How have our views changed on tolerance?

by Phantom Stranger 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

As JWs, we were taught that we had all the answers - that we knew the truth and no one else did. We were taught that no one knew as much as we did.

We were taught that we were better than others. We were taught that we could reject another person, disregard their well-being, if they behaved in certain proscribed ways, including disagreeing with us.

We (as a class) rejected homosexuals, those involved in politics, those who had sex outside marriage, those who thought we were wrong, those who thought we were wrong after at one point thinking we were right and changing their minds, those who played sports for a living, those who went to college, those who made too much money, and those who were victims of violent sexual crimes.

We were pretty black and white.

So... have we as individuals become more tolerant? How? Or have we just shifted our black-and-white gaze in a new direction?

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious
    black-and-white gaze?

We shouldn't discriminate based on color or sexual preference!

Syrup

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

so my tolerance about those who were like me haven't change.

My son who have been more implicated than me with the JW
    Never judged me ... not even with his eyes

• freedom96
    freedom96

I am very tolerant. I am not in a position to judge others. Never really did before. I just assume let others live the way they wish. I do not have to change everyone into my point of view. If I don't like the way someone acts, I simply don't hang around them.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Out of every type of person you listed PS the only one's I ever was intolerant of are the only one's I still can't stand: poloticians! Strangley when I was in junior high two of my friends included a girl who started having sex when she was 13 and a guy who I was pretty sure was gay. I found out later that he was. I think my mother was a good influence on me and taught me to get to know people before making judgements. I guess she's always been sort of a liberal JW.

~Aztec

• berylblue
    berylblue

Actually, I've always been pretty tolerant...well, for the most part.

We (as a class) rejected homosexuals, those involved in politics, those who had sex outside marriage, those who thought we were wrong, those who thought we were wrong after at one point thinking we were right and changing their minds, those who played sports for a living, those who went to college, those who made too much money, and those who were victims of violent sexual crimes.

Yes, "as a class". I think not being raised a JW helped a LOT. I had already pretty much developed my attitude toward others and, thanks to my mother's (and, believe it or not, my father's) stellar caring and generous attitude, it was loving and tolerant. I tried very hard never to judge anyone, always stating that Jehovah was the final judge. Little did I realize...

• Maverick
    Maverick

I'm basically the same core person I was pre and post dud. I am cool about a lot of things. I get real uncool when I think someone is a bully, physically or intellectually. I always had a hard time with the J-dud masters value system on other types of people. When I see a person act militant, merciless or brutal, and then try to justify it in the name of logic or reason, I don't buy it for one second. And my opinion of that person is in the flusher after that. And it ain't coming back! So I can be very unreasonable about some things and I'm fine with it. I'm OK with not having a "perfect person" self image. Maverick

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I was speaking with my daughter last weekend about tolerance. We were going to a wedding that I was in. One of my non-JW friends was getting married. They were having a Methodist minister, pastor Dorthy Anne, do the traditional service at a beautiful, but not opulent Presbyterian church. To prime my daughter I told her that a woman would be doing the service. She said "That's really weird." I told her that it wasn't. It's only weird to you because it's not what you are used to. There are many people for whom this is the most normal thing in the world. Just because it's different from what you are used to does not mean that it's bad.

Of course, she had a bit of a hard time swallowing this. After the wedding, I told her, "see, it was a simple service. They are just as married as any JW wedding. They even talk about the same things...looking out for one another's happiness and being true to one another. Even having god in the marriage." She finally agreed that we aren't so different.

The intolerant attitude is alot of why I left. The taliban like treatment of women in some congregations, the exclusion and labeling of any who are not at least studying. It made me sick.

Ern

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I went to a class on cultural competancy at work awhile back and they pointed out that "tolerance" comes from "tolerate" which is a negative thing. On the road to acceptance, but not there yet. Tolerance implies that someone is less than you or that they are incorrect, it is patronizing. This was a viewpoint that I was not familiar with. But in thinking about it I see that it is correct.

We shouldn't discriminate based on color or sexual preference!

Just a side note, it is not sexual preference, it is sexual orientation. Don't want to get into an argument about this, but usually those who use that terminology do it because they believe we have some choice in the matter. And yes, I am oriented gay.

Gretchen

• minimus
    minimus

Good thread, Phantom......I like to think of myself as more tolerant than ever before. I consciously try to relate to other's experience in life. Personally, if a person has different standards or opinions, that's ok----even if they are wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit