In the Shadow of Sin-Portuguese documentary

by the girl next door 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

https://youtu.be/8UE3--fnSH8

The portuguese channel TVI in Portugal, broadcast this documentary in October 2015 about Jehovah's Witnesses. Child abuse, shunning, blood transfusions and many other topics were mentioned in this report.

The documentary makers asked for a response from the leadership of Jehovah’s Witnesses to the damaging statements made by survivors of child abuse and domestic violence.

The response was silence except for an attempt to make the documentary die by trying to blacken the journalist Ana Leal’s credibility.

VIdeo has English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UE3--fnSH8&feature

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

The girl next door, Thank You for this post! I remember this documentary being mentioned a few weeks ago and was hoping there would be a translated version into English.

I am part way through it and it is excellent.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo
    This video is very well done. Great editing, great interviews.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Well, I saw the video on the day after it was shown on TVI. I think it felt short, it could have been much more powerful. They inserted too much abstract footage and music as fillers and left a lot of substance out. Nevertheless it was factually correct, which is a rare thing in investigative journalism in Portugal when it comes to JWs. The most powerful moments were when José Carlos Malato (portuguese TV personality, whom I knew when I was a kid) spoke about his experience and how he struggled with his homosexuallity within the JWs; and also when three JWs disassociated live on camera. Apart from that, I have found it a bit of a missed opportunity. In any case, I know it shook a few people.

Eden

Sadly the followup doesn't have subtitles. Ana tried to get some response after the first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9yYAbywj_0 But Bethel didn't want to talk with her.
  • TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso

I would like to add to what was said before: this documentary was seen by over 2 million Portuguese on the day, the most viewed in 2015. He beat all records and even the journalist was surprised by the interest generated around its report (nothing I had not already told her that was to happen) .

So much so, that she was invited in the next week to a morning TV show to clarify details on the report and after the second piece journalistic caused by the misrepresentation of Splane, she was invited to an evening of TV program to talk more once on the report.

This was the first report seriously about Jehovah’s Witnesses, like what has happened in other countries.

If someone wants to give you congratulations for the part and/or encourage her to continue to investigate the matter, here is your email: [email protected]

I will translate this second piece too. ;)

• TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso
    I would like to invite all of you to share this doc. I think is one of the best docs about Jw ever made.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I think it was an excellent coverage that dealt with many issues competently in such a short period of time .

Well done , kudos to the producer , and the participants.

It was up to date topical and covered the Australian Royal Commission Into Child Abuse By Institutions.

Thanks for posting the girl next door , I have shared it on twitter .

T.J.C. That`s good news , over 2 million viewers that get a birds eye view of the organization .

I have also sent an email as you suggest

smiddy

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I think the follow up is more powerful and damaging than the original work!

Eden

• Zoos
    Zoos
    marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit