different suggestions on what to do for security. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks All.

CC

• blondie
    blondie

How awful!!!! It's the same as being violated. Good thing they came when you were gone though. I'm glad to here the pets weren't harmed. A good alarm system is good only if you always set it.....

Check with your local law enforcement agencies, police or sheriff and see what they recommend.

Blondie

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((((((((((( CC & Tink))))))))))))) I'm so sorry this happened!!!

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hi blondie and XenaW! Thanks for your reply! The detective that came out said he did not recommend a security system. They are often very expensive and the thieves have easy ways to disable them. He recommended a sign and stickers for the windows. I ran this suggestion past a fellow I work with who is a part time police officer. He said his brother tried the sign and sticker idea and was robbed three times in one month and bought a security system and has not been bothered since.

We were robbed on Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning the detective came out and that afternoon a crew of repairmen fixed out door. The police had put an article in the local paper and on Wed morning an ADT salesman showed up trying to sell us an expensive system. Can you say "ambulance chaser". His action has kind of turned us off from going to a security company. He was real smug and cocky, not too sympathetic.

I do want to get something but I am confused on what to do.

Thanks again...CC

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

While riding a train in Chicago, I saw firsthand a man yank a necklace from around the neck of another passenger, and jump through the open doors of the stationary train. The doors closed and the train pulled away while the thief grinned broadly at the stunned woman.

I felt so sorry for her as she sat there crying. On that day, that man created some very negative karma for himself.

Gaiagirl

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

So sorry to hear you were robbed. Many people who've been burglarized feel alot of anger, and a sense of violation, and often find it hard to continue living in the same home afterward.

In our neighborhood we have a "neighbourhood watch" program and we try to be alert to strangers in the area. If we see someone going to a neighbour's home, we'll challenge them to see if they have any business there. We're pretty vigilant about it here, but in many areas people aren't.

In one police seminar in our area, we were encouraged to avoid having things like trees and bushes that obscure a potential entry point from the view of neighbors. They also talked about different types of locks for doors and windows, as well as different types of security systems, and the advantages of having monitored systems.

A serious thief won't break in to a house blind. He'll make an effort to know what you have of value beforehand, and he'll try to know your routine, so he can come when you're not home. Very often it will be someone who has been in your home, or knows someone who has. Also, the people who broke into your home know what they took, and will probably assume you will replace these items. Be careful! They may try again in a few weeks or months, assumeing you have replaced these items.

I've never been burglarized (yet) but I know a few people who have. I'm very careful about who I allow into my home. I'm also careful about what I say to people about my posessions, because I don't know who they'll repeat it to. And I try to keep up a good relationship with my neighbors, so we look out for each other.

You may try talking to the local police, as many departments have alot of information on how to secure your home, and programs where they teach neighbors to look out for one another in this way. Also, consider marking things of value, and keep a database with photos of your inventory on CD in a safe deposit box for insurance purposes.

Thieves really piss me off too.

Walter

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry, about the bad advice from the officer. It pays to check around with some that don't have anything to gain financially from it. Just remember to use that system......

I worked in law enforcement some time ago and am not up to date on what they have now and we have no need for security (yet) in our area.

But in the end, remember that nothing will hold back a determined thief. The worst scenario is to be home when they strike. Possessions can be replaced, but our lives are irreplaceable.

Do you have a neighborhood watch program? That has helped in some areas. I lived in an area where there was serial rapist on the prowl. The police came and checked the safety features on our homes, but she said that our neighbors being alert and us too would help. I took some self-defense training. The guy was finally caught only 3 houses down from mine, oy ve!

Blondie

• Simon
    Simon

Sorry to hear your bad news. Yes, we too have been robbed and it does make you very angry.

Why should slime walk in and take things that we have worked hard for? Robbery is treated very lightly by the courts but I think it should carry very stiff sentances and most importantly, the people involved should have to pay things back.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

We have a retired Police Officer who lives a few houses up from us. He stopped by to talk to us and he suggested a neighborhood watch. I told him I was all for it and would help in any way possible. We are planning to get something going soon.

It is a violation. Tink feels frightened, she is home alone most of the time. I have dead bolts on all doors. I am going to get electric garage door openers also, due to the fact they gained entry to the garage by easily picking the lock on the garage door.

I tend to think an alarm that has a very loud siren or horn would cause the thieves to run. I have to look into this more though. Your comments and suggestions are very appreciated and welcome. Thanks!

CC

• blondie
    blondie

CCRyder, that is a good plan with the garage doors. Two relatives of mine had their homes invaded much the same way. Check all your windows and other doors, entry to the basement, etc. Sometmes all you can do is make it more difficult to burglarize you than the house down the block.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit