How do you feel about privacy?

by iiz2cool 22 Replies latest jw friends

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

The more we allow commercial data mining, the more opportunities arise for identity theft.

How do I know that the person asking me for personal information isn't going to transfer it to a private database so he/she can assume my identity and destroy my credit?

Now the airlines, with the blessings of the U.S. government, want to do the same thing with a new program they will institute soon called CAPPS II. How do I know that the friendly airline employee behind the counter won't take the information which CAPPS II data mined on me and use it for selfish gain? After this program is instituted, I intend to boycott the airline industry until it is stopped.

By the way, I run my AdAware 6 daily. It's amazing how many data miners are slyly installed on my computer witholut my knowledge every day, usually through pop-up ads. I purge my computer of the data miners nightly.

I am strongly opposed to invasions of privacy in any form. I am a pretty public person, but there is some information which no one has the right to ask me, unless I know specifically what it is being used for.

• Aztec
    Aztec

At all of the picture frame shops I've worked at we had to get personal information so that the person could be reached when their work was done. We needed addresses in case they could not be reached by phone. My bosses usually wanted me to get personal information for any sale over $100 so that could do mailers but I never pushed it if the customer didn't want to. If they don't want coupon mailers no skin off my nose. If someone sees something like, wants to take it with them and pays cash, what right do I have to their personal info?

~Aztec

PS Walter, I hate Radio Shack! I've gotten into arguements with them about that same thing.

• berylblue
    berylblue

At my present job, we never let a consumer off the phone without getting her zip code and favorite flavor. It's used for marketing/marketing research. It's a big help to the client (Quaker) because they know in which area which flavors are the favorites. But I hate doing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit