Noah...that drunken boat builder?

by shotgun 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jws
    jws

X chromosomes are the common link. All human ovum contain the X chromosome, and sperm are either an X or a Y. Gender is determined by the sperm.

XX=Female, XY=Male

Actually, this sets the blueprint, not the outcome. All humans start off with the equipment for both sexes. With no hormonal interaction, the fetus becomes female. The Mullerian duct forms the uterus and the Wolffian duct shrivels. The introduction of two hormones are required to produce a male. One causes the the Wollfian ducts to form into the male genitalia and the other inhibits Mullerian to cause the Mullerian ducts to shrivel.

In experiments with rabbit fetuses, the testicles were removed at a certain point in development and the rabbits formed into fully functioning females that could reproduce, though they still had the XY chromosone.

So, XY doesn't tell the whole story. Becoming male requires more to happen during the gestation period and is therefore slightly less likely. So the odds would seem to favor female births.

But, maybe the odds are offset at the fertilization. The XYs are faster swimmers but die faster. The XX sperms are slower and live longer. Maybe the XYs make it to the egg slightly more often so that in the end the odds are about the same. More XY's to offset the possibility that hormones don't kick in to produce a male.

• larc
    larc

Heathen, I live over one state from Little Witch. In Ohio, there are geological phenomena called glaceral grooves. The can be found on Kelley's Island in Lake Erie. Have you ever seen them? I have. They are grooves that are about 50 yards long, over ten feet deep and about 20 feet across. The explaination for them is that the rocks embedded in the glaciers cut these groove, much like a lath cuts metal. For the life of my, I don't see how a flood could make this king of imprint on solid rock. Perhaps, you have an explaination.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Heathen... in Alberta.. you can take a trip to the Athabascan Glacier... 900 feet thick, trust me when I say, that will convince you of an iceage.... the thing has been melting steady for years... They say it takes about 30 years for something to melt out of it... ie: wildlife...and it took years for it to freeze to the size it was... pushing that Glacier is a vast field of ice called the Columbian Ice Fields... it's HUGE... and Illinios is a great example of what these huge mountains of ice do... there was an iceage... no doubt about it.... putting God into the equation just won't disprove that.... straining the knat to gulp down the camel....

Hope this helps

Inq

• heathen
    heathen

Now these are some interesting comments . I am aware that there are some glaciers but just can't envision the entire planet being subzero temperatures for a hundred thousand years . The flood story could easily fit in the equation to where the glaciers came from .

jws --- that's a nice piece of research there . I guess I will keep my theories to myself for now on . My point is really that we don't know and all we can do is guess .

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Heathen, Ohio is quite a long ways from the North Pole. Take a look at what Larc is referring to.

The grooves on Kelley's Island have been the source of debate for over 100 years. Some say they were cut by glacier ice, others say by jets of subglacial water. Note the curved forms suggesting fluid flow. The smaller grooves lie inside a larger one framed by the fence. You are looking in the direction that the glacier flowed. Note the texture line about 1/2 way up the grooves. Above this line the limestone bedrock is more weathered than below the line because till was more recently removed, exposing the grooves. See an example from Hargreaves Glacier.

• rem
    rem
    I am aware that there are some glaciers but just can't envision the entire planet being subzero temperatures for a hundred thousand years

Dude, whoever said the entire planet was ever frozen? Seriously, enroll in some science courses at your nearest community college. This is definitely not rocket science - this is freshman year high school stuff. Not trying to be mean, but come on.

rem

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Yes, the ice ageS occurred when a convergence of climatic and oceanic phenomena reduced the average temperature 10-15 degrees. These phenomena historically fluctuated and naturally produced peaks and valleys in the mean temperature. The present and unprecedented balance of moderating factors that exist today are very fragile. Hence the concern about warming the arctic seas that ironically may worsen the impending ice age to come.

• heathen
    heathen

jayhawk --- I don't think you know what an ice age is . I have watched some discovery channel in my day.

Peacfulpete--- That sounds about right from what I've seen and heard. It seems there is an open debate as to what will happen to the planet an Ice age verses global warming and the planet turning into venus . Lots of theories out there . I tend to think the global warming is more likely . They know the sea level is rising due to polar ice melting . They do say that if the glaciers melt it will cause the sea level to rise as well . I found some interesting stuff by doing a google search on glaciers .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit