Australian Congregations announce Child Safeguarding Policy is available upon request

by wifibandit 52 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

This week all congregations in Australia have been instructed to make the following announcement:

If a member of the congregation would like a copy of the Child Safeguarding Policy of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Australia, please see the coordinator of the body of elders or the secretary.

ChildSafeguardingPolicy-EAu.pdf

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I wonder how many takers there will be.

I'm sure they will have a big stack printed and ready to distribute immediately after that announcement...

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

And, dang, did they learn nothing?

Only UNREPENTANT child abusers are disfellowshipped.

Say "sorry" and you're still good to go in the congregation.

Sigh...

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Available on request.... Announced once, then what?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

WTF

oh well we all knew it would be a half hearted attempt.

The ARC were trying to get through to them that they had to ensure every congregation member recieved a copy, not only in Australia but world wide

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Good. It's not perfect. It should be downloadable from the web site but it's a big step in the right direction. Why this took so long to get even this far is madness but let's be thankful that Australia is the first place to do this and hopefully won't be the last.

My money is on the UK to preempt the current inquiry...

• zeb
    zeb

Wifibandit.... "please see the coordinator of the body of elders or the secretary."

and anyone who knows witness 'culture' will result in a flag going up; "what do they/you want that for?"

Obrien and Spinks said it would be "made available".

and as Great Teacher said "HM takers will there be" In jw think to ask for this means you might be involved.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    And, dang, did they learn nothing?
    Only UNREPENTANT child abusers are disfellowshipped.
    Say "sorry" and you're still good to go in the congregation.
    Sigh...

Question is what do you really expect them to do? Are you saying that no one could be a Witness if they had been convicted of being a abuser? They are allowed to have jobs, travel, have relationships etc. so why would they be banned from ever being a Witness? They could be DF'ed but are you saying that they could never be reinstated? What about a study that wants to be baptised? Does being a pedo prevent them from being allowed in the hall? I'd love it to be the case but I don't think it's realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the underlying sentiment however it's not DFing someone that keeps children safe. All it's done in the past is push the problem away from being any concern of the WTS. It's not a protection in itself.

What is a protection is someone being reported to and dealt with by the authorities. Congregation sanctions have done very little to protect children. Being arrested by the police has.

• waton
    waton
    They are allowed to have jobs, travel, kc99:

A convicted child molester will have difficulty traveling across the borders in North America.

take pole vaulting training to get over the wall.

• steve2
    steve2

Astonishingly, not one single, solitary mention in the document of the over-shadowing "two-witness" rule. Yet, it remains concretely in place.

As Angus Stewart argued, JW organization's child sexual abuse policy is all over the place, with a "bit" here and a "bit" there with no single document where it can be evaluated as a whole.

WHat are we to conclude? Above all else, religious pride rules this heinous organization. I could have expected then to dig their toes in over hallmark "Christian" requirements to do with preaching their message. But that they have dug themselves in firmly over a policy on child-sex abuse speaks loudly about where this organization's core values are - and they are not centred anywhere near children's safety.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit