My mother's treatment. Unreal.

by quellycatface 18 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyGal
    HappyGal

Where is the love? We know it is a cult but it still hurts doesn't it? I'm so sorry you were treated that way.

• steve2
    steve2

Quell, this is a sad example of JW 'love' in action. Your mother never acknowledging your son is so sad. They say they don't need dates on calendars to give loved ones gifts as on birthdays. Fair enough. But typically it results in young ones seldom getting gifts. So much for the theory behind JW gift giving! I loved my JW grandparents, but have extremely few memories of their ever giving me or my siblings gifts.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Well we were warned that folks would be without "natural affection" ,

Sorry, that wasn't helpful,

I just get overcome with the irony sometimes,

I moved 3000 miles away,

I talk to my Mom who is 84 by phone,

I have rejected religion completely,

After all it was Jesus Christ who said HE was was bringing a sword against relatives!

I'm happy to hear about your happy little family,

Give strength to one another,

Peace,

Tepid,

:0)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

It's what the cult does. One of my sons told me after I quit going that I don't matter. They are just programmed zombies that only deal with in family and friends at thier hall. When people leave the hall and go to another one just a few minutes away they will hardly even see them again even if they were best friends when at the same hall.

My wife pretty much replaced her mother and father with a older couple at her hall even though her parents are still witnesses yet live a couple thousand miles away.

Its just sick discussing programming.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I spent $1700 traveling several states away to visit my elderly mom on short notice, so the flight was expensive. "The Friends" 😬 said she was unwell and I should come. Of the five days I was out there, I saw her three times. The last day of my trip, Sunday, she left me sitting in a motel room while she went to the meeting; afterwards she went to lunch with "the friends." She texted me at 4:30 in the afternoon that she was free and I could come over now.

She wonders why I didn't come visit her this year. Gee, I wonder why.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I spent $1700 traveling several states away to visit my elderly mom on short notice, so the flight was expensive. "The Friends" 😬 said she was unwell and I should come. Of the five days I was out there, I saw her three times. The last day of my trip, Sunday, she left me sitting in a motel room while she went to the meeting; afterwards she went to lunch with "the friends." She texted me at 4:30 in the afternoon that she was free and I could come over now.

She wonders why I didn't come visit her this year. Gee, I wonder why.

Sounds like my parents, and we are still "in"! My parents are disappointed we don't "reach out" more, but have learned to stop bringing that up and pestering us on the issue. Instead they are just passive aggressive in expressing their feelings on how important theocratic activities are.

Although they constantly lament that they never got to see us (we lived several hours away), whenever did come out for a weekend visit, would they adjust they're schedules? Nope. They still went out in service on Saturday; still went to KH cleaning and held all their Bible studies; still went to the meeting on Sunday and took the speaker out to hospitality afterward. After everything was finally done about 3:00 on a Sunday, we would start packing up for our drive home. They would immediately start in on how they barely got to spend any time with us all weekend!

We finally had our fill when circumstances moved us a 12hr+ flight from them, to where it's unlikely we'll be back for several years. We proposed coming out for one last weekend visit to spend with the family (out-of-town siblings and spouses included). Brother-in-law couldn't come at all because he had a talk out on Sunday. Mom and Dad still went out in Saturday service and still left us to go to the meeting on Sunday (they're trying to reinforce a "spiritual routine" with my 7 year old nephew). Meanwhile, we took my brother and his wife out to a nice champagne brunch. By the time they made it back from the Sunday meeting, we were packing up for our trip home. They're getting to the age where it's obvious they'll never learn.

And they wonder why we aren't close as a family?!

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Whoever disliked quellycatface's post is a douche.

• Happeanna
    Happeanna

My mother and father were like that , meetings, ministry, their 'brothers and sisters' over for meals. Nothing but nothing got in the way of service to their god.

but when my mum got older she softened even my dad did too The last thing he said to me was reassuring that he loved me because I wasn't a hypocrite and that he didn't want me to change ... Even though we had had many disagreements in the years before he died about JW the UN fiasco etc and how Jehovah was a vindictive god so..

my mother too just wanted me there when she died even though I have many siblings

she said you have never lost your spirituality and I will see you very soon , she trusted me completely and always winked at me as if she knew the tatt ! That was after being a jdub 59 year.

so don't give up with family but stay true to yourself

• new boy
    new boy

Tell her that even though you may be a disappointment to her. What has her grandson done to her to be treated this way? Tell her, your son hasn't made a decision about being a JW let. But since she would rather spend time trying to bring strangers into the "tooth" then spent time with her own family. Your son is seeing what the witnesses are really all about! They like to use guilt.....use it on them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit